Stuck at Home with No Where 2 Go? Top 7 DIY Airsoft Mods You Can Do at Home

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Sketch E Assassin, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Sketch E Assassin

Sketch E Assassin New Member

[​IMG]

Stuck at home with some time on your hands? Want to upgrade your airsoft gun but can’t afford much more than pocket change to spare? In that case, you’re lucky you’re reading this article, because there are a number of easy mods for AEGs that don’t take much more than a few hours to accomplish but will make a big difference in how your airsoft gun handles. What’s more, doing these modifications is a big help in learning more about how airsoft rifles function and how they can be improved! Start off by learning about some of the best DIY airsoft mods, and if you’ve got the skills to take advantage of a high-performing rifle, you’ll be well ahead of the average weekend airsofter! So here are the Top DIY Airsoft Mods you can do at home.

Wrap your Inner Barrel
    If you’ve worked with an airsoft rifle’s internals before, you’ll know that the inner barrel is where the magic really happens: where the pneumatic power from the gearbox’s cylinder is paired with backspin from the hop-up. To encourage higher accuracy, it’s important to ensure the inner barrel isn’t rattling around inside the cosmetic outer barrel, and one way to do that is to wrap it in plumber’s tape, also known as PTFE tape, Teflon tape, or thread seal tape. This not only keeps the flexible inner barrel snug inside the much stronger outer barrel, it also works to dampen some of the harmonic vibrations of the inner barrel, improving shot-to-shot consistency.

[​IMG]

What You’ll Need:

• A pair of scissors
    • Plumber’s tape, aka, PTFE, Teflon, or “thread seal” tape
    • Your inner barrel or inner barrel assembly, removed from the gun
    How to do The Mod:
    This is probably the simplest mod in airsoft; it’s easy to find the materials and it’s easy to accomplish without worrying if it might damage your gun. Begin by taking the inner barrel, and wrapping a line of the tape around the barrel’s circumference twice. Since Teflon tape clings to itself, it should stick on pretty well. Make sure you’re holding the barrel taut against the tape so it clings to the barrel, too.

Slowly begin to wind the tape down the barrel in a spiral pattern, continuing to hold it taut so it clings pretty firmly to the barrel. Once you get the spiral near to the hop up unit or where the hop up unit would be installed, do another wrap twice around the circumference. Snip the end and finish wrapping the cut end tightly around the barrel so it won’t come loose. If you took the hop unit off, reinstall it now, and test fit the whole thing where it belongs to the inner barrel. It should slide in with minor resistance. If it slides in loosely, do another wrap the same way, but on the opposite side of the barrel from the first spiral. If it is too tight, try to remove some of the Teflon tape at the top and bottom, leaving one full revolution of tape to keep the whole thing in place.

DIY Airsoft Mod 1 - Seal your Packing (Bucking)

The Packing (Official name in the industry), or the rubber sleeve inside your hop up that most call a packing, is used to grip the BB and provide backspin, is dollar for dollar the most critical component of any airsoft gun. Sealing the forward-facing end of your packing tight to prevent air loss is a contentious mod among airsofters. Some say it reduces shot-to-shot FPS deviation by several feet per second, others say it’s unnecessary with a decent hop-up packing. I always do it, simply because I see no reason not to. It’s inexpensive and doesn’t require any special sort of skill.

[​IMG]

What You’ll Need:

• Either plumber’s tape OR dental floss
    • Your inner barrel with hop up unit removed but hop up packing still attached
    How To Do The Mod:
    As I mentioned above, you can use either PTFE/Plumber’s/Teflon tape or dental floss. I usually use the tape, simply because I’ve already gotten it out of the barrel wrap mod, but both should suffice. If you’re using the plumber’s tape, this mod is easy as pie. Take the tape and, where the packing finishes covering the barrel (on the end of the packing closer to the muzzle), wrap a layer of tape around the barrel and packings’ circumferences so it covers the gap between barrel and packing. Do about three layers and make sure it’s tight so it conforms well to that barrel-packing gap and prevents any air loss.

If you’re doing it with the floss, that’s fine! You’ll need to have nimble fingers, though. Begin by wrapping the floss around the packing, about a quarter inch (5mm) from the end of the packing that will face forward in the gun. Pull the floss tight, and tie a simple square knot in the floss to cinch it to the packing. I’ve included a link to a short article on tying square knots; use the first method here because of the small size of the work-piece.

Congratulations! Now just slide the barrel and packing back into the hop up unit and reinstall the C-clip that holds the barrel and keeps it from rotating in the hop up unit. The fit into the hop-up may be a little tight, and if it is, try rotating the whole assembly back and forth to help it slide into place.

To read all 7 Airsoft mods you can do at home, check out the full article here.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    There are many errors in this article...

Hop-Up does Not stabilize bbs
    Barrels are Not fragile.
    Cylinder Matching? Ummmm...already done at the factory and some AEG's are mismatched intentionally.

And my personal pet peeve. There is no such thing as a Bucking. It's a packing...

You don't call a magazine a clip right? Then one should not call a packing a "bucking"...

Yes, it s nice to tweek an AEG to it's performance limit. But, the gain is not always realized in most new player hands on the first 10 iterations. Plus a 7fps bump for a 400fps max AEG is hardly measurable. And there is an adage...if it isn't broken...don't fix it.

Now if your AEG has some definite deficiencies...sure...do these simple mods first.

Thing is...AEG's are NOT like video game guns with a set upgrade path that gives it a performance improvement. This is real life and you mess with one part you can cause a MAJOR downgrade in performance. Or in some cases, break a mechbox completely. It's going to be fun for the "kid" that radius' a G&G Pneumo mechbox and then the front shatters and falls off because you recommend a mod that is not applicable to all mechboxes...

3. Sketch E Assassin

I'll have to argue with you on the bucking. [​IMG]

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-verizon&sxsrf=ALeKk03oPQ2X4OMXzkHHMqC40Y5rFBGaQA:1584543978582&ei=6jhyXoWMI8HE1QHltZCICw&q=what+does+a+hop+up+do&oq=what+does+a+hop+up+do&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.3..0l2j0i30l2.820.1672..2159...0.1..0.155.722.1j5......0....1.........0i71j0i8i7i30j0i13j0i7i30.EI_6WFC5_KM#imgrc=4a77quGsrRBXuM:

Google has it labeled that way as well as many other sources. That's like one person calling soda, "pop" and vice versa. Sucker vs Lollipop, Tennis shoes vs sneakers in my opinion. To each their own. Inner barrels ARE somewhat fragile. I dropped mine by accident one time and it put a tiny indent in it which I had to ultimately replace. I didn't write the original article, it was composed by Noah Mains; however I do have to agree that hop ups ONLY provide increased range via MAGNUS Effect. I will def update that part Guges.

4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    So...everything on the internet is the Gospel?

Being as someone that has "lived" through the evolution of Airsoft in the USA since the 20th Century. I know when the error occurred and by whom. Then they fixed it, but US Distribution was too stupid to fix it and it got populated as the gospel.

The error originally started by SystemA due to a translation issue. It was corrected. And all the originators of Airsoft goods (Japanese companies, who are sticklers for detail) all call it a packing.

Prometheus

[​IMG]

Nine-Ball

[​IMG]

SystemA (the culprit patient Zero)

[​IMG]

Laylax/PDI

[​IMG]

But, it's interesting to note some American retailers (whom I have had discussions with) are calling what it what it is and what it isn't.

https://www.airsoftatlanta.com/products/laylax-vsr-10-hop-up-bucking-packing

aotsukisho likes this.
  5. Sketch E Assassin

That's a very interesting fact and not something that's found readily on Google. I learn something new everyday. I wish they would fix that since everywhere around me they use the term Bucking. That's how I came to learn about the part and what I've always searched for.

6. interceptor

interceptor Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Los Angeles
    Not about this article but was looking at your site again and you asked for feedback.

In the "HANDS DOWN The Best Airsoft Guns for 2020", can you please remove the entry for the Elite Force Tac 1911 Tac Blowback? I didn't agree with all your recommendations but this one is a problematic gun that has been critiqued on this forum multiple times. The pros you list "Fits in hand, blowback, metal, adjustable hopup" apply to the majority of GBB guns on the market. You also didn't mention on cons: "Poor quality control, CO2 leads to early breakage, proprietary parts prevents upgrade/repair".

Your last sentence that this is the "Perfect" gun for beginners probably does beginners (who know less than folks on this forum) a disservice. I know that you are trying to run a business and the EF Tac 1911 is a moneymaker but can you recommend something else, e.g., KJW guns?

Thanks for listening.

cam_hoffairsoft likes this.
  7. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Another one is the "Molex" Connector. US Distribution has perverted this too.

The small Molex Type Connector is called Tamiya.
    The Large Molex Type Connector is called Kyosho

IMG_20200318_122559.jpg

Each one is unique (again to the Japanese) RC house of:

Tamiya

https://www.tamiyausa.com/

and Kyosho

https://rc.kyosho.com/en/

There is No Such Thing as a Mini-Tamiya connector. The large connector is a Kyosho.

Each company patented their design and they are NOT interchangeable. The concept of a Kyosho connector being shown as a "Tamiya" is another instance of one mis-statement put on the internet and the "inexperienced" made it into the defacto fact.

I even said this to a guy in China who makes battery packs (for me). He told me he has been in the industry for 12 years and he knows what they are. I told him I raced Kyosho RC boats in the 1980s and you couldn't use a Tamiya 650mah NICD pack on a Kyosho boat, I also asked if he was even born yet...that debate ended quickly...

To quote Ronnie Chiang, "...so much knowledge in one place has made people sooooo stupid...that is the internet..."

aotsukisho likes this.
  8. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

Can confirm as I was heavily into RCs since 2005 and the industry does refer to the 1:10 Kyosho battery connector as "Tamiya" and the 1:16/1:18 Tamiya connector as "mini Tamiya".

Similar to how everyone calls our favorite red T-plugs "Deans" when they are actually Deans Ultra connectors made by W.S. Deans. WSD also makes Deans Micro connectors (polarized 2-pole, polarized 4 pole) and used to make other types of specialty connectors. Knockoff Deans Ultra plugs are fine for AEGs but in RC you will invite a whole bunch of problems that may lead to reduced radio range, ESC (electronic speed controller) failure, or potential fire.

Chow likes this.
  9. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    The mis-classification began around 2000 for the Kyosho and Tamiya Connectors.

Because in the late 1980s...people knew the difference between a Tamiya and a Kyosho.

Chow and yrutimid like this.
  10. yrutimid

yrutimid Active Member

Phoenix
    well, thats the first time ive heard that on this forum.

11. Sketch E Assassin

Made those changes happen brother!

Spacemonkey likes this.
  12. interceptor

interceptor Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Los Angeles
    Much appreciated - the more credibility your site has, the more it can be distinguished from every other site hawking airsoft wares.

13. Sketch E Assassin

Agreed hence why I'm taking every bit of advice to make this a better experience for everyone. Especially now that the sites just about done and I have some free time.

Spacemonkey likes this.
  14. ERICTHEROJO

ERICTHEROJO Active Member

chicago
    I commend you on addressing the 600 lb gorilla in the room, albeit not by name, but making effort to offer positive energy to an issue EVERYONE is dealing with. A high five is in order, social distancing be dammed.

And, I am also for correct nomenclature. I prefer we call a spade a spade. I may still go with "bucking", though. "Packing" sounds invasive

15. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

Probably doesn't help that the Tamiya TT-01 is the Combat Machine of 1:10 onroad lol. It even has its own Wikipedia page

Agreed wholeheartedly

If you feel uncomfortable just call it 'hop rubber' or something like that, an epithet is better than using and propagating wrong terminology

16. ERICTHEROJO

ERICTHEROJO Active Member

chicago
  17. cam_hoffairsoft

cam_hoffairsoft Member

I agree, mine broke and was unfixable, very disappointing