Teching

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by Ktinga1, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Ktinga1

Ktinga1 New Member

Hey Airsofters. I'm looking at getting into teching my guns, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I've been in the hobby for about 4 years now, and I wish to expand my experience. Anyone have any tips? I'd like to do some work on my CYMA CM-040-B (and AK-105), but I don't know where to start.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  2. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    The easiest way to start is to get a used gun, find Youtube disassembly (and reassembly) videos and watch a few of them before trying it yourself. When you try it, go step by step w/ the video so you don't do something wrong. Do this a few times and you should get it down pretty quickly.
    From there, try disassembling the gearbox and reassembling it. Once you're able to do it and have the gun back in original working condition, try your luck in swapping out parts.

From there, you should start/continue researching internals, trying to get a better understanding of what does what as well as simple troubleshooting. Now understand you will NEVER master every avenue of teching, in fact there'll likely be a lot of things you don't even try. But the thing about teching is that you're going to spend a lot of time in one or two areas, if not both. You're going to spend quite the amount of time working through trial and error, trying to figure out what does what and how to change things. The other side of it is you'll spend a lot of time researching what does what and reading theories on changing things.

The more it intrigues you, the more you're likely spend researching. But know this, you'll never master every teching concept. There are too many, and even then there appears to be a new concept or idea popping up every other week.

Reverting back up to my original first sentence, you want to get yourself a used but WORKING gun to practice on. Why? Well you're going to pop the gun open and there's a chance you may not get it back together and working. And seeing as used guns are cheaper than new guns, save a few bucks on a beat up but fully working used gun to learn on. It just makes sense. Where possible, get a gun that has an un-tainted gearbox and stock parts.

Typically I suggest starting with a Version 2 gearbox, but a version 3 is fine as well. It's virtually identical to the Version 2 with a few small differences. Lastly, know that Google and YouTube are your very best friends.

-mobile device-

3. Ktinga1

Ktinga1 New Member

Awesome, thank you! Yeah, I plan on using mostly AKs, so a Version 3 is what I'm looking at right now, though I may try a version 2 or version 6 sometime in the future! Thanks again!