The dreaded open field crossing

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by shlunka, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Get into the prone position, camo up as best as you can, and slowly crawl to the other side.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Gather team members, each person covering an area, and move swiftly across the area.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't cross these open areas.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Haul it!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. shlunka

shlunka New Member

Raphine
    We all reach a point in our airsoft careers in a game, unless you do indoors exclusively; that we must cross an open field. Where there is sometimes 50, 100, even 300+ yards to move across an area where the best form of cover possible is 6" tall grass. All that money you put into camouflage and gear, nothing can assist you, even a ghillie's blending ability means absolutely moot. So, what is your strategy for traversing large, open, low-cover areas? Personally I just haul *** to the nearest object larger than myself on the other side of the area.

2. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
    I run across the field screaming Leeroy at the top of my lungs. Works out well........20% of the times.

3. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    Cold burning smoke grenades.

4. Finalencounter

Finalencounter Duke of Penguins Supporting Member

Warrenton
    I just haul It. I'm a sprinter, so it works out well. Only time ill go prone is when it's dark-like out.

5. Sohte

Sohte Member

San Jose/ Bay Area
    Run forrest run!!!!!!!

6. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    I scream out at the top of my lungs while slowly walking across... "WARRIORS... COME OUT TO PLAAAY!!!"

7. RadicalAirsofter123

RadicalAirsofter123 New Member

Marine City
    I just spray and pray will sprinting, you got about a 50/50 chance of making it....

8. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    ....I just wait until they cross the open area, or my guys clear the other side so I can cross, I like waiting patiently to hit guyz a lot more than crossing.
    90% success

9. Dead Eye

Dead Eye New Member

Ocala
    I have had better success with crossing low and slow. not prone but just keeping gun at the ready, while scanning the area and shooting at anything that moves. I have tried running and grouping with little success as a larger group brings more attention and running will get you winded and less able to defend well when or if you make it through. also smoke works well as long as you don't blind yourself with it. its also good to keep your team at your 6 while giving cover fire.

10. averageairsofter

averageairsofter New Member

Menifee
    Unless I am sure that the enemy won't see me crossing(nightime or tall grass/bushes for camoflauge) I just haul a** and get across the open area. If I see an enemy I dump a 50 round burst in their direction while running across and find good cover as soon as possible. Usually spraying bbs in their general direction will at atleast scare them enough to make them not hit you and if you are lucky maybe them and get them but unless you can aim really well while sprinting I doubt it.

11. tasgal

tasgal New Member

Richmond
    I find canon fodder and send them out first. LOL.
    Seriosuly smoke grenade or low crawl or both.

12. ReconOpsFireteam

ReconOpsFireteam New Member

Mohave Valley
    Our team has a covering system. I cross they cover me. Another crosses we cover them we get into positions that we can cover no matter where we cross.

13. MikeyBugs95

MikeyBugs95 Member

New York
    Well... This is similar to rof646's tactic, but how about Leapfrogging? Where the group hangs back providing cover while a few people, usually between 2-4 at a time, from the back of the group move forward a few meters. Then a few more from the back move a few meters ahead of the guys or girls that just moved forward. Then continuing this until you get everyone across. I know this is usually employed during withdrawals but could also be used while advancing.

14. Pyronius

Pyronius New Member

Pleasant View
    :X

Riot shield much...... :X

15. MikeyBugs95

MikeyBugs95 Member

New York
    That'd be too easy :p lol.

16. Hat3d1

Hat3d1 New Member

Moore
    Bounding as a team. It works the best in my experience.

17. UrdnotWrex

UrdnotWrex Member

Gettysburg, PA
    Depends on my mood. If possible I'll try a high crawl across, if not and I am recieving close and accurate fire I'll scream "Tenneheitzen Banzai" and charge across the field.

18. Frostbite1

Frostbite1 New Member

Frisco
    A combo between leapfrogging and hauling ***. It works, most of the time even it the enemy has a superior position, because a they mostly likely wont lead you while shooting and B their going be in cover because of suppressive fire. And the field I mostly go to is about 3/4 forest and 1/4 open field with various forts scattered throughout it. So where I play you got to be good at crossing fields pretty quickly.

19. The Fox

The Fox New Member

A little village in Europe
    I send the tanks first, then follow up with infantry in IFVs.

Since that only works in RTS games; I dont cross open fields unless I know its safe

20. TacticalChef

TacticalChef New Member

San Francisco
    i tey to avoid open spaces if possible. usually there is a way around, and i tend to take it. if i know I'm far from the fight, I'll cross, but otherwise i think better safe than respawning.