Airsoft Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
G-52 Tactical Shield Replica
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Airsofters!
I would like to start this thread out by saying I made another thread about full-body ballistic shield, and how I should make it, so I lot of people said for me to make it a cardboard shield, and while this sounds fair, the refs at my field did not like the sound of it when I pitched the idea, although when I asked them if a rifle shield could be allowed if weighted realistically, they said yes and now this become a question, are rifle shields better or worse than you average shield?
Wood Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Air gun

Now the picture seen above is what most people think when some says the words "rifle shield" and here is the thing though, most people dislike rifle shield that they allow you to peek and have no way for the other team to take you down, and the balanced aspect is the fact it can only cover like 1/8 of your entire body, as it really only cover your head (and maybe your shoulders.), so when you need to move up, your exposed like any other player.

So the thing is although they will allow the shield above how it is, I feel it is overpowered, so I decided to get a smaller version for my DMR, and I though for my Mk17 I'd make it that the shield itself would be 15 pounds and made of metal and big enough to cover my shoulders with a lexan slot it the middle for visibility, and plus I would only use iron sights, my only question is: is that balanced enough? or should I Nerf it like Ubi did to blackbeard?

Reactions: XxSpeedyBoixX

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan to use it to help my team push forward, as I'm what I like to call the "Diver" of my team, and I imagine I'll be kneeling/in prone position to make myself harder to hit.

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I've looked on Reddit and people seem to hate rifle shield with all their heart, even though they are smaller.

· Registered
759 Posts
To preface this comment, everyone is allowed to have an opinion, and they don’t always have to be the same. This game is a different game for every player on the field. Some players have similar outlooks, and others will be far different. i.e. milsim vs. speedsoft. There are extremes and then there’s the middle. I play at places in the middle.

I’ll be frank with you, I don’t like the idea. I lean towards the milsim end of things, and the realism of a gun plays greatly in my decisions of what I play with. For years, I only played with green gas.(rifle/pisltols and smg). So I would never want to put a shield on my rifle.

From a practical standpoint, if I understand you correctly, you want to put a 15 lb weight on the front of your DMR, to be used with iron sights. The DMR is probably 7-10 lbs. so before you spend the money building this, put a 25 lbs dumbbell in your lead hand and Stand like you’re holding the rifle, stand in that position for 1 minute…just an idea for a dry test on usability before investing.

Now that’s just my opinion. You seem to like the idea behind the shield concept. And that’s fine. If you showed up to my field with a shield, and the refs allow it, then I would be just as happy playing on the same field with you all the same. I play with speedsofters too. They don’t bother me either, but I am not a fan of the concept of the speedsoft game either. The options for playing around here are somewhat limited, so I just go with the flow.

Life’s too short to hate over disagreement. Bigger problems in the world….

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That quote should go out to the entire airsoft community.

Life's too short to hate over disagreement. Bigger problems in the world….

· Registered
25 Posts
You gotta admit, I feel its fair too carry 15 pounds rifle shield, especially if it only covers 1/5th of your body and you place it on a 5-10 pound gun, and if your gonna give yourself a disadvantage by only using iron sights and making it disrupt your vision more power too you.

· Administrator
12,626 Posts
I don't even use sights....I just walk the shots in...

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

· Administrator
12,626 Posts
Iron sights is only a disadvantage if you don't know how to use them.
Or you have enough experience where you know where your shots are going to go and one just adjusts when you are only off by a few inches.

Like Jerry Miculek (a shooting machine) that can fire a snub nose revolver inverted with his pinky and not use the sight. And still hit a man sized target at 200 yards.

Thing is, white Airsoft BBs are like tracers and that is a "benefit" in the sport and allows one to do many feint maneuvers without having to be on the irons.

I also met an old Gentleman and I will just call him Grandpa Varpness. He was an old sailor and was a very good shot with his 1911A1. I watched him in his age (78) hit a 8" paper plate (dixie) at 180 yards with a .45ACP. It happened in this manner.

Load magazine, put round in battery...stood for a moment (he was gauging wind speed)...raised pistol up and to the right, angling up and to the right...boom. About 1 second later you could see a hole in the paper target through the spotting scope. He admitted he can only do that with a 1911A1...my jaw was on the floor...this guy could snipe you in the head with a 1911A1...

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I guess in that case are iron sights are really a disadvantage? Since my eyes are training to them, (as I used them before) does it really effect my game play? Or should I use any optic?

· Administrator
12,626 Posts
Due to the flight path the aiming guides (optics or irons) only takes a snap shot of where the bb may land. This will most likely be in your zero range.

Here is an example of an Airsoft BB flight:

Eye Human body Jaw Slope Rectangle

The BB flies and lifts (magnus effect), many people play in the over lift category for getting max range and know that you have to aim low to hit high. Some play in the ideal category and limit their range, but knows that their "sights" are more true. Which you decide to do is all dependent on what you are comfortable in doing.

Me personally, I have played for years in the slightly + lift segment with .28g bbs. I just know to aim a hair low at certain ranges and if it flies high or low, I adjust. But, I am a point shooter and not a sight guy for this sport. This is mainly due to me wanting to have a large field of perception over a small scope of view through an "aiming" device.

Example:

So, when I played at Nopeming

(Not my team, FYI), while shooting at a guy down the hall, I noticed a shadow crossing by the crack of a door. Thus I stopped shooting at the guy down the hall and moved into an alcove. Kid then pops out from the door way and I engage him. My team mate that was behind me missed him because he was "focused" on the guy that was down the hall and was squinting through a 4X scope.

However, this is my play style that I have developed and learned over decades of these types of games and training events. You can absolutely use a scope/sight/irons. But, develop you abilities beyond the range of your "tools".

And when you get really good...like Jerry...knowing how to use your sights can allow you do do this:

He knows the "physics" behind his shots. He knows his enviroment...he knows to "use" his tools (sight).

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How do you think people would respond if I made it an deploy-able LMG turret with a shield? Meaning although I can't be shot at, I can't move, unless I pick it up and move it to another position. That would sound pretty balanced I think.

I'm not sure my place would let that thing in a match.

· Administrator
12,626 Posts
People...will not take kindly to you making up rules for "field" play.

A Kid could walk out and say the trench coat he is wearing is Bullet Proof Kevlar and not call any of their hits.

Like these guys...

Sleeve Leather jacket Jacket Hat Event

You need to ask permission from the field. What we think has nothing to do with it. Now if you ran your own games and explained everything to the players that showed up...that should work.

Attachments

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do know a lot of airsofters, I could organize a make-your-own rules game.

· Administrator
12,626 Posts
Then you have an opportunity to use your gun emplacement...

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been told that turrets are surprisingly useful, especially when placed in a good spot!

· Administrator
12,626 Posts
At a bottleneck sure...but if not...people just go around you beyond your range.

Or they blow you up with a Taginn Round.

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That sounds quite painful, but I would be honored to be such a threat that someone would need a grenade launcher to take me out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.