The ESSENTIAL Guide to Gasses for Gas Guns

Discussion in 'Gas Powered Guns' started by Remoon101, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    I suppose I have one more interesting note to add.

The most common gas used in PC duster gas is 1,1,1,2 tetrafluoroethane, which is what we know as HFC 134a, and what comes in any can of 134a that you buy from an airsoft store. However, some PC duster uses difluoroethane rather than 1,1,1,2 tetrafluoroethane. After hearing reports that difluoroethane puts out more power than 1,1,1,2 tetrafluoroethane, I decided to hunt down a can (it took stops at about 6 stores before I could find it) and run a little test. Using my WA Wilson Combat (SCW 1) and .20g bbs, I ran 10 shots of each gas through my chrono. I allowed the mags equal time to warm between starting the tests, as well as an even two seconds between each shot. The difference? Difluoroethane put our a paltry 5 FPS more than the 1,1,1,2 tetrafluorethane on the first shot. Nothing big there. What was interesting, however, was the difference in cool down between the two. From the first shot to the last, the difluoroethane only lost 3 FPS. The 1,1,1,2 tetrafluoroethane lost 12 FPS. That's over the course of 20 seconds with a bit of warm up time in between shots. If you extrapolate that to say, 6 shots over a two second time, and you're going to see a significant cool down effect in the 1,1,1,2 tetrafluoroethane, but a far less noticeable cool down effect with the difluoroethane.

It's not a huge deal, and if you can't difluoroethane your performance won't exactly be hurting. But for those of you who prize consistency, which is so hard to get in a GBB, difluoroethane will get you one step closer than 1,1,1,2 tetrafluoroethane.

2. Remoon101

Remoon101 Active Member

Burke
    You don't mind if I incorporate some of your posts into the main guide for knowledge's sake, right? (A little late in asking but just wanted to make sure)

3. Knief

Ann Arbor
    No, go right ahead. Just do me a favor and cite me as the source.

4. Kmkraft12

Kmkraft12 New Member

Gainesville
    So if you had a gbb with propane what if someone lit a smoke grenade with a lighter as you were shooting could your gun explode and injure yourself and other people

5. tjhimes

tjhimes New Member

It would be best to use green gas in a gbb smg right.

6. Redfalcon

Redfalcon New Member

Ehh...don't think that will happen... Te gas is use to shoot a bb. A BB. One. Now it was full auto,maybe but one shot won't blow up your gun. And besides pyro and fire + airsoft=bad!!

7. Knief

Ann Arbor
    That depends on the brand. As a general rule, if it's a Taiwanese or Chinese brand, then yes either propane or green gas is what the gun is designed to use. If it's a Japanese brand (KSC, TM, WA, Maruzen, etc) then it's designed to use HFC 134a/duster gas.

What brand is it?

KM,

No, and for two reasons. As redfalcon noted, you're not dealing with a whole lot of propane actually being released, and it's being released at pressure. That means it disperses quickly and also cools down very fast. The lack of heat and density means that even if it does catch a flame, it'll blow itself out very quickly. Secondly, the mag is under positive pressure. The fire won't follow the gas back into the mag because the mag is blowing the propane out, not sucking it in (or allowing passage both ways at neutral pressure). It's the same reason your propane tank doesn't blow up on your grill at home. The propane is shooting out of the mag, so the only thing that could ignite is the stuff that's already been released from the mag. And that's not going to be under any real pressure since it's near-immediate expansion is what cycles the gun in the first place. So it wouldn't explode, it would just burn. But again, everything is moving so quickly and cooling down so fast that even then it would just blow itself out.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  8. Anon737

Anon737 New Member

D.C.
    This looks like a good guide, shouldnt it be stickied?

9. Remoon101

Remoon101 Active Member

Burke
    I'm currently working on getting permission from a mod to have it stickied still.

@Knief, essentially I'm taking quotes from you and copy/pasting into the guide, it should clearly show that I quoted you

10. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Sounds good, Remoon. Sounds good. If there's anything else I might be able to add or that you feel is incomplete, just let me know. If I don't know it I might know where to find it.

11. Remoon101

Remoon101 Active Member

Burke
    I think I still have those links you pm'd a long while back.. I might take a look at those and a get a good idea of what else to include

12. Remoon101

Remoon101 Active Member

Burke
    Additional notes on HFC134a vs Green Gas in certain guns

13. Knief

Ann Arbor
    At least mention that you copied and pasted that directly from another member's post.

14. Remoon101

Remoon101 Active Member

Burke
    Don't know which member originally posted it. I got it and quoted it off another member's quote of another member. I thought the fact that it was quoted and is completely intact would've essentially said the same thing. If it's yours, then I rightfully attribute it to you.
    Otherwise, for the benefit of everyone reading this, I copied and pasted my previous post directly from another member's post

15. kthphotos

kthphotos New Member

NYC
    where do i get green gas online?

16. airsoftguykwa

airsoftguykwa New Member

Airsoft gi has good gas but if you get a adapter use propane at academy

17. BlkShp

BlkShp New Member

Broward
    quick questions.. if I run a gbbr with a NPAS and I lower the FPS, will the gun be more efficient / will I retain more gas in the mag? no right?
    The way the NPAS works will give the gun more recoil as a result of a larger part of gas being redirected away from the nozzle. Please correct me if I am wrong.

18. Daemond6

Daemond6 New Member

Newcastle
    That's how the ra-tech npas works, yes. Can't comment on other makes, although if they where true npas devices, it should be the same.

19. Havok17

Havok17 New Member

Chicago
    Sorry if this is off topic but if I carry a can of green gas in a pouch and the pouch gets shot, will/could ut explode?

20. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    No it will not rupture.