Split Gearbox AEG's

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by mrbrightside121, Aug 11, 2015.

1. mrbrightside121

mrbrightside121 New Member

Hey guys,

I've been contemplating getting a new split gearbox AEG for a while now. I don't want a PTW or an FCC. I've narrowed it down to the WE Katana series or the ICS Transform4. What are your opinions and experiences with each gun, how do you like them? One over the other, and are split gear box's a good idea?

I personally love the concept of being able to work on my gun so easily, but I want to know your opinions on it.

Thanks guys!
    ~B-Side

2. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    I've been running my Katana for about two years and don't regret switching to a split gearbox one bit. The Katana is V2 compatible throughout the lower gearbox while the upper cylinder is mostly PTW spec.

Do you usually leave your guns relatively stock, or do you plan to upgrade the internals at all?

3. mrbrightside121

Awesome, thanks Tyson. Good to hear some first hand experience!

I leave them relatively stock, what I don't have to change I won't. I usually put a new barrel and hop up for accuracy, but I hear that the WE's come with pre installed 6.00mm barrels. How have you found the accuracy with it?

4. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    Not sure about them being 6.00mm I'd think that would cause jamming issues. I believe my stock barrel is somewhere close to a 6.05 maybe as tight as a 6.03 but I'd have to check. However, unpolished with the stock chamber and Modify arm/gears on a flat hopped G&G green with an R-hop I'm easily hitting man sized targets out to 200+ feet.

The nozzle however is metal and has the tendency to tear the feeding lips on softer buckings. However, myself and my teammates (both of which have also been running Katanas) have found that the Prommy hard (red) buckings work wonderfully with them and show no sign of wearing out.

5. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    I personally went with the ICS split gearbox design over WE's for the simple fact that there is an entire line of guns and they've added more to it, where as the Katana is pretty limited. Additionally, this means spare and replacement parts are far easier to find. In terms of split gearbox builds, you're not limited and if anything builds are far easier because you more easily swap between games and events.
    It was definitely worth the purchase if you ask me: 1 gun that can function as a DMR, field rifle, or CQB rifle in less than 5min a piece.

-mobile device-

6. mrbrightside121

Tyson, that's what I heard in the Airsoftology review, but you'd know better than me. Good to know about the nozzle, that would really suck! Sounds like you're getting some good shots with a few upgrades, good to know. Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the input Buster! It was really bugging me the limited options that WE had to offer, but I liked the designed of the upper cylinder better. Being able to change out from one gun to another has always been a huge ideal for me, and it's great to see some people actually offering it. What sort of results are you getting with yours in terms of accuracy, range, and reliability? Thanks!

7. Jerichow

Jerichow Member

Lakeville
    I'm gonna +1 the ICS design as well. I've had a few ICS rifles over the years and I'll be the first to admit, I would trade the proprietary nozzle/hop up any day for the ease of working on the gearbox. It also does help I'm getting almost perfect compression with a ZCI Blue metal cylinder head too....

But yeah, out of all of the split gearboxes out there, I like ICS the most. It's an older design, yeah, but at least its tried and proven more than any other on the market.

8. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Well I'll be honest. The stock gearbox was pretty good. But me being a tinker-er, I went and purchase 2 additional lowers and 3 additional uppers, and honestly haven't used the stock gearbox in a while. Nothing was wrong with them, I just keep them in case I tinker and TOTALLY screw up and need a gun in the near future.
    Range, accuracy, and reliability with the stock internals was about average. Nothing crazy, nothing crappy. Keep in mind I went with the split gearbox for adaptability under one single base gun. Here's a good thread that shows that off: http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f88/project-m4-60564/

If you ask me ICS Split Gearbox guns are THE airsoft tuners. Some buy them and use them totally stock, but they were meant to be modular. Plus the spring reset is also a very nice addition.

In regards to the proprietary hop-up, there's an easy mod Sparky pointed out to make the V2 hop-up work in the ICS body. Though I can't remember if the air nozzle is proprietary.

-mobile device-

9. TheInfidel23

TheInfidel23 Resident Derp Supporting Member

Greenville

Depending on who's talking, the ics hop up is a better system, and least desirable to replace anyway.

10. mrbrightside121

Jerichow, thanks for the input! Good to hear. I'm sort of leaning towards ICS at this point.

Buster, I'm a tinker-er as well and I love it when I can just crack open a gun and be tuning it, no bs process. Sounds like it's somewhat like any other AEG in terms of stock performance, and like most AEG's it could use a few upgrades. I've had a lot of bad experiences with Airsoft guns so I'm researching to find one that just won't fail me like the others. Thanks for your help!

11. Scallene

Scallene Member

Olympia
    This post is a bit old but it seemed like a good place. Can you mod an ics split gearbox to fit in a standard G&P receiver? I know you can mod a katana system into a standard m4 but the ics split seems like a better choice to me.