The CZ Shadow Mod/Tech Thread

Discussion in 'Gas Powered Guns' started by Hyperslow556, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Hyperslow556

Hyperslow556 Active Member

PDX
    I bought the ASG/KJ-Works CZ SP-02[Shadow 2] and pretty much immediately started doing modifications. I figured I would chronicle and share my thoughts and work with the Airsoft community. I urge others that have this pistol, as well as the SP-01, to get involved and share your work and/or ideas. If you find upgrades, regardless of where they are located on earth, let us know!

Here we go...

fred_ditto likes this.
  2. Hyperslow556

PDX
    Removing the thicc orange thread paint.

IMG_20190624_183937601.jpg
    In this picture you are seeing the paint on the threads, not the orange thread cap.

Tools-
    -Aluminum Aircraft Paint stripper(do not use in enclosed area, have proper ventilation)
    -Paint Stripper applicator(there are lots of things that can be used; do not use finger)
    -Skin and eye protection(always)
    -2" Wide Masking tape
    -Small brass brush
    -Workspace

I didn't feel like removing the pin in the hop-body to remove the inner barrel, so I left it in and practiced being careful.

1. Clean grease off outer barrel with a lint-less rage. After all grease is wiped off, clean the entire outer with rubbing alcohol wipes to remove any grease left. Let dry.

2. Mask outer barrel at thread collar on outer barrel.

3. Apply stripper to threads and press in, also apply stripper all the way to tape, let sit 20+minutes. [If you get any stripper on the tape, just wipe it off.] You can also put a little just inside the outer barrel if desired, as the barrel sits about 30mm back. I didn't bother trying to remove paint from the inside, but some did come out.

4. After sitting for duration use an old and wet rag and wipe off the easier to remove paint. Then dig in between the thread with the rag and remove whatever else will come easily.(Remember your protections)

5. Repeat steps 3 & 4, three more times.

6. Clean off stripper with old, wet rag. Again, dig wet rag between threads.(remember your gloves, skin protection)

6.a. Once you get to the third or forth repeat of steps 3 & 4, you may be able to remove what little left over paint between the thread with a brass wire brush. --As I did after the fourth stripper application.

7. Remove masking and finish thread collar with brass wire brush if any paint exist. Be careful not to drag the wire brush past the collar and scratch the outer barrel.

8. Do a final clean of the area where stripper was applied with either soap and water, or rubbing alcohol wipes or soaked rag. Also remember to wipe out and clean inside of outer barrel as a little paint stripper may have fallen over the crown to the inside.

9. Lightly grease outer-barrel and reassemble.

10. Don't get shot by John Law!

My Tracer Units now fit, but some of my thread protectors will not. I feel that the outer diameter of the threads is larger than M14. I have not taken calipers to it yet.

IMG_20190625_130403381.jpg

IMG_20190625_130449826.jpg
    I'm not so sure the crown is squared to the barrel, so I'm going to check that as well.

More to come...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019

3. Hyperslow556

PDX
    Found these...

CZ 75 - 17397 -- https://actionsportgames.com/files/files/ecom/products/Exploded-drawings/17397_Exploded.pdf

CZ P-09 - 17657 -- https://actionsportgames.com/files/files/ecom/products/Exploded-drawings/17657_Exploded.pdf

"Shadow 2 English Menu" - http://www.kjworks.com.tw/photo/15608427443.pdf

The hop-bodies look exactly the same from the schematics.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  4. fred_ditto

fred_ditto Well-Known Member

Des Moines
  5. Hyperslow556

PDX
    Going back to the 'short stroking'...

Got back home, added another oring to the stack to decrease stroke length, spacer now measures 6.69mm. Slide lock still functions. Put OE recoil spring back in as higher tension spring(cut 150%) under higher preload needs more gas to cycle slide reward. Not a lot more gas, but more gas.

Chrono in 72f after holding mag in hand for few minutes after topping off with GG... 344.8fps, 341.6fps, 338.2 in three shot trigger spam. Not bad, can make better!

--When I play(indoors mostly), I hold my second mag in my hand and reload between engagements. This helps speed up gas expansion.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  6. Hyperslow556

PDX
    Note; once these areas start showing wear, they need to have the square edges rounded and polished. This will slow down the wearing. I'm noticing that the sharp edges of the outer barrel slide seating notches are taking off a bit of metal from the notches on the inside topside of the slide. The anodizing of the aluminum barrel is harder than the 'painted caste aluminum' surface of the slide. Out of 5, I give the paint quality a 3.

This is less than 200 rounds later.

You don't need to go crazy rounding out the edge, just get rid of the squaring with some 800-grit or finer.

I'm going to let it wear a few hundred rounds more, or until I see more ALU particals in the oil before I reduce edges and polish.

IMG_20190626_183313510.jpg

IMG_20190626_183455326.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  7. Hyperslow556

PDX
    Short Stroking:

Last night I played around more with just how tight I can get this pistols tolerances... I added more spacers to the stroke stack making a total spacer length of 14.4mm. Pistol still cycles fully, and in my basement workspace area where it's a little cooler than outside, I chrono'ed 3 shots at; 325.3, 322.8 & 320.3. Consistency got better!

The 14.4mm spacer(s) has gone past lock, so in current configuration the slide lock is not usable. However, I plan on going over to my friends machine shop soon and am going to cut a new slide-lock catch in the slide.

I'll remove 0.295"[7.5mm] forward of lock x 0.0315"[.80mm] from the bottom of the slide rail. This will allow the original lock to remain, while allowing a secondary lock to be used with a 14.5mm stroke decrease. Effectively giving the slide two locks for two different stroke lengths. The new lock-catch will not interfere with the original lock-catch.

Lock cut.jpg

lock cut 2.jpg

--Pics edited in

Edit to post #4

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  8. Hyperslow556

PDX
    Got the new lock cut. By Patrick of saberforge.com. They do not do milling services for airsoft, just happened to be in the right place at the right time... Thank you very much Patrick! --Of which, there is a short video on my Instagram of the Oregon City, Oregon showroom.

Also, short stroke is now 18mm.

IMG_20190702_174233173.jpg

And while we have the inner barrel out, lets take a look at the hop assembly.

IMG_20190702_170128507.jpg
    Err... Hop body design insist that inner barrel have cut around diameter to fit in hop-body. Note; KJ-Work performance barrels do not exist. Their stock brass barrels are 'okay', but could use about 50k+ lapping passes.

IMG_20190702_171724153.jpg

The Hop Tensioner: I've tested three buckings in the hop. Forget using Modify buckings unless you either a) fill in gap b) remove tabs, or c) figure way to modify I-key into Tensioner. The bucking shoots, but the Tensioner-tabs are not applying pressure to the areas of the Modify bucking to properly use the nub in the Modify bucking. --a) A: Epoxy... Hmm?

An AIP bucking preformed accurately with okay range and stable shot-to-shot consistency, but the Tensioner needed to be turned "on" more as the nub of the bucking is not as thick as the EO ASG bucking-nub.

I also have a Poseidon bucking I tested with. Preformed with better accuracy at range than the OE ASG and aftermarket AIP buckings. Overall, with the Poseidon bucking at 40ft I can hit quarters. Much better then the accuracy of the other two buckings.

Even though there is very little, very little play in the fitting of the inner to outer barrels, I have already ordered two Modify barrel stabilizers to clock at 5 and 7 o'clock to get barrel closest as possible to TDC after every cycle. --Made my Glock super accurate!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  9. Hyperslow556

PDX
    Poseidon bucking. Most accurate and consistent of the buckings I have available, but has lower FPS than OE bucking, but higher FPS than AIP bucking.

Last night, in similar temps, I got about 50rnds a gas fill. Today... First shot was wrong mag. Some trigger spam, and some solo shots after pauses, and some double & triple taps, should be noticeable in the chrono.

IMG_20190704_121218175.jpg

IMG_20190704_120745249.jpg

IMG_20190704_120827690.jpg
    IMG_20190704_120852641.jpg
    IMG_20190704_120923523.jpg
    IMG_20190704_120958274.jpg

Had I let the mags sit for 5 minutes I would have got higher FPS readings! Chrono was taken about 2min after filling mag.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    ma_airsoft likes this.
  10. djshy

djshy New Member

New York
    This thread is a godsend! Just got the cz2 and was pretty bummed that none of my thread protectors or tracer units fit on this thing! But you’ve given me hope! So it really is the thick paint that prevents anything being screwed on besides the included orange adapter!?

Curious what tracer units you’ve tried and were successful. I have acetech and an xcortech tracer unit.

Thanks!

11. djshy

djshy New Member

New York
    Got the paint off the threads and the only thing that fits is my xcortech XT501 MK2 tracer. A bit long for my taste... I’ve tried the xcortech XT301 and acetech lighter s tracers and they don’t fit.... bummer.

Although I just ordered another sp-02 threaded outer barrel, black threads from airsoftstation.com and hoping the thread size is different from the stock barrel!

12. Hyperslow556

PDX
    Since removal of orange paint with strong chemical paint remover the only thing to not fit is when I try to flip the thread protector I'm using to the other side. My Lighter works just fine, I've screwed the xcortech on, as well as the new acetech BT have fit. That paint is very thick and took me several applications of paint stripper with a final brass brush brushing. Few days of work.

13. Hyperslow556

PDX
    Reason any silencer or tracer unit will seem to have a downward tilt when mounted to SP-02 outer barrel, too long of a silencer or tracer and BB may hit inside.
    IMG_20190820_103751364.jpeg IMG_20190820_103810717.jpeg IMG_20190820_105601241.jpeg IMG_20190820_105558309.jpeg IMG_20190820_104204299.jpeg

14. Hyperslow556

PDX
    Testing different buckings: Getting really good performance with the Poseidon 70*. It was 72f outside when I tested. On a 4 second fill and after mag rest a few minutes I'm getting 340fps on GG, and it's consistent too. I'll try to remember to get some pics off the chrono next time I test.

ASG, if you read this at all, send Oregon Airsoft Arena some extra hop-bodies for this pistol!

15. fred_ditto

fred_ditto Well-Known Member

Des Moines
    Considering you've done all this work OP, I have a feeling you already know this, but for those reading this later with less knowledge: the proper way to fill gas mags is NOT to count. You fill until there is no more sound. It is not possible to "overfill" gas mags.

Jack Edwards likes this.
  16. Hyperslow556

PDX
    None of my Shadow 2 mags came with rubbers for the full valve, so once the mag is filled, you actually hear more gas as it escapes the fill valve, since there is no oring. I've not bothered putting orings in either. Though I put some in the order I just placed, so maybe.

Recently I've filled mags until I hear the pressure between tank and mag equalize. I use welding propane.

fred_ditto likes this.
  17. Piratebunny

Piratebunny New Member

Riverside
    So I have spent a lot of time getting my threaded barrel clean and it's perfect now but still will not fit a 14mm CCW tracer. I purchased a die. Hopefully, that will help clean it up more cut the threads properly. I am shocked that this is not a bigger complaint anywhere else on the market. I feel like the gun shoots fantastic as a CO2 gun but to have a simple barrel thread not pass QC this badly is insane to me.