Techs?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by BRTSoloWing, Aug 13, 2012.

1. BRTSoloWing

BRTSoloWing Well-Known Member

China Grove
    tech's how do y'all do it? Iv learned enough to start teching for my local dealer/ sponsor, but every time I tell a customer what it will cost to fix there rifle, thay decide not to get it fixed. So how do y'all get people to let y'all fix there rifles?

Edit: I think the grammar is right now, again sorry about that

Shady can you fix the title for me please?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  2. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    Are you asking for a grammar nazi convention? Because you're gonna get it...

Anyway, tell them it's not going to cost any less anywhere else, and they can have a professional do it. That's what I do.

3. Shady

Shady Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Dude, come on. You've been around long enough to know to use proper spelling and grammar. Fix it, this will be closed until it's fixed.

4. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    Tell them that you know what you are doing, and that unless they want to risk their gun breaking even more, they should pay you to fix it.

5. BRTSoloWing

China Grove
    This I'm doing, I even have pics and videos of the rifles iv repaired to show them. And price wise I think I'm fair on. I charge $50 labor plus parts. Am I going about this wrong?

6. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    I charge 25 dollars labor, plus parts and shipping. I think you should lower the price a little bit.

7. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    The shop I work at does $25 labor, and $50 labor if it involves the gearbox being opened. Unless the gun was bought from the shop. Then there is no labor cost. Just parts.

8. BRTSoloWing

China Grove
    Okay maybe ill consider doing it this way. This sounds like a good deal.

The AK that was brought in for me to fix wasn't bought at our shop though. It has a busted receiver, and a locked up gear box. I haven't looked into the gear box yet, but I'm going to give the guy a free diagnostics(sorry if this is the wrong word) on it, and I'm going to tell him what parts will be needed and the price for all of it. I told him I also have a $50 labor charge with the price of the parts. When I work on gear boxes I also fix AOE, compression, and reshim. So is $50 still too much?

9. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
    People will hear $50, and decide thats a big start up cost. That's why most people have a starting point say $30 (for a private gig) then a fee every hour after that first one.

Then also say, that you have a promise to at least look at the rifle if it has a problem within a year of you touching it. That doesn't mean you have to fix it just diagnose it tell them the issue then ask if they want you to fix it.

You should give him a estimate of what it will cost before he walks out the door. Most techs at a shop will look at the rifle diagnose it, run through the things and give a rough estimate. You will have a unhappy customer if you take a day to look at his rifle then tell him he needs $80 worth of parts ontop of his receiver cost.

If you can't do that, then get a general idea of what certain parts cost then if you think you know can say, "at max it will cost you ____"

Its kind of a stupid process nowadays. People hate throwing money more then $80 into their clone. Wish it was like the olden days. *dreams*

Thats basically my deal with the amount of business I've done locally. If you can have your own replica on hand so they can shoot it. If they get to use a amazing replica hey they maybe willing to drop a lil more dough.

10. BRTSoloWing

China Grove
    Okay, cool. Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely consider this. This will help me look and sound like a more knowledgeable tech as well. Thanks guys for the comments. I'm going to sit down and set up a more professional way to go about teching, and hopefully keep some customers.

11. INFANTRYPRO

INFANTRYPRO New Member

Ever since I started doing it for my friends and some other people I make it nic and cheap. The only thing I charge for is labor and the exact cost of parts. I only charge roughly 2-5 dollars an hour depending on what gun and type of gearbox it is and what needs to be done. They normally walk away with a cheap fix.

12. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    50.00 labor + parts cost - I would walk away too...

The guy who does work at our field charges 30.00/hr and he is one of the best techs you could go to. A local shop will even refer you to him if they can't / don't want to work on your gun.

The shop charges 40-45.00 for labor.

I would say if you lowered your labor cost to around 30.00 you will see more buisness.

13. TheAirsoftTech

TheAirsoftTech New Member

I charge 25$ an hour+parts and a free diagnostic.
    I would charge more, but I don't consider my self a "tech" by any means. But I can do AOE adjustment, shimming, re-lube, and compression; I can replace parts and what not. I just haven't made my own DMR build or high speed build like the rest of you techs. So, 25$ an hour plus parts and a free diagnostic, that's a good competitive price to charge. IMO.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  14. Shady

Shady Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Damn I do cheap work..... My top flat rate, depending on job, is $15. I'm in the middle of fixing mags for a guy, I'm gettin $2 per mag plus parts and shipping. I don't mind not getting much money, I enjoy doing the work.

15. INFANTRYPRO

INFANTRYPRO New Member

That's how I am. I love working on guns. It's fun for me and cheap for the customer so I'm not complaining and I know the customer isn't. I actually just did a whole reworking job on a UMP for $15 only using aftermarket wiring (to make it cheaper for him) and I had a blast doing it. I must have no life :p

16. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Same here. Lol. Flat rate of 25 dollars for everythingXD. Plus shipping and parts of course. In the middle of a G36 build right now for a local guy.

17. INFANTRYPRO

INFANTRYPRO New Member

Nice man. Just did one the other day. But this guys UMP was the koolest CQB gun I've ever seen. It's so perfect!

18. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    if i ever started teching for a living, i would put a 30% markup on parts (only install parts bought from me) and not charge for labor. i don't see a large market for local repairs, but i do see a large market for parts.

currently, i don't charge for labor and i just tell them what parts to bring me. you will not believe the free parts they give. those free parts often go into repairs for kids that can't afford to play.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012