Support gunner

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Ian5538, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Ian5538

Ian5538 New Member

I'm looking for a good support gun (m249 m60 etc). I will be upgrading but what will perform the best out of the box? And what's the best functionality wise?

2. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    The A&K and ARES both used microswitches, which are prone to melting when you use a higher voltage battery to make the rate of fire decent. Both brands M249's or M60's require tuning and possibly upgrading in order to perform on par with a G&P assault rifle.

The ARES M60's weigh less, and have a more reliable gearbox. They work great out of the box.

The A&K M249 and M60's are very heavy, almost the same as the real versions. They also use bearings, which are unreliable - the last thing I want in an LMG gearbox.

3. Ian5538

Ian5538 New Member

What would you say for budget of 400?

4. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    For $400, including upgrades... You'll be stuck with the A&K. The ARES are usually over $400 shipped from the retailer alone. I recommend saving up a bit more for the ARES.

5. Ian5538

Ian5538 New Member

Once I get an ARES what upgrades do you suggest this is my first support gun

6. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    Swap in some better bushings, like 8mm Modify. The ARES comes with a set of bearings on the pinion that I would rather not have to worry about. Lonex A2 'short' motor, MOSFET, lightened Lonex Red piston from Hivemind. Reshim bevel gear to new motor, reshim spur and sector to the bevel for best meshing. Rubber washer for AoE (sorbo will not be necessary since the gearboxes are bricks). Lonex Hard bucking for the barrel to prevent jams.

That should take care of most of it. The motor ($48), MOSFET ($30 or less), and piston ($26) are the most expensive parts.

7. codyparry

codyparry New Member

a&k m249 it is a really good choice out of the box

8. Phailed

Phailed New Member

Bodø
    I vote A&K m249. Every support gun AEG that is being used, wil break sooner or later anyway, and higher price doesnt mean it wil last much longer.

9. Ian5538

Ian5538 New Member

It shows there are different models with full stock and retractable. Also there appears to be a version 2 of those models

10. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    The A&K or Echo1 M249's... There's no difference between them internally. Compared to most AEGs of similar price, the machineguns underperform a bit, but upgrading and maintenance is just a standard part of owning an LMG.

I'd recommend getting the M249 MK.II over the Para. The MK.II has a much larger battery compartment in the stock. Another option is running the battery wires out the left side of the gun, and keeping the battery inside the boxmag itself (it has a space for a large battery).

11. Joshpeck

Joshpeck New Member

Eau Claire
    I personally love the looks if the m249 para, if I got a machine gun I would get one.

12. bal1

bal1 New Member

Even though it weighs a solid five pounds hevier then the full stock?

13. Ian5538

Ian5538 New Member

So some of the same upgrades for that as well?

14. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    Yep, they're the same. Echo 1 might've made a few upgrades (they tend to QC and add a Madbull Blue to their M4 AEGs, not sure on LMGs), but they're either minor or non-existent. You're basically paying for a warranty from what I can tell. Go for the A&K, you'd be voiding the warranty anyways by opening it up. I would also suggest going on eBay, Craigslist, or some other forum to find a used one, I've seen a bunch on sale, mainly by kids who realized that the support gunner role isn't for them. As for upgrades, I say keep Vector's list, except maybe switch out the Lonex A2 for a Lonex A1 (it's faster, uses a little more power, however if you're sticking with a spring under an M130, there should be little to no difference except in ROF, which the A1 is better at).

15. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    Not to discredit anyone, but I also like the A2 because it tends to run even cooler than the A1 does. Since the OP is likely to be firing for extended periods (likely with an M130 or M140 eventually depending on his field/game rules), I recommend the A2.

16. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    Wouldn't that put him at around 450FPS with .20s? I've never heard of a field that allows that for full auto rifles, maybe 400FPS with .25s, but I think an M140 would still put it over. I do agree though that the A2 might be better for a support weapon though, now that I think about it.

17. Ian5538

Ian5538 New Member

I'm aiming for ~420 fps with .2s

18. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    Exactly. I go to AMS (American Milsim) OPs and FAA (Fast Action Airsoft) games, and they both allow 450 for LMG's. Like I said though, that depends on OP's fields and rulesets.