Something that's been bugging me.

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by gunnerk19, Apr 10, 2018.

1. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Active Member

Rumford
    Looking at numerous retailers ads for guns, I see time and time again these words at the bottom of the product description...

"Note: Battery and Charger DOES NOT come with purchase of rifle"

WHY?

Why do places sell airsoft guns without the means to use them right out of the box???

When you buy a car from a dealership do you have to go someplace else to buy the battery?

That's damned stupid, if you ask me.

Rant / off.

2. LT72884

LT72884 Member

Same. Its ghetto in my opinion. All airsoft guns should come with lipo and smart charger.

3. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Well there are other issues.

When you buy a real firearm does it come with rounds? No...it doesn't. Same principle, its extra.

Plus would you want the bundled battery and charger? Not many come with bbs any more either.

Most of the new player kits that include a spare battery, bbs and charger is the cheapest of the cheap. Yet, it's a 20.00 up charge at wholesale.

I would rather you save the 30 to 40 and get good items...versus cheap junk in a bundle.

Putting in good bbs, battery and a charger is at cost about 40.00. Wholesale mark-up dictates that you have a 70.00 value add-in and then at retail that jumps another $30-40.00.

Plus the AEG maker has to manage another component in their "package". Oh, and packaging costs increases also, plus shipping restriction for the battery may be an issue too.

Wh33ler likes this.
  4. Sitting_Duck

Sitting_Duck Well-Known Member

Which one 7.4v or 11.1v
    B6 or slower B3 type lipo charger
    It all adds to the cost & I don't need another charger atm

Some cheapo China starter guns come with a lame 8.4v nimah & lame trickle charger
    But most $150 guns upwards do not include lame freebies (nothing is free)
    That the average airsoft will just discard - yeah I got a "few" of them trickle chargers

Cheap starter guns might chuck in a crappy battery to get you going
    But a decent lipo & charger is adding say $20+ when most players might have/prefer their own
    Often some retailers may offer a starter package to get you going
    But in the end you find better cheaper places like HobbyKing for LiPo

Plus often Imight change stock or gun and use a different type of LiPo
    (often a block type battery (cheaper & more options) than a crane stock)

I'd rather see all guns come with decent wiring & deans fitted already
    (some guns are starting to do this but most still use small tamiya)

Wh33ler and LT72884 like this.
  5. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Active Member

Rumford
    I just saw the pre order for the Ares SR25 from Evike and the price is $528.

No battery or charger.

Five hundred twenty eight dollars.

For that kind of money I expect everything I need to come with it.

I can kind of see if you're buying a sub-$150 gun that the peripherals might be extra, but come on.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  6. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree with the others, I prefer that they put those 20 bucks into making the gun slightly better, instead of a charger and battery that'll go in the trash anyway.

Kurzciel likes this.
  7. Sitting_Duck

Sitting_Duck Well-Known Member

If I had $528 spare for entertainment I can assure you it wouldn't be blown on toy guns

Wh33ler, Spaxer310 and BOA_SP3CT3R like this.
  8. Lefse

But toy guns are good entertainment...

HeymrT, 16harrij, Wh33ler and 4 others like this.
  9. interceptor

interceptor Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Los Angeles
    I wouldn't blow it on toy guns more than twice in my life...maybe.

10. Spaxer310

Spaxer310 New Member

Los Angeles
    IMO the higher end guns are more for people who have been involved with the sport more frequent, so they know what runs better in the gun than having something come in the box with the gun that's just gonna look like an even cheaper paper weight.

BTW i think $528 is chump change to someone that would buy those Krytec $1,042 gun that's in the showcase at Evike lol THATS REDICULOUS!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

11. Han_Multiplayer

Han_Multiplayer Member

Harrisonburg
    I think the most convenient way is if retailers gave an option to add a battery with the gun.

12. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oceanside
    No, because retailers aren't honest, promote incorrect info, and overprice consumable products (including batteries).

CommandoJoe likes this.
  13. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Active Member

Winchester
    I would much rather buy a reliable battery I had done research on elsewhere. Not some cheap Chinese knockoff and some trickle charger. There is a thing called the internet for a reason, do your research kids, take the statistics and decide based on the info at hand.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  14. Dwosky

Dwosky Member

+1 for replicas without batteries or chargers.

I believe with some older replicas I purchased (like the JG G36C), I didn't even took out the battery from the box. I prefer using a battery I know it works prior to the NiMH **** some manufacturers add. Both stock batteries from JG and a Specna I had previously went directly to the recycle plant.

As stated with other colleagues, I prefer the manufacturers spend those $20-30 in enhancing the product or lowering its sell value instead of bringing a battery.

BTW, my last purchase was an ICS APE (~450€/~$550) and I didn't complain that it came without a lousy battery. The quality of the gun its really great for that price.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  15. Wh33ler

Wh33ler Active Member

Denton
    Allow me to interject something here for a moment.

Thinking about the analogy with buying a new car. When you buy a new car, yes it comes with a battery. But does the dealership (the retailer in this case) put it in there? No. The manufacturer does. Now if the battery that's in it goes bad, then yes the dealership would have to replace it, but then they warranty it out and the manufacturer reimburses them. But for all intents and purposes, the dealership doesn't supply the battery. The manufacturer does.

Now supposing the manufacturer did include a battery and charger with their guns. Would it be the one you want? Are they going to put a decent battery in that will give the gun optimal performance? Of course not. They're going to put something in with it that they know will work but not push the gun anywhere near its limits to protect their liability and limit warranty claims. Auto manufacturer manufacturers don't put performance parts in their cars that will push them to their absolute limits. They can't warranty that. Rather they build the cars to an acceptable standard that will give the consumer -some- satisfaction and will still limit their liability for needed repairs inside the warranty period.

So back to airsoft. Manufactures know the consumer is likely going to modify their product, push it closer to its limits, squeeze every bit of usefulness & performance out of their gun. So rather than include a sub-par, bottom of the barrel battery and charger (which will raise manufacturing costs that will ultimately be pushed on to the consumer), why not save everyone a few dollars and let the consumer make their own decision and spend their hard-earned money on something they actually want. Kinda the way the world works ladies & gentlemen.

CommandoJoe and BOA_SP3CT3R like this.
  16. Wh33ler

Wh33ler Active Member

Denton
    Um.......not sure how long it's been since you actually shopped but.....they DO.

-Spitfire- and OPERATOR SPECTRE like this.
  17. Wh33ler

Wh33ler Active Member

Denton
    Having recently just spent $600+ on a new Sig P320 w/ tritium sights I can assure you it did NOT come with ammo. And even if it would've, it would only have been used at the range because it would be cheap 55 grain target FMJ's that were likely reloads, rather than the nearly $30/box Hornady Personal Defense rounds I keep it loaded with.

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  18. Han_Multiplayer

Han_Multiplayer Member

Harrisonburg
    Nope. That's not what I meant. Picture a drop down box on the gun page with an option to add a battery. E.g. 'Add Valken 7.4 Lipo +$10.00'

Would be pretty convenient to first time buyers.

19. Wh33ler

Wh33ler Active Member

Denton
    Yeah.....they have that. I don't know about Evike, but I know ASGI has a drop down box to add battery & charger.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  20. Lefse

I'm fairly sure Redwolf Airsoft has had that for more than a decade.

-Spitfire- likes this.