Thought I had gear figured out...but need some help

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by MasterK, Aug 10, 2012.

1. MasterK

MasterK New Member

Atlanta
    First, I'm new to any organized play. Been messing around with cheap LPEG guns in the backyard and family property for a couple years. Spare mags in pockets, regular clothes, and ski goggles. We moved to the city and I've decided to take the sport more seriously. Keep in mind I've been building up gear with the idea that if i don't take this seriously I won't be out buttloads of money, but I will most likely always use the guns. I got a Cyma AK, Deep fire M4 and KJW P226. So outside of the guns, I picked entry level stuff. This is what I've purchased so far:

2x VB Power 9.6v Butterfly batteries.
    UTG CQB Red/ Green Dot Sight

OE TECH Commando Chest Rig ( OD / Tactical Vest )
    OE Tech Tactical Duty Belt
    OE Tech Hydration carrier (OD)
    OE TECH Fast Draw Holster (OD)
    Pantac Molle Foldable Magazine Drop Pouch
    BRAVO Tac Gear Metal Mesh Half Mask
    FlackJaks
    Mechanix M-Pact Gloves - Black
    Rothco/Ultra Gear Woodland Digital BDU
    Rothco Low Profile Cap - Woodland Digital
    Trinity One Point Sling
    MAG 100rd M4 Mid Capacity AEG Magazine (8 Pack)
    Thunder AC6 Balancer/Charger

My reason for this post is that I just came in to $200 unexpectedly. I wanted to spend it on something worthwhile. I was thinking of getting a Save Phace full face mask. Or possibly a better chest rig with built in M4 mag pouches and possibility of adding molle attachments later. I dunno, what do you guys think i should do with $200

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

2. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    TheCaptain's suggestion is solid, though I wouldn't bother with that M60 pouch. A utility pouch like these would be far more functional:

http://www.shootercbgear.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_50_80_99&products_id=849

http://www.shootercbgear.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_50_80_99&products_id=851

If you want to stick to a chest rig, you can't go wrong with an RRV:

http://www.shootercbgear.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_50_51_96&products_id=712

With the foldable bib, it's one of the most versatile light weight rigs out there.

The problem you're going to run into with a chest rig with built in pouches is that the better ones are all set up for M4 mags and won't fit AK mags very well. The American made stuff (and the reproductions of the American made stuff) are all designed for use by American operators, who pretty much all use STANAG mags. I'm sure there's some sweet Russian kit out there (talk to Shifty about that), but it'll be harder to find and more costly. Go with a decent PC or the RRV and you'll be all set.

3. TheCaptainAlmighty

TheCaptainAlmighty New Member

Gallifrey
    Thanks for linking the utility pouches. They weren't showing up for me, so I just linked to the M60 pouch.

4. MasterK

MasterK New Member

Atlanta
    Thanks for the suggestions, definitely looking into them. What I'll probably do is keep the $27 OE Tech/Condor Chest rig for the AK. This will be my backup. Since those pouches are so big (LOL) they''ll easily carry at least 1 AK mag. Sorry about the jacked up URL, I'll fix it.

**EDIT: I forgot to mention, I'm a BIG guy. 5'11'' 265Lbs and broad shoulders. So whatever it is will need to accommodate size 2X on top...
    Would this one work ? http://www.shootercbgear.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_50_51_96&products_id=710

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  5. TheCaptainAlmighty

TheCaptainAlmighty New Member

Gallifrey
  6. Knief

Ann Arbor
    The RRV will fit you just fine, but the CIRAS that TheCaptain linked to would also be great. It's a bigger vest to start with, but is also very very adjustable. I'm 6' 180 and had to put my CIRAS on just about the smallest setting.

7. MasterK

MasterK New Member

Atlanta
    The CIRAS with the pouch kit seems like a no brainer considering the cost of the individual pouches. The only thing I don't like is that you can't fold down the front like it appears you can on the RRV, but not the end of the world. Will both of these work with the OE Tech hydration carrier?

8. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Actually, the RRV most likely won't work with the OE Tech hydro carrier. It doesn't have a back panel, so it doesn't have any webbing on the back for you to attach it with. You can probably rig something up with zip ties and e-tape, but it'll take some figuring out on your part. With the CIRAS, it just straps right on like any other pouch.

9. MasterK

MasterK New Member

Atlanta
    That should be been evident, appreciate both of your time. No issues with the integrity of the company I assume since you linked to it.

10. Knief

Ann Arbor
    ShooterCB has always been solid for me and I've really only seen positive reviews for it. They shipped somebody on here one wrong pouch with his order but I believe they made it right in short order. I'd feel confident ordering from them.

11. MasterK

MasterK New Member

Atlanta
    Okay, I thought I'd come back and give a small update. Before I went and ordered the Flyye gear I wanted to see how bad the Condor stuff was even vs. the Pantac pouch and belt I got. So I got the OE Tech/Condor Commando chest rig and lets just say at first I was puzzled. They fed the shoulder straps straight down instead of crossed, so I crossed them correctly. I adjusted the back strap and It fits, but just barely. I'm not convinced it will stay secure with that "Jan-Sport" style back back strap lock. I just don't see how this thing, without some modification can work effectively. I may keep it for the AK if I can find a way to "fix" it.

I decided to compare the overall quality of this Condor chest rig with that of the Pantac items. First let me say, it's NOT the quality of the cordura on the OE Tech/Condor gear that's lacking, it's the workmanship. Crappy, inadequate stitching and sub-par hardware that make this fail. The Pantac, even just seeing the pouch and the belt excels in both areas. The Cordura is thicker, higher quality yes, but more importantly, the stitching is done with more durable, thicker thread, and with more attention to detail. As well the included hardware is definitely closer to a military grade.

Now, if Flyye is an even further step above Pantac or even at the same level, I'm sure I'll be happy.

I didn't really intend this to be a review of sorts but It's clear to me now that Condor/NC Star stuff it's fine for kids or loaner gear. But if you're going to play regularly, once a month or more, it pays to get better gear. And As has been pointed out it's really not that expensive to start with an RRV and add a few pouches when you can.

12. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Pantac and FLYYE are right on par. As I understand it, they were once the same company under the name Phantom. FLYYE split off and Phantom became Pantac and we all rejoiced because we now had two different companies making high quality repro gear instead of one.