Some common internal problems and how to fix them

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by willer2122, Jul 28, 2012.

1. willer2122

willer2122 Member

Pittsburgh
    I am thinking about starting to buy broken or 'boneyard' guns and fixing them to sell. I dont know too much about gearbox internals but i was thinking about starting simple with springers and maybe cheap sniper rifles and moving up to aegs and gas guns. I guess this might be a general info thread for me and anyone who also would like to try this. So: what are some commonly occuring problems in any type of airsoft gun and how would these problems be fixed?

2. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The boeyard JG AUG I bought recently had a catastrophic gearbox failure, lots of broken parts. You risk getting a gun with a pulverized gearbox, if you're lucky you could get a gun with just a stripped piston or something. You'll simply have to replace any broken parts, and do a full overhaul on the gearbox with re-shimming and such. I guess stripped pistons and gears are pretty common.

3. willer2122

willer2122 Member

Pittsburgh
    I was kind of hoping that this thread could be used as a resource for all of the people new to airsoft internals but would be comfortable opening up their gun, like me. Somthing like this:

Problem: Gun will not fire
    Probable cause(s): blown fuse, dead battery, burnt out motor, could be one or more of many electrical failures.

Somthing like that and maybe even get it stickied

4. armsofglory

armsofglory New Member

Troubleshooting guide? Don't we already have one of these? And AEGs are much easier than sniper rifles and are much more useful and you get more money back if you sell them if you get AEGs.

5. jjhspartan

jjhspartan New Member

Myrtle Beach
  6. Hydra572

Hydra572 New Member

Superior
  7. willer2122

willer2122 Member

Pittsburgh
    I just saw the elite mechbox mods, but if i wanted to know whether to replace my motor, battery, trigger contacts, fuse or a combination of them, which of those stickies would help me with those? (just an example I have no shooting problems right now)

8. Hydra572

Hydra572 New Member

Superior
    Alright you've got me there I suppose.

If you think you may have a problem electrically:

Check your battery. Try another.
    If no dice, check your fuse, wiring, and trigger contacts.
    If there are no defects in your wiring, and your motor will not spin with the motor outside the GB, replace the motor. and install a FET.

9. g36fanatic

g36fanatic New Member

I took my gear box aprt to put a bigger spring in but it all fell out I got evertything but the trigger contacts how do I put that in

10. CajunAirsoft

CajunAirsoft New Member

Well I guess you have a g36 those are v3 if my mind serves me. Go watch a version 3 gearbox reassembly vid on YouTube. Do you mean your spring exploded the gearbox??

11. g36fanatic

g36fanatic New Member

Yea when I went to open I forgot to reset the spring and it just popped open and everything came out

12. CajunAirsoft

CajunAirsoft New Member

Then find all your parts and do what I said ^