the ol' plate carrier talk

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by NerfHurrDurr, Aug 3, 2020.

1. NerfHurrDurr

NerfHurrDurr Member

In the market for a plate carrier but kinda on a budget, just looking for advise on the best budget PC's

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Go cheap...get weak stitching...do you have any size requirements? Don't want a postage stamp on the hulk ya'know...it would look funny.

3. NerfHurrDurr

NerfHurrDurr Member

I am the smol but tubby size

4. Beetlebz

Beetlebz Well-Known Member

New Milford
    What size are we talking? I have some experience in tubby sizes.

5. NerfHurrDurr

NerfHurrDurr Member

5'5" hovering around the 200 mark

6. Beetlebz

New Milford
    And what's your goal? Utility? Clone correct? Actually running plates?

7. NerfHurrDurr

NerfHurrDurr Member

Utility and mock plates

8. Beetlebz

New Milford
    I really enjoy the AR500 veritas. Mine came with a skeletonized cummerbund which was a little small on me, but it also comes with the option for a simple side strap to connect the front and back plates. The carrier itself is minimalist and small, makes me look like I'm trying to hide behind a postage stamp, but fits and works really well. Holds 10x12 shooter cut plates great. I have soft 3A plates in one and its served me well.

I used to run a flyye RRV reproduction also for airsoft. Its more of a full bib chest rig than a plate carrier but it can be made to carry plates if you get the back panel for it.

Both are large feller friendly and I have run both. The condor MOPC fits me but the straps are super weird and don't line up for me at all. Im 6'1" 330.

9. Raven1st

Raven1st Well-Known Member

San Ramon valley
    Buy once, CRYE once.
    JPC 2.0 with MOLLE front flap, GMR Kydex mag insert, BFG Stackable 10 Speed triple, KAP plate pads (GreyShop) and PIG BRIG MK1 shoulder pads is so nice.
    I can put on the carrier loaded with a set of plates and mags and wear it around the house for a few hours before I start noticing anything that could be called minor discomfort.

I picked up an LBT 6094 a few months before I got the 2.0 and I thought that carrier was a pretty good, but the 2.0 just blows it out of the water in every way.

Also, size the carrier off of the size of plates you would be wearing. It may look a little small on your frame, but the important part of a carrier is securing a set of plates to your body and that should be the priority when fitting a carrier to yourself.

Swoledaddy likes this.
  10. NerfHurrDurr

NerfHurrDurr Member

that is unfortunately waaay out of my price range......

11. Beetlebz

New Milford
    The unfortunate flaw with that logic is they arent all sized the same. I mean thats absolutely correct, but just because your plate carrier fits your plates and your plates are right for you doesnt mean the carrier will fit. I had a few returns trying to find a carrier that fits.

12. Swoledaddy

Swoledaddy Active Member

east moline
    OP what's your budget?

13. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    You can always buy an empty GOOD fitting plate carrier and then just buy 1" foam
    [​IMG]

and cut to size.

Ulster likes this.
  14. NerfHurrDurr

NerfHurrDurr Member

like 100 maaaaaaybe a little more?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  15. Miles Guy

Miles Guy New Member

Fort Worth
    Cardboard (like 2 sheets) also works suprizingly well, for a low cost option.

Ulster likes this.
  16. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    ^yep...think double wall and some duct tape on edges too

Ulster likes this.
  17. Gimpalong

Gimpalong Member

Traverse City
    Given your budget, you're pretty much looking at earlier generation PCs that lack all the high-speed whiz-bang stuff of newer models.

Luckily for you there are some great PCs in this category. Chief among them is definitely the Eagle Plate Carrier (EPC). Khaki EPCs are all over Ebay for around $120. Very solid design, robust, affordable and, if you're into impressions, used by a variety of military units in the past (Rangers, USMC). You can find EPCs in Ranger Green and Khaki pretty easily. Alternatively, the Eagle RBAV is a solid carrier. Maybe a little pricier ($100-$150) than an EPC, the RBAV is also a bit of a larger, older design.

Otherwise you could go with a replica version of a modern PC like the Flyye copy of the Crye JPC or LBT 6094. MODI also makes a decent JPC replica. TMC makes a version of the Crye AVS if you want something really fancy.

There's also a wide variety of budget plate carriers like the Shellback Banshee or Grey Ghost Gear Minimalist PC that hover around the $100 mark, but that were never used by the military.

Personally, I'd avoid buying a Condor PC - the quality just isn't that great, re-sale basically doesn't exist and there are just many, many better options available.

18. Raven1st

Raven1st Well-Known Member

San Ramon valley
    I have more into cheap knock-off gear than this one setup cost. It is totally worth it finding a way to get good gear into your kit as fast as possible.
    You don’t need to buy everything in one go, get a FLYYE/MODI carrier second-hand and then buy a good line of pouches to fill it out.
    By the time you have a full kit the only thing that’s left to upgrade is the carrier. All your pouches are going to be in fantastic shape and have all the functions you want or need.

Then the logic of every major MIL contractor is wrong as well.
    You size the ballistic plates to cover your vitals, collar bone to the bottom of the rib cage and nipple to nipple, and then the carrier is sized to match the plates.

Every major MIL contractor will list what plates their carriers will take because they design some to accept the THICC BOI LVL IV plates and some to only accept the SAPI-cut LVL 3 or Ultralight High-Speed LVL IV plates (CRYE JPC 2.0 holds plates up to 1.25 inches thick, which does not work with most of the LVL IV plates on the market).

A lot of companies even sell the shoulder straps and cummerbund separate so you can get the right size plate bag and a properly-sized strap setup.

Cheap knock-off PC’s have bad sizing because they are cheap knock-offs. Even halfway decent repos like FLYYE will miss the mark a lot of the time.
    It also doesn’t help that they tend to only sell small or large cummerbunds with their PC’s which either end up too small for the man or too big for the plate bag.

I ran my MODI setup this was for several years. Solid option if you don’t want to deal with plastic plates and want a lot of comfort.
    The foam goes a long way to help secure your pouches and keep everything from flopping around when fully loaded.

19. Sniper272

Sniper272 Member

I've never been much of a gear guy. Something decent and functional is usually good enough for me. I've been running a Flyye JPC for a bit now and its quite satisfactory.

20. Beetlebz

New Milford
    I dont disagree. Even if the companies do list the sizes of their cummerbunds they're often silly expensive and/or don't list the size in inches. There are exceptions. I have or have had a bunch of big boy plate carriers for work and for play. Unfortunately not all manufacturers list their cummerbund sizes in inches and some even get pointedly haughty if you ask about sizes or extended sizes. Finding info on critical sizes for big dudes isn't easy.

I also want to add, the AR500 veritas isn't my recommendation because it's cheap, its my recommendation because I love it and its big guy friendly. That was my work carrier before I went to a concealable vest and it served me really well. I have soft 3A "plates" in it now in the bedroom because why not.