Tappetless cylinder head: New product, old idea.

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Spacemonkey, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Aztech Innovations

Aztech Innovations New Member

Arundel
    We could but every dollar saved would be a sacrifice of the high quality of the box in the first place. We have sold about 500 of the Scythe gearboxes so far. Our initial quantity of the split is only 100 but we believe that will only last 2 weeks. We could go to 6061 alloy but again, we dont really want to compromise on quality.

2. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

Considering how ignorant retro arms was when I blatantly pointed out their off spec problem I highly doubt they will care enough to correct their shells. It wasn't off just a little. It was off a whole pinion tooth width away. I blew a bearing, ruined a motor armature, ruined a few pinions and damaged a 140 dollar gearset. All in under 4k rounds.

Competition of products forces companies to step up their game, that is the only way, you have to dent some of these manufacturers pockets before they care, which seems retro arms does not care yet.

The issue is, there really isn't a ton of good cnced aluminum gearboxes around on the US market, there are some, but they are unheard of and oddballs of old inventory that never sold.

A lot of techs lurk on Instagram, awhile back spread word about the retro arms shells to the majority of them so likely many techs will look elsewhere for shells in the future. Even if I swayed 20 sales that's over 2200 bucks they get to pay for their ignorance to fix an issue. Which is probably nothing as they are buying more cnc machines almost every season it seems.

It's whatever, in airsoft I've found even some of the high dollar stuff can literally still be garbage.

Back on topic to this thread
    200+ is expensive for a gearbox, but if it's made correctly and has the split gearbox feature it can be convenient for tech work.

Thing is, that gearbox is made to fit gelsoft, I'm not sure what receiver it is made to fit, and if that is comparable to airsoft. It looks like a high quality shell tho.

3. Aztech Innovations

Arundel
    It can be also used for airsoft no problem with an airsoft APACHE installed. This one is actually based off an APS style box so will fit ambi controls and allow for their blowback plate to be installed. We have fit it into many brands of receivers however with no real issue.

4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Ooofff...you picked a bad company to model your products on...

With that...how many Taiwan made receivers have you tried your mechbox in?

Not sure if you knew of this issue, but due to the lack of standards in the industry, regional and generational nuances have developed over the last 5 years and certain mechboxes don't play nice with other regions receivers.

Just Ask Squad144 and how his mechbox shell hunt is going...

5. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    Not well... I am thinking the 2gx but that reinforced front section will make it hard to fit into tm receivers. Although I am never one to shy away from a Dremel and if need be, I can make that reinforced section magically disappear! It would be like it was never there!

I honestly don't know why airsoft companies can't just make it easy on us. Take my Classic Army Nemesis X9 for example. The box is proprietary, the receiver is proprietary, etc. On top of that it has the same issues with the bevel gear being placed in the wrong spot. In order to fix that, I would need to get a new box, cut a portion out the back just to make it fit, and say goodbye to my bolt as it is connected to the box like an APS blowback gun. I can't just put a regular bolt and spring in because the upper receiver does not have that part. See what Guges means? It almost makes me go insane every time I go to buy parts. Cause if I don't buy the right ones, they wont fit or I will have to mod them severely.

Although I think I can actually solve the issue with the nemesis and it bolt. I would just have to buy the TM standard parts (charging handle, bolt, spring etc.) and drill a screw into the inside of the top of the upper receiver so that the spring can rest on something... I might try that...

I see I got off topic. Point being, I still have to preform a mod rather than just throw parts in. This mean I have to spend more time messing with it rather than playing at a field.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    OutlawAirsoft likes this.
  6. Aztech Innovations

Arundel
    Here is a video of a custom build using the APACHE and other Aztech parts.

7. Ben3721

Real question is, what brand was all the gelsoft aegs based on... as long as they follow that, that would be closer to their standard than airsofts standard.

8. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Yikes...a F1 Receiver...

9. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    This is true. I had not thought of this.

On the topic of the video showed, that FPS spread looked pretty good. I think Aztech is onto something with their APACHE unit. It still perplexes me on how those gelballs don't explode when air-pressure is put on them.

I got to know, who else had to pause and rewind when he said "shaka claka":D?!

10. Aztech Innovations

Arundel
    We have fitted to Classic Army, CYMA, Wells, APS and ARES so far.

11. Aztech Innovations

Arundel
    Lol. Yes spread on gel blasters is a big thing. It normally is not that good but an unintended consequence of the APACHE was that it reduced the spread. We are having an air flow simulation done to understand how that is playing out to understand that fully. The gels are actually quite hard now making it easier to push them harder. Accuracy is the biggest issue as they are majority water meaning once 'hit' with a jet of air, they vibrate, much like watching a golf ball hit in super slow motion.
    Shacka is our head technician and is well known for super clean builds that just go 'clack'. No gear noises at all. Shacka Clacka was born... lol

Ben3721 and Spacemonkey like this.
  12. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    Oh I get it! At first, I thought it was Australian slang!

Yea that gun looked like it cost a fortune to make. I looked at your guy's parts and, while I am sure they are quality, man do they cost a lot!

13. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    I'm not sure that cost is necessarily the most important factor... most airsofters that know what they are talking about know that quality trumps cost any day of the week and twice on Wednesday. Just look at Gate Titan, a proven, quality product with a hefty price tag, and yet they are very popular.

Ben3721 likes this.
  14. Aztech Innovations

Arundel
    Just remember its in Australian dollars or about 70% of that cost in USD conversion.

15. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    For everyone who had not yet done the conversion, the regular scythe will be about 160-175 usd before shipping and the split scythe will be about 204-218 usd before shipping.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    OutlawAirsoft likes this.
  16. Ben3721

Just remember, the lead cnc gearbox maker in the US is getting a lot of heat right now, it would be a "shame" if a outside company was to introduce a better product right now into the market. ;)

Seriously tho I'm exposing the hell out of retro arms right now on social media for the bushing holes being off so bad: https://imgur.com/a/nUiFWs2
    Then brushing me and others off, yeah that's on them now as a company.
    I hope to push at least the majority of the tech community away from their shells because it's going to cost them money. Nothing could be worse than building a aeg for someone to get it back looking like the photos in that link. And those photos were before total failure of the aeg happened, it still ran but just sounded rough. Some other techs have more photos of similar damage. I'm glad it was only a personal build and not for someone else.

Over the years I have learned a valuable lesson.
    If you don't see certain guns being used around you, then don't buy one for yourself. Same goes for parts. Photos on social media are cool and all, but if you do not see it on the field, then it likely doesn't work.

OutlawAirsoft and Squad144 like this.
  17. Aztech Innovations

Arundel
    Perhaps we can send you one of ours to review...

18. Ben3721

It would be very exciting to test its fitment and tolerances with my part inventory and then put it into a high stress build to test further. :)

On a side note, I don't ever sell anything I build, I maintain it for years and years.

Personal message me on here and I'm sure we can work something out. :D
    And hey if it's good, I'll be sure to push your word of your gearbox shell infront of other well known techs on social media.

I'll message you on Instagram. That will also let you see who I am.

19. Spacemonkey

Spacemonkey New Member

Auckland
    For airsoft, the nozzle is adjustable but there is no mention of the length. Should the Apache on its own fit most V2 gb's once adjusted to the correct length and locktited, or is it necessary to purchase the correct length fixed nozzle as well?
    Edit: I want to fit it to G&P GB and Maxx hopup, which needs a nozzle length of 21 to 21.25mm. I believe you measure your nozzles from the front of the cylinder? I don't know what that would work out to.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  20. Spacemonkey

Spacemonkey New Member

Auckland
    I guess I'll soon(?) find out, I ordered one a few days ago from Aztech Innovations.

"PREORDER - Expected to ship late September"