Temperature

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Player3972, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Player3972

Player3972 Member

I'm wondering if cold temperatures effects an airsoft guns performance. My friend told me that cold temperatures decrease the range of the gun and such, is that true?

2. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    It is true if you are using greengas/propane.

Cold can affect the rubber o-rings and bucking in your gun causing a potential problem with compression or accuracy/range.

If it gets really cold, it is possible that your gearbox can become brittle and crack. I believe that is what happened to L5312 up in Minnesota.

3. Player3972

Player3972 Member

Ok, I have an aeg with a metal gearbox, if I were to use it in cooler temperatures what would happen. Will it cause any damage to the gun?

4. GunsnBones

GunsnBones New Member

How cold will it be and how long will you be playing?

5. Player3972

Player3972 Member

I'd probably be playing for a few hours in temperatures during november in Massachusetts, US

6. GunsnBones

GunsnBones New Member

You should be fine. I have played for hours in the cold pennsylvanian winters and never had a problem.

7. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    I've played in winter before. I didn't notice any lack of range or accuracy. Just make sure to keep your battery warm. That will be the first thing to go. If you run lipos it shouldn't be as much of an issue. I had no problems this past winter with my lipo but previous years I did using NIHM batteries. A lot of people use hand warmers to keep the battery warm.

Don't bother using any type of gas gun becuase it will be useless..

8. Grudge

Grudge New Member

Winnipeg
    IT really depends on HOW COLD it gets. Where I am in Canada, Manitoba, we can't play for most of the winter, MId-Novmber to Mid-April. AS most AEG's that have any plastic components will not hold up well. Green gas guns are useless and even CO2 guns loose effectiveness. But in British Columbia, they quite often play through the winter as the temperatures are alot milder!

9. C-4man

C-4man New Member

Comox Valley
    I'm on Vancouver Island and the coldest it gets is -10 and that is for maybe one or 2 days

10. gunerforWP

gunerforWP New Member

Frederick
    The cold can affect the spring.

11. jinggong

jinggong New Member

BRIDGEWATER
    Gas

115 psi for propane is optimal

12. jinggong

jinggong New Member

BRIDGEWATER
    c02 i'm not sure, maybe 170 psi

13. Player3972

Player3972 Member

Ok, but how cold was it during the pennsylvanian winters?

14. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

EDIT:I did not mean to post this. Please delete it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  15. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

Maybe down to 20 degrees on a low day. Normally around 30-35 degrees F. But I live in southern PA, northern PA is probably a bit colder.

16. Player3972

Player3972 Member

What is the temperature in British Columbia during milder winters?