STEEL DRAGONS AEG REVIEW: Lonex M4

Discussion in 'Airsoft Images & Video' started by SilentVectorX, Dec 17, 2012.

1. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    Finally, a closer look at the Clandestine Airsoft custom batch, Lonex 14.5" M-4 RIS

[ame]http://youtu.be/JC8JT7B78F8[/ame]

***Things I missed in the video:***
    - AEG comes with a standard LE collapsible stock, *not* the Crane stock I was using.
    - AEG also comes with a very nice instruction manual and cleaning/unjamming rod.
    - Metal parts are a very dark matte black. About the same as real-steel black anodizing.
    - Receiver pins are captured.
    - Zero receiver play, RIS wobble, or barrel wobble. The rattling you hear is just the stock and battery.
    - Magwell is a bit wide, allowing some side-to-side wobble, but fits a wider variety of mags.
    - Motor grip is vented for enhanced heat dissipation.
    - 3x rail covers are included.

***Notes:***

- 360-365 FPS with EliteForce 0.25g Bio and hopup set to flat trajectory. Shot over Xcortech X3200 with fresh batteries.

- 20.1 RPS with 7.4v 2200mah 25C nanotech, charged to 8.28v
    - 32.6 RPS with 11.1v 1000mah 40C SKY, charged to 12.28v
    - 34+ RPS with 11.1v 40c 3000mah SKY lipo, somewhat drained, mini-Tamiya connector.

- AoE is correctly set from the factory
    - Piston weight is a VERY heavy 25.98 grams, DO NOT PUSH THIS AEG PAST 30 RPS.

- Feeds well from included Flash Mag; basically 100% feeding until the last couple dozen rounds, where there is some skipping.
    - Accuracy/range as yet untested.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    Haven't pulled her open yet? Just going to wait until something breaks, or you have a few more rounds through it?

3. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    I'm going to wait until something breaks... or until my BTC Chimera arrives :D

I'm running 11.1v 120amp continuous drain, so if that can't kill it, I'd say it's truly "LiPo ready". Yes, I know everyone hates the term, but I consider 11.1v 40c 3000mah pretty reasonable.

Failures I'm watching out for:
    - Melted mini Tamiyas
    - Fried trigger contacts
    - Spur gear
    - Long term pinion gear and motor brush life

4. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    So far this gun looks very promising. I think I may get my hands on one just for a DSG and leave the externals completely stock (except for a crane stock. I need some type of cool stock. LOL). Oh, this post also subscribes so I can watch this review when I get out of this God forsaken place they call a school. Lol.

5. MrGoodkat

MrGoodkat New Member

Good review, I think I'm definitely gonna get one of these now.

6. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

I knew you looked familiar, you're the guy that worked on my G&P at RDG. Anyway, good review. I'll be ordering my brothers tonight.

7. ComputerMan

ComputerMan New Member

Did it come with a battery bag?

8. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    It did *not* come with a battery bag. It is possible that the next batch may include a variant with a Crane stock. Personally, I just use a spare magazine pouch, or an AK-type stick Lipo in the buffer tube with the stock extended out 2 clicks.

9. ComputerMan

ComputerMan New Member

I may buy a new stock then for mine then. Is the buffer tube tight or loose compared to other buffer tubes?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  10. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    The buffer tube seems to be standard MILSPEC externally, internally it fits an AK stick LiPo with plenty of extra room, but not quite enough for a Deans plug to squeeze in alongside.

Buffer tube space is a good point though, I will try to mention that in the next revision of the review. I will also try to be more specific about what comes in the box.

11. MrGoodkat

MrGoodkat New Member

The crane stock you had on there might confuse some people, if I knew nothing about the gun I would've thought it came with a crane stock and not a LE one.

12. ComputerMan

ComputerMan New Member

When I get mine, can I post a picture of what I will do to it? Or should I post that on a different thread

13. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    I would like this thread to stay on the topic of the review itself, or questions about the Lonex M4.

14. ComputerMan

ComputerMan New Member

Ok, question: when is the ris version coming back in stock?

Are there versions without that speedy motor?

15. MrGoodkat

MrGoodkat New Member

Check the estimates of when products will be back in stock on clandestine, IIRC it's in the top right corner of the site.

16. ComputerMan

ComputerMan New Member

It says now..........

17. MrGoodkat

MrGoodkat New Member

Ehh, be patient. He probably hasn't updated it yet or maybe they are on their way as we speak. I really can't say because I'm not Ben.

18. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    I let Ben at Clandestine know that the RIS version is getting the most attention, since it's past crunch time for Christmas shipping I'd expect to see them back in stock around New Years at the earliest, but that is just my estimation.

Why would you want a version without the neo magnet motor? If you want sensible speed, just use a 7.4v. You'll get around 24 RPS and the AEG should run reliably for years.

19. ComputerMan

ComputerMan New Member

Just if it don't get back in stock in month

20. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    They still have the non-RIS with 10.5" or 14.5" barrel + LE stock. You could fit a 7.4v Lipo in the foregrip and still hit well over 20 RPS, and a smaller 11.1v in the foregrip should hit over 30 RPS.