SR-25 or M14?

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by xXTacoMcFacoXx, Jul 23, 2012.

1. xXTacoMcFacoXx

xXTacoMcFacoXx New Member

Having trouble deciding if i should convert my g&g m4 cqb into *somewhat* of an sr25 and purchasing a different cqb weapon or buying an Echo1 m14 and leaving my m4 as it is. I would like to eventually end up with a tuned DMR. Any thoughts?

2. CajunAirsoft

CajunAirsoft New Member

Uhh ^^?? OP: The sr-25 has a elongated v2 gearbox which might make upgrading a little of a hassle to find parts. The m14 has a very confusing gearbox in the v7 but they are easier to find parts. You can get a very nice CYMA m14 for around 130$. A decent sr25 will run you around 220$+. I say go for the m14.

3. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    He already has an M4 that he will "convert" into an SR25, whatever that means. Although it does mean that he will most likely have a V2, so upgrade ability is very high. I say go the SR 25ish route unless you like M14s, because the take down is weird and difficult...

4. CajunAirsoft

CajunAirsoft New Member

Sorry didnt read the whole OP. So you're looking to make your m4 into a dmr. With some external work a m4 can look the dmr type. For internals tightbore,new bucking,and r hop.

5. qurfy

qurfy New Member

Burlington
    Upgrading a v7/m14 is a bit hard if your new to them, or at least I found it that way when I started out with my m14. I vote work on your m4.

6. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    For the sake of my head no exploding, you're not converting an M4 into an SR-25. The SR-25 uses an elongated receiver (both upper and lower) to accept a larger, 7.62 carrying magazine. To convert your airsoft gun, you'd need a new upper and lower, as well as a new gearbox and some new internals to match, along with the proper front end. What you're converting to would be an SR-15, the 5.56 version of the SR-25. For this conversion, you just need the proper barrel, rail, and accouterments. Internals can stay the same, and unless you're worried about getting accurate trademarks, you can keep your current receiver.

7. Whiplashairsoft1

Whiplashairsoft1 New Member

42 Wallaby Way
    I say throw out the idea of the SR25, because of the extended gearbox, you’ll need a different body, rail system, etc……Either just turn your M4 into a DMR, or upgrade a CYMA M14…..To tell the truth, I’d upgrade the M4, I think.

8. CajunAirsoft

CajunAirsoft New Member

I believe that is what he meant, let's just turn this into a m4 dmr thread. He isn't near ready for that CQB build he spoke of.

9. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    Guys, it depends on which SR25 you are talking about. Not all of them have V2.5 elongated gearboxes.
    The G&G, Ares, and some G&Ps use a V2.
    Classic Army, A&K, and some G&Ps use the V2.5
    JG and Echo 1 use a different kind of shell with the same dimensions as the V2.5, but a normal cylinder and mostly V2 parts.

Either way, new externals would be needed.

10. xXTacoMcFacoXx

xXTacoMcFacoXx New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Sorry for the confusion over the sr-25 and m4. I was implying converting my m4 into a dmr i was just using an sr-25 as an example. I've decided to go the m14 route. Anybody have opinions between the Echo 1 M14, the much more expensive (+$180) G&P M14 DMR or the G&G m14 at a similar price of the G&P? Only three M14 brands that are available to me in Canada that I've come accross.

11. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    I have the G&G, and it's pretty good. I'm going to convert it into a DMR myself. Just don't get too trigger happy with it, you'll blow the fuse like my lol.