Stripped Buffer Tube Screw

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Pharaoh, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Pharaoh

Pharaoh Active Member Supporting Member

HELP....I was trying to fix buffer tube wobble on my G&G full metal combat raider. Went to tighten the buffer tube screw and it stripped out. Any ideas? There is still about 1/2" of depth in the screw hole that wasn't taken up by the screw and shouldn't be stripped. Maybe I can track down a slightly longer screw at the hardware store. Whats the real fix though? Tap out a larger hole? New gearbox?

2. Zaryk

Zaryk Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Southern
    There is usually a nut inside the spring guide that the screw threads into, you can replace that nut. If the spring guide is metal and threaded, and there is no nut, you will need to replace the entire spring guide.

3. Wh33ler

Wh33ler Active Member

Denton
    I would think you could probably just tap the hole and that should fix it. if there is indeed a nut on the other side of it, then yeah, replace that nut. If you want extra security, maybe both. I'm certainly no tech and don't know much at all, but that seems to me like the most efficient answer aside from replacing the damaged part. Just my thoughts.

4. Pharaoh

Looking from the outside in with a flashlight the hole looks threaded all the way down, so I don't think there is a nut. Looks like I'm replacing the spring guide. I've never opened a gear box as I'm new. I am mechanically inclined so I'm not too worried as long as I take my time; there's plenty of YouTube videos. I want to learn how to do all this anyway as I love to upgrade stuff. Any recommendations on a spring guide? I'm not worried about price, I just want super tough. I have read that ones with bearings are supposed to help with possible spring binding. I'm looking on Evike and there's all sorts of them to choose from, some with little tabs on either side of the rear. Should I be good as long as it says for version 2 gear box?

5. Zaryk

Zaryk Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Southern
    Any v2 will fit.

Dont buy from evike. Try Clandestineairsoft.com or Brillarmory.com as both of them have higher quality parts for much better prices. Evike inflates their prices and some of their parts they carry are pretty low quality.

A spring guide with a bearing is recommended, it does help reduce binding.

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  6. Pharaoh

Ok, thank you. After some research I'm thinking Lonex may be my best bet.
    What do you think of this one: Lonex Enhanced V2 Spring Guide
    http://www.brillarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43&products_id=452

I think stainless is probably my best bet so I don't strip it out again. My stock one stripped so easily, looks like brass threads in there possibly. I really want that buffer tube nice and solid. Not sure how solid i'm gonna get it though. Seems like kind of a crappy design. No real way to torque the tube down seeing as how the retaining ring on the thing is fake.

7. Hangtight

Hangtight Well-Known Member

If you are replacing a plain spring guide with a bearing guide, be aware that the extra space required for the bearing will compress the spring and preload it a little further. This will increase the fps slightly.
    If there is already a bearing in the piston there's no need for one on the guide.
    If you over tighten the buffer tube screw you can tip the nose of the gearbox upwards which can cause feeding and air seal issues. You should be able to get the buffer tube nice and solid without having to torque the screw down too hard. You'll sometimes find that the ones without a separate 'locking' ring hit the fillet around the base of the receiver lug, or that it's missing a sling mount plate and the screw has bottomed out on the end of the receiver lug before it's actually clamped the buffer tube.

8. Pharaoh

It has the sling mount and it's not bottoming out. It seems the fit of the buffer tube on the receiver lug is a little sloppy, also the receiver lug threads into the receiver. So that allows left to right movement. I cant tighten it any more with out putting pressure on the gearbox. Maybe some red thread lock on the receiver lug?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  9. Wh33ler

Wh33ler Active Member

Denton
    Don't know that I'd use red, but blue Loc-Tite isn't a bad idea.