Tech Horror stories

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by E135, Dec 14, 2016.

1. E135

E135 Active Member

Man! A 2 month late topic idea! Goodie! Anyways, this thread is for any horror stories you have about a tech screwing up your gun, as well as the worst things that techs had seen on their bench. For example, a tech finds that a customer had tried to use elmers glue for sorbo installment, or a customer finds that the tech installed a piston in backwards. As long as it seems half-assed, it belongs on this thread.

2. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A few years ago I was hired to repair the gearbox of a TM P90 that had been upgraded by Redwolf airsoft. Welp, what I saw definitely showed me the importance of gluing in the bushings. The top bushing on the bevel gear had rotated in it's hole in the shell and widened out the whole by several millimeters. this obviously caused a catastrophic failure of the bevel gear.

I also once had an AK Beta on my bench where the owner had removed the locking plate on the gearbox to make room for the battery...

It makes me sad to see abused AEG's...:(

3. E135

E135 Active Member

Lol use images to make like a copy of those animal shelter commercials. "For only 1 dollar, you can help an AEG get better..." XD

4. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't have time for that, I have like 7 AEG's at home that needs my attention. :p

5. Airborne101

Airborne101 Well-Known Member

Chicago
    I was hired by a guy to fix another tech's shoddy work. According to the "tech", the gearbox was "perfectly" shimmed. When I got the gun, I couldn't spin the gears, and the piston was too tight in the rail.

6. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    A past customer dropped a box of parts in my lap, said here you can have them. Inside I found the shattered remains of an UAR by APS. I asked what happened to it and he said he bought it off a guy who broke the body so he glued it back together. When the customer tried to take it apart, he literally pulled the thing apart with his bare hands, never tried to remove a screw or anything. Snapped the internal structure in several places. Considering the customer looks like a linebacker for an NFL team, and seeing the damage done, I believe him when he says he pulled it apart.

Don't even get me started on the poor gas shotgun that was also included with that box of parts, I'm still trying to determine what's missing from it.

7. E135

E135 Active Member

Thread revive!

Not much of a horror story, but my friend really screwed up his motor alignment when he tried installing a ARES pistol grip. I will be taking a look at it as well as teach him how to shim hopefully fairly soon.

8. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member

Oceanside
    Thread revive (again, lol). This is a tale of my one experience with ASGI's 'certified' techs. Once upon a time, I had a high speed AK47su build. It was someone else's build, so it had some issues: at only 20rps, it was having severe feeding issues, even with flash mags. The pistol grip was extremely wobbly. The (20amp) fuse was popped. And that's just the stuff I remembered. I replaced the fuse with a 25amp one (or 30 amp), and fixed the pistol grip. Unfortunately, I wasn't sure how to diagnose feeding issues at that time, so I sent it to ASGI. All in all, it cost me almost $100 for this 'service'.

Well, turn around time was great, faster than I expected. According to the Tech's notes, misfeeding had been sorted, and they had fired 2 mags or so through it verify. It arrives at my house. I'm pumped, go to fire off a mag and... It's still misfeeding. So I let them know and send it back. Same thing happens again. Only this time, it comes back missing several parts (gearbox screws, THE FUSE!?!, the plastic gearbox clip, you get the idea), and the gearbox clamp was heavily gouged. According to them, there is no notes of the tech deleting my fuse or anything else, so obviously he didn't do it (must have been the mailman lol).

Same song, fourth verse. This time, I get it back, go to test fire it... And destroy a battery. So I try a bigger battery. Destroyed that ($50) battery, melted my wiring and battery pouch, burned my pillow, damage the paint. Send it back. Their explanation is that it's 'user error', and that I pinched the wires. Thing is, I knew what I hadn't, as I always made sure not to pinch the exposed wires (had a folding metal stock). So they ship it back, after 'going the extra mile' and rewiring it (with a much shorter harness) to Tamiya connectors (instead of deans like it had been... Supposedly they didn't stock deans). Get it back in. Still misfeeding horribly. Wiring overheats frequently (low resistance silver wiring). Still missing the fuse, splice has a crap solder job. And now, I don't even have any batteries I can use with it (they did send me a cheap 1600 mah nunchuck as consolation for the 2 dead batteries).

It scares me that people actually recommend ASGI's techs.

9. Hangtight

Hangtight Well-Known Member

The first gun I bought was a G&G TR16 M4 pistol that the young owner had tried to build into a DSG. It was advertised as 'amazing', but when I got it, it was in pieces and had obviously never run.
    The piston was a mess, as he'd attempted a Swiss cheese job.

[​IMG]

But it cleaned up OK.

[​IMG]

And as for the motor... At some point the motor height had been wound up so tight that the shaft had started to grind through the base plate, and the pinion looked like a dogs chew toy. It looked like he tried to solder the brush braids to the brush housing, which is something I do to cheap motors as it's better than just having them jammed under the brush springs. But in doing so he actually managed to solder the brushes to the housing,as well as burning the bejesus of of the end bell.

[​IMG]

Then there are the stripped gearbox screws, non existent shimming....

But the motor is still running in my CQB gun, and a little while ago I came across the bag of bits, which together with other odds and sods got built into the wicked little 45rps pistol it was supposed to be in the first place.

[​IMG]

And the only thing it owes me is the ready mag. Never throw anything away. ;)

10. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    Spitfire, sounds like an experience I had years ago with Evike. Long story short, either their techs are idiots as are their customer service reps, or their techs follow the Scotty's rules of engineering. Tell the Captain (CSR) it will take four times longer than it will really take to do a job.

I ordered an M249 standard, and the para stock separately. Called and confirmed it was in stock. Received notice a few days later it was no longer in stock. Called them up, asked if I could get the para instead and have them swap out the short barrels for longer ones. Here's where it gets funny. The CSR said the barrels can't be swapped, it's not possible. I was reading a review on how easy it is to swap barrels on the same gun (A&K) while talking to the CSR. I basically called him a liar in a somewhat nice way. He then says he'll check with his tech, tech told him it would take two hours to do the barrel swap, shouldn't take more than two minutes. In the end, after threatening legal ramifications, I received the para, with a lovely aluminum carrying case, and the longer inner barrel and outer adapters with no extra charges.

That was about seven years ago, and although I still order from Evike when necessary, I do not deal with their techs, and I don't recommend them to anyone either.

11. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member

Oceanside
    Yup, sounds about right lol. All my bros have had great experience with ASGI though, so I'm a bit of a rarity around here I guess. I've been lucky with Evike so far thankfully (I buy most stuff on eBay or Brill though). That's the one thing I love about Truhop... their product is ok, but their customer service is incredible.