SpeedSoft CQB Pistol

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by mTrext, Oct 10, 2017.

1. mTrext

mTrext New Member

Atlanta
    Guys, I need some advice because I am building a pistol for speedsoft arena play and I need help choosing what base gun to get and all the upgrades to make it a monster. I normally play arena, but a little field is included. I want a pistol that I can use for competitive arena play. Any advice would help. Right now, I don't have a budget.

2. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member

Bull Shoals
    Hi Capa. Definitely a Hi Capa for speedsoft.
    #speedsoftnation

3. mTrext

mTrext New Member

Atlanta
    I also need to know a list for upgrades. I want to know what hop up upgrade, barrel, and slide upgrade I should get.

4. Whalesmash

Whalesmash Member

Thousand Oaks
    Airsoft masterpiece slide of your choosing. UAC blowback housing. If it's hot/warm where you play, upgrade the nozzle to the uac aluminium loading nozzle. If it's cooler then don't worry about it unless you plan on running black gas. 125% loading nozzle spring. PDI 6.01 inner barrel, maple leaf autobot 60 degree. 125% recoil spring, 125% hammer spring. Since budget isn't an issue, might as well upgrade the guide rod and get some fiber optic sights. If you're short stroke crazy, upgrade the nozzle spring higher to a 140%. Other than that, maybe a uac leaf spring if you want a lighter trigger pull. Other stuff is mostly just preference. Honestly, you probably don't need to splurge like this. A stock hicapa is a pretty remarkable thing aside from the fairly low power.

MADR77 likes this.
  5. mTrext

mTrext New Member

Atlanta
    I'm not sure which Hi Capa to get. I would like some recomendations. Also, How could I get higher FPS out of it?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  6. RockNRoll33

RockNRoll33 Active Member Supporting Member

Buford
    TM Hi capa not WE just spend extra to get TM. TM=Tokyo Marui

7. Shady

Shady Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Disregard most of what this guy said.

Get a TM hicapa. Leave the hopup and barrel alone. Don't change out the slide for a metal one unless it ends up breaking which it probably won't. A plastic slide is much lighter than metal and will cycle much faster as a result. Go for a stronger recoil spring, 125% will probably work just fine. You can DIY by putting a couple washers on the recoil spring rod to shorten your cylce time. The slide doesn't have to go all the way back, just enough to reset the hammer and load the next round. Most of what you're going to add are race gun accessories that you can find on Evike like cocking levers and such to make the overall use of the gun faster, not just the gun itself.

axlej11, Zaryk, BOA_SP3CT3R and 2 others like this.
  8. Whalesmash

Whalesmash Member

Thousand Oaks
    If he was budget minded, I might agree with you, but he explicitly stated there wasn't a budget. What I offered was a build that, bar stock hop up unit and outer barrel (since I forgot about it) will last effectively forever. Both of my plastic slides on my 5.1's wore out after a year of play. (again it's hot here, may be a factor) He also mentioned playing field with his pistol which means you want the capacity to use heavier bb's. In my experience with all the hicapa's i've owned or otherwise built and sold, the stock barrel and hop rubber couldn't hop anything over a 0.25. For some, 0.25 is enough, but that can drop below 300 fps depending on climate. Also, punching through bushes with such low velocity doesn't tend to work very well. My current build which is fairly similar to what I suggested clocks a 0.3g bb at 310 fps (joule creeping a bit for outdoor), while a 0.2g clocks at 350 (barely fits in for indoor). I do play in fairly hot climate 90 degree weather has been normal for the past few months. At one particularly hot day where it was around 98 degrees, one of my loading nozzles exploded because my magazines were warm and the gas was thus under significantly higher pressure, thus I suggested upgrading the nozzle. I'm not going to come out and say "nu you're wrong!" because what you have listed is a viable solution for a certain set of circumstances (lower budget, cooler climate, etc) My offering is simply based on my own experiences. Since op's question is fairly open ended, my solution should not be any less valid than yours

9. Shady

Responses in bold. I kept my recommendations low budget because there's no point in the OP spending an arm and a leg on upgrades that aren't really necessary when he could spend much less and get better results.

Zaryk, BOA_SP3CT3R and -Spitfire- like this.
  10. Whalesmash

Whalesmash Member

Thousand Oaks
    I'm not here to argue, as I can only speak to my own personal experiences. It's up to you whether you want to call bs or not. I've only built 2 hicapas for friends and owned 3 throughout my time playing. Perhaps that is considered a low sample size?

In regards to the hopping 0.3g's, if the stock hop up unit can do it, then I must be doing something wrong. I tried everything from using a steel hop up arm so it wouldn't bend, I tried the straw mod, I tried using an Ikey (which worked at the cost of accuracy), but no matter what I did, I could not get the same trajectory with a 0.3 as I could with a 0.25. By no means do the 0.3s tank to the floor, but they did not sail out with that tiny lift at the end of their flight path the way they could with a 0.2 or 0.25. In my experience, the autobot gave me an fps boost as well as better capacity to use heavier bb's.

Lemon nozzle, sure I can concede that. It is only 1/5 after all.

Budget comment: is my solution excessive? Absolutely. You do not need to buy all the things I suggested, but if you had an unlimited budget, why not? Besides, an aluminium slide will be more durable than a plastic slide 99% of the time and offer much more options in terms of making the pistol more "yours"

Also, please explain how the relatively stock build you have suggested offers superior performance than what I listed. The only thing your build has changed is the cyclic rate of the pistol. Countering this point, I would say that if you bought an aggressively ported slide (triangle slide from airsoft masterpiece comes to mind, it weighs 70 grams) with short stroking and a stronger recoil spring, the cyclic rate would be near identical. In fact, you could probably buy any AM aluminium slide, short stroke and upgrade the recoil spring and it would have a similar cyclic rate. For the record, a short stroked plastic slide would effectively cycle as fast as a hicapa extreme 45 full auto which does somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 rounds per second. Nobody could ever shoot a semi auto pistol that quick. Even without the short stroke in the extreme 45, it is around 20 rps which is still out of reach. The only argument I would make for a plastic slide is that the recoil (lol airsoft recoil) is marginally easier to control since there is less weight moving around. If stock tm pistols with the build you suggested were better than aftermarket ones, then every speedsofter or competitive shooter would be using them. Hell, the fact that the aftermarket support for the hicapa is so flooded with different parts to the point that you can build a hicapa from scratch, let alone all the people that sell custom work, should say something.\

Lastly, isn't this a forum? This is supposed to be a place for discussion rather than "disregard most of what this guy said". Explain what makes your build better rather than trying to attack my credibility with "I'm going to call bull" or "That must not be many hicapa's" or "that's cute".

11. Shady

I just don't see the point in spending all that money on pointless "upgrades" when the budget option will perform better. That money could easily be spent on custom externals, like the cocking lever and such that I previously mentioned, to make it more of a Race Gun, along with spare magazines, holsters, etc etc....

12. Whalesmash

Whalesmash Member

Thousand Oaks

I seem to have edited my post after you had replied, sorry, didn't catch it. I'll post my add on here.

Please explain how the relatively stock build you have suggested offers superior performance than what I listed. The only thing your build has changed is the cyclic rate of the pistol. Countering this point, I would say that if you bought an aggressively ported slide (triangle slide from airsoft masterpiece comes to mind, it weighs 70 grams) with short stroking and a stronger recoil spring, the cyclic rate would be near identical. In fact, you could probably buy any AM aluminium slide, short stroke and upgrade the recoil spring and it would have a similar cyclic rate. For the record, a short stroked plastic slide would effectively cycle as fast as a hicapa extreme 45 full auto which does somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 rounds per second. Nobody could ever shoot a semi auto pistol that quick. Even without the short stroke in the extreme 45, it is around 20 rps which is still out of reach. Now a stock hicapa doesn't cycle that quick, so your argument for short stroking a stock slide does hold some merit, but I would still wager that any slide, aftermarket (aluminium) or stock, with a shortstroke and upgraded recoil spring, would cycle faster than the user could spam the trigger. The only argument I would make for a plastic slide is that the recoil (lol airsoft recoil) is marginally easier to control since there is less weight moving around. If stock tm pistols with the build you suggested were better than aftermarket ones, then every speedsofter or competitive shooter would be using them stock. Hell, the fact that the aftermarket support for the hicapa is so flooded with different parts to the point that you can build a hicapa from scratch, let alone all the people that sell custom work, should say something.

Regardless, I most certainly agree with you in that the money that could go to such extravagant "upgrades" could be better spend on additional magazines and some external fiddly things or magpouches (everyone always overlooks mag pouches). If this was a budget build, my suggestion would almost identically mirror yours. (Except I still think the autobot bucking and a tighter bore barrel for that 20-30 fps boost would still be a cheap and effective upgrade) However, without any budget restrictions, who wouldn't want to go wild with the things they did? Hell, I'd even be crazy to the point of building a hicapa from scratch. I just don't see what makes my build invalid to the point where my suggestion should be ignored or otherwise snubbed.

13. MADR77

MADR77 Well-Known Member

Boise
    I legit short stroked my TM XTREME 45 and swapped out the barrel with an aftermarket one and it turned many heads at whichever indoor field I visited. I don't have much experience with other race pistols but that seemed to do the trick just fine for me and I imagine a 125% recoil spring coupled with the above would create an absolute monster for under $300 with extra magazines.

14. Shady

And again, see the bold. Sure, you can spend a fortune on all the bells and whistles but they're not necessary and in a lot of cases are a downgrade. I just think it's idiotic to do so when you could spend that money on other things. I've built from scratch, owned, upgraded, etc etc well over 100 hicapas of all makes over the past 10 years, trust me I know the numbers and I know that the AM slides are no better for a speed build than the stock plastic.

Zaryk and BOA_SP3CT3R like this.
  15. Whalesmash

Whalesmash Member

Thousand Oaks
    Much better answer, thank you. I still disagree on some points, but I think we will just have to agree to disagree. My objective in suggesting such a build to him was to have a resilient gun as well as a good performing and good looking gun. I made my suggestion around the entire idea of using an aftermarket slide simply because my experience has had all my plastic slides crack in the same spot after exactly 1 year of use. (back right side of the slide around where the texturing is, running vertically from the base of the rear sight to the bottom of the slide) The rest of the upgrades are intended to supplement the need for more power due to heavier springs being used and more weight being shifted around. Bringing the power output of the pistol closer to the joule limit of whatever field op plays at was also a goal of mine, hence more metal parts. Given that I've had my plastic parts fail on me, I will stand by my upgrades list as a viable option. Practical? Perhaps not, but viable, sure. I'm not quite sure which parts you think are downgrades compared to the stock tm as far as performance goes, all I can say is that I am pleased with the performance that I have been able to get with the parts that I have in my own gun, and that neither of the guns that I built for my friends have ever come back to me with problems.

I have already agreed that my list is fairly extravagant, but I think we can both agree that we went after different things. You took a much more practical approach to a solution while I opted to be creative with the unlimited budget. I still don't think the "Disregard most of what this guy has said" is warranted.