*spring airsoft mortar idea*

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Weaponry' started by GoldHawk_Airsoft, Nov 3, 2012.

1. GoldHawk_Airsoft

GoldHawk_Airsoft New Member

I have an ingenius idea for a spring airsoft mortar. I just have one MAJOR question that I would EXTREMELY appreciate being answered.

Where is it possible to get a spring approximately 2 feet long with good strength and a diameter of approximately 1in to 1.5in? Nothing has to be exact, I'm just asking for an approximate estimate.

It will launch easter eggs filled with airsoft BBs. No pyrotechnics will be used. (Mods, bear this in mind) ;) The force used to break the egg will be gravity, air friction, and momentum.

Here is a photo of my sketch design. It should be basic to understand. Just bear in mind that this is a basic sketch, not much in detail.

image-1088848470.jpg

2. BRTSoloWing

BRTSoloWing Active Member

China Grove
    Two stacked springs out of a old bed mattress might work?

3. Hartman96

Hartman96 New Member

Woodville
    I have considered the idea, and even designed and built a spring powered bazooka...... -.- It did not work. You will need some very very very hefty springs or spring to fire something such as that. Think about it. How much force does it take for a small spring pistol to fire a .12 gram projectile 20 ft. a whole freaking lot. (food for thought)

4. GoldHawk_Airsoft

Ok thanks! I also just thought that if i buy a bunch of springs at lowes (because sadly i dont think i have any old mattresses) and stack them on top of eachother, as long as they fit the diamether of the pvc (the cylinder part of the Mortar),then they should work too. I don't want it to be too strong, but I want it to be strong enough, which all comes down to the spring(s).

5. GoldHawk_Airsoft

True. But the projectile, (an easter egg half full of BBs) compressing almost halfway down the length of the pvc launching a medium weight projectile for its powerful elastic force might do. Also, the mortar will most likely be about 4 ft long which the mortar will be leveled on a diagonal slant. I thought about what you said when I started thinking this out too, but after doing most of the math, I think it should work. (Not definite though)

6. Hartman96

Hartman96 New Member

Woodville
    I used airtight projectiles and just free standing bbs. The airtight didn't even leave the barrel the bb's fell like 5 feet from the barrel. (It took a two man team to pull this thing back.

7. Da-ninjabreadman

Da-ninjabreadman Member

Hutchinson
    it might. this idea isn't new, infact its usually the first idea that comes to mind when thinking of airsoft mortars :p but i haven't seen to many people follow though, mostly because of the spring system. try wielding some mattress springs together to get the right length, also it should take around your full body weight to compress the spring as a rough estimate for enough power. or you could take the easy but expensive route of C02.

8. GoldHawk_Airsoft

Maybe some of it was friction against the barrel of the launcher from the projectile. Ill bet if there was something inside the mortar on the front end attatched to the spring so that as the projectile is launched up, it isnt gaining friction against the barrel, instead, leaning against the small piece of pvc that guides it out so no friction is gained. Also, lubricants might cut away some friction too. This thing will most likely take a lot of one's energy to pull the spring down, maybe two people's energy. I am continuously thinking of extra ways to gain better performance for my idea.

9. Hartman96

Hartman96 New Member

Woodville
    Are you going to try and launch it with just spring, not building a compression chamber to use air to push it out? Just having the spring push it out will not work. You will have to use air to push out your projectile witch will require an air tightness of some degree.

10. BRTSoloWing

China Grove
    Why not build it with the same idea of a bolt action sniper rifle? Pull back a sealed piston in a brass chamber, and let air push the egg out of a brass barrel?

Edit: sniped

11. GoldHawk_Airsoft

Ok. I don't think that Im going to use CO2 for the reason you said: it was expensive. If I can find matress springs, I will surely use them. Would a bunch of maybe 4 inch springs work? (Im saying crapload of them.) Im only 13 though, so I think for what sounds like the power needed, it will most likely take two or three of my friends to make it work. Do you have any helpful tips to make this thing work better?

12. glenlovesm4

glenlovesm4 New Member

Knoxville
    Like a really big vsr10!!!!

13. BRTSoloWing

China Grove
    Yep, just like a really big vsr 10 lol

14. GoldHawk_Airsoft

A good possible idea. I think that might be a little complex though. Although I understund what youre saying.

15. GoldHawk_Airsoft

Do you have any good ideas to improve the performance for the idea I have now?

16. Hartman96

Hartman96 New Member

Woodville
    You have to do this. The other will not work. I've tried it, and mechanically it won't work, that's one reason airsoft rifles aren't made like that.

17. GoldHawk_Airsoft

Ok. So how expensive do you think it will cost?

18. BRTSoloWing

China Grove
    Nope not at all, it would be just like building a modal rocket( just without the rocket lol). And Lows will have everything you'll need. You'll need a peace of pvc for the outer casing. A brass tube to fit in that....let me sleep on this and ill draw something up tomarow. It's all easy to me, but it will be better to put it on paper. And I'm trying to think about how to do the piston head..... Soup Can!!! This is going to be fun lol.

19. Courage

Courage New Member

Lexington
    Pretty sure user "CDI" of CDI industries here on the forums sells affordable c02 and compressed air launchers and mortars, if you ever get tired of trying.

20. Hartman96

Hartman96 New Member

Woodville
    A soup can and a lot of lube.....