Suppressors?

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by Valkyrie, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Valkyrie

Valkyrie New Member

Okay, so I'm ordering a weapon that comes with a suppressor that has foam inserts(TM MK23 SOCOM). But I just heard the other day that foam lined suppressors for airguns were deemed illegal. Is this true?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  2. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
    I don't think there illegal,A lot of people use them.But i don't know for sure.

3. LegacyAirsoft

LegacyAirsoft You can say I tech a little...

Massachusetts
    Check your local laws but I seriously doubt it

4. evan2634

evan2634 New Member

I'm pretty sure you have to have a license for a suppressor in the US... That's what I saw around the forums.

5. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    Someone around here stated that if a suppressor quiets more than 1 decibel you need a license let me see if I can find it.....

6. Valkyrie

Valkyrie New Member

Tactical link incoming, it's all over!

7. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    Quote actually, I don't personally know and I just needed the one thread lol.

And a response.

Hmm but looking back at this, I'm not sure this applies to airsoft guns.
    Hmm, check this out http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Working-Airsoft-Silencers-t74603.html

8. backyardsn1per

backyardsn1per New Member

Fennimore
    BATFE says that if it decreases the sound of any firearm you must pay the $200 tax stamp. Not sure if it applies to airsoft though.

9. evan2634

evan2634 New Member

So sigging that when I find out how to....

10. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

You copy the quote into your sig.

11. Valkyrie

Valkyrie New Member

All you have to do edit your sig, quote me in another page and copy and paste the quote into your sig.

Hopefully not. I'll have to record the sound when I get it and see if it is under a decibel. Also, I don't think anyone near me or at the field will really care.

12. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    If the mock suppressor decreases the sound coming from the muzzle of your gun by even a few decibels, it is deemed a supressor by the ATF and is illegal. A violation can land you in federal prison. By the way, there is no probation at the federal level of criminal prosecution. The time to which you are sentenced by the federal judge is the time that you will serve.

I have yet to see a mock suppressor with foam inserts not decrease the sound levels from an airsoft gun. That is normally not the case with a pure metal (hollow) mock suppressor. They are normally for looks only.

Basically, it doesn't matter what is inside the mock suppressor. For the Feds, they are only looking to see if the mock suppressor actually quiets the noise coming from the muzzle of your gun. If it does, then it illegal. If it does not, it is not illegal -- at least under Federal laws and regulations. Converting a hollow mock suppressor to a real one that reduces decibels is just not worth a federal criminal conviction.

I can't comment on other state's laws but in Georgia, all suppressors are essentially banned unless they are used by the military or law enforcement officers.

13. jimfc3

jimfc3 New Member

evergreen park
    A MOCK suppressor is a FAKE suppressor especially if it has foam in it and unless you have a FFL (federal firearms license) you will never be able to even handle one let alone purchace one. LMAO A real suppressor has baffles in it incase you all are wondering...

14. evan2634

evan2634 New Member

Yep, I guess you can't do that on the app. I'll do it when I get on the computer.

15. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

Anything that suppresses sound on a projectile shooting mechanism is illegal. Unless you have a license or something.

16. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County
    Wrong.
    Please do not speak of things you know nothing about.

Private ownership of real suppressors is legal in most states provided you follow the proper and legal steps to attain one, including the NFA $200 tax stamp per device.

The BATFE made a ruling years ago on Paintball Suppressors (and has since ratified its decision to include airsoft).

What this means is any foamed airsoft suppressor could be legally considered an NFA device, however I have never heard of anyone being charged, questioned, detained, prosecuted, or otherwise obstructed for using one on an airsoft replica.

17. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

Absolutely right. Sparky wins again.

18. Tornado-Airsoft

Tornado-Airsoft New Member

Yea in some earlier posts some one said that you needed one if it was a firearm but. Airsoft guns are not fire arms due to it is not propelled buy black powder.

19. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    Absolutely correct. It is always an issue of enforcement. I.E. Practical enforcement of the law vs. theoretical enforcement of it. It's not a problem unless a law enforcement officer becomes aware that you have a mock suppressor, determines that it meets the definition of a legitimate suppressor and then decides to charge the owner with possession of an illegal suppressor. However, law enforcement officers have a lot of discretion regarding whether to make an arrest and with what offense to charge a suspect. It only takes one "gung ho" officer to ruin your day. Personally, I would rather not "play chicken" with a possible ATF violation and/or state weapon's charge. I like my bar license and want to keep it. It puts food on the table. :D

20. backyardsn1per

backyardsn1per New Member

Fennimore
    I said that I wasn't sure.