Teching Challenges

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by chumbro, Nov 26, 2012.

1. chumbro

chumbro New Member

wilsonville
    So tonight, I got to thinking about airsoft (as usual)., and I pondered upon a very interesting question. What makes a good tech good? What are the benchmarks that separate a good tech, from a bad tech?
    Being a beginner tech, I got to wondering how one becomes a good tech. I first thought of learning how to shim, and correct AOE, but I stopped there. So, I had this neat little idea. How about we make a list of challenges that someone could do to become a good tech? For example:

1. Preform a good shim job

2. Correct AOE

And so forth.

So, what do you guys think?

And maybe, if you post pictures if you completing each task, you could label you a "tech". I don't know. Just a thought.

2. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Sounds cool lol but we'll see.

What separates a good tech from a bad tech would be more of a person who can diagnose a problem correctly. And fix them as planned no matter what kind of problem encountered. Which would be hard to put up on here lol.

A good tech doesn't stress out and get pissed at the work. And tell the customer that they just need to buy a new gun (not the obvious stuff). Seen this happen a lot with the guys I train... And I get the grunt of it from the customer.

As for tech work in general, it would depend on what the person is good for. What are there strengths and weaknesses. If the person is better at fixing a problem more then their upgrading ability. Or doing external/fabricating work better then internal work. But should be more all around.

A good tech would have to show his or her tech work on an assortment of guns/gearboxes. Their best build down to the simple builds. Consistency is also a good thing to look for. Cleanliness as well.

A good tech should have a good range of information of brands. Not being bias. And know what a brand is inside and out. From the old things to the new. And not being "YouTubeTech" and wasting my damn time. Thats Irritating.

Also as a side note, a bad tech is someone who thinks that they "know everything" and "know what they're doing all the time." Especially when you know they just stated and did "one" build

Can't think of anything else at the moment. Will post more about it later lol

3. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    It's hard to say, what makes a good tech, and what makes a bad tech. Though, thinking about it, I think it comes down to a few different factors:

Knowledge of parts and problems, being able to identify issues before opening a gearbox. Knowing what parts are good and bad to use; what different symptoms point to.

Abilities, being able to build a gun that runs an M210 reliably, or an 80rps DSG, or a 550fps 50rps rifle, though these may be on the extreme side of things.

Communication. You could be the best tech in the world, but if you're a jerk to everyone, are hard to communicate with, or no one can keep in touch with you, no one will want you working on their guns. Follow up also falls under this, problem solving, stuff like that. If the tech messes something up, how well do they respond to the mistake, how do they try to fix it.

Those are the first 3 points that came to my mind, and probably are the most important aspects of being a good tech.

4. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood New Member

Inverness
    I think the ability to diagnose, identify and SOLVE problems makes a good tech.

Anyone can take 13:1 gears and throw them in a gun with a giant lipo and shoot 40 RPS or put an M170 in or whatever. It's the ability to solve those little niggling issues that always arise in airsoft guns that separates those who really know the system theyre working with from guys who just put parts together in my opinion.

5. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A good tech will meet the client's requirements at the lowest cost possible without compromising the reliability and performance of the build. That be if the client is someone else, or yourself. A good tech is able to plan the build from the purchase of parts to handing it over to the customer. A patient and organized tech is a good tech. I will admit that I do struggle with the patience aspect sometimes hehe, I nearly smashed a CYMA MP5K to bits the other day. It's my own gun, but still, losing your temper is counter-productive.

I've only done one paid tech job so far, all other builds have been my own. With my own builds I sometimes take chances and experiment, I didn't take any chances with that paid tech job. I over-engineered pretty much everything and did everything "by the book".

6. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Continuing things from above...

I'd have to say "extreme builds" are more of a personnel preference for a tech. More a of a uniqueness or extra quality that they might have. It is pretty rare to have a customer now that wants "extreme builds." You'll get one once in a great while, but the majority of customers will be turned down after seeing the price of the job.

About 95% of the jobs will be:
    - installation of new parts
    - diagnosing internal and external problems
    - knowing compatibility between airsoft brands
    - knowledge of all airsoft brands
    - knowledge of every part of a Gun inside and out, down to the last screw.
    - and basic upgrading
    - soldering good in general (no cutting corners)

On the other hand, I wouldn't want a tech under me that "personally" only builds power fps guns. Then it would be a liability for me when they play on the field. Or someone that goes on the field with a "illegal" gun. Looks bad on my behalf.

I like the "communication" aspect said above. That is something I would really look for in a tech. If there is no communication then there is no reason for that person to be a "paid" tech. He can stay his own "personal tech."

After hundreds and hundreds of jobs done, I think it comes down to consistency of the job, the ability to diagnose problems, communication, workmanship, cleanliness, and the knowledge the airsoft world from the past to present. Building a good reputation with your local airsoft community. No cutting corners. No taking advantage of a ill-experienced/beginner airsoft player. And always doing your best job from the beginning to the end. I think that's what is and will be a good airsoft tech.

My 2 cents... And I probably can add more later :)

7. chumbro

chumbro New Member

wilsonville
    Wow guys. We could write a book :p

Basically what I am hearing, is a good tech is able to identify, solve, and upgrade broken things, while remaining a loyal businessman. I'm also hearing ALOT about builds. Is that the best way to get experience? I might just have to crack open my combat machine in the corner...

8. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Experience is the best form of knowledge so, yes, lots of builds is the way to learn. Plus, you know, lots of research and reading other threads where they list problems and how they fixed them.