Thoughts on a first AEG for a newcomer?

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Revysion, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Revysion

Revysion New Member

Sarasota
    As the title says, I am mostly new to airsoft. I have been doing research for the past few weeks in order to get an understanding of what matters in an AEG when it comes quality, effectiveness, and the like.

When it comes to price I was looking at around 200 USD for the gun itself, I can go higher if it is worthwhile, and have already set money aside for batteries, a smart charger, magazines, and good eye pro.

I already know that the locations near me are all fields, such as Black Tiger, TAC, and Mudgrunt (if they are still running). So I know that will have a major effect on my options.

To start I will probably be using something like an M4, since there are a large number of parts for them and they are easy to find. Although I am still open to a lot of other platforms like the G36, AUG, or SIG 55x.

I already founds this:

http://www.evike.com/products/37511/

It is a bit over my intended budget but I understand that G&P is known to make good AEGs. Any thoughts on this?

2. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    The gun should fare you well. The M4/M16 is a good platform for beginner and new players. A well known fairly simple design, spare parts and accessories are incredibly easy to come by, as well as there's an abundance of information everywhere on these guns. So in short, this would make a suitable purchase as your first gun.

-mobile device-

3. Revysion

Revysion New Member

Sarasota
    I forgot that I had also looked at this one before, but was unsure on it and had completely forgotten about it since I could not find much information on the gun itself

http://www.evike.com/products/52548/

The barrel length is shorter on this, but as I understand that does not have much of an effect on accuracy. The barrel is also a 6.03 mm, but I do not know much about its actual quality. Along with this the G&P does have a deans connector, but I do not know what difference the connector makes.

4. deepwoodsairsoft

deepwoodsairsoft New Member

A deans connector generally gives you a better connection and you will have to get a battery with a deans connector on it or get an adapter for your battery or gun

5. ibob4tacoz

ibob4tacoz what am I doing Supporting Member

Buckeye
    Tamiyas only last for a certain number of connects and disconnects before eventually failing. Deans are tougher, they have less resistance, and are all around better. Either buy a deans battery, or solder a tamiya one yourself. Do not get an adapter. That just adds another point of failure for your gun.

6. theonlyBuster

S. Florida
    In addition to this, using a Deans-to-Tamiya adapter (or vice versa), you're completely negating the point and ALL the advantages of Deans. To some it's not a bad thing, but it should be stated. Though if you do decide to use Deans, it's advised you buy/make a Tamiya-to-Deans adapter in the event you need to borrow a battery from a friend.

Deans are the #1 alternative to Tamiya, so finding a battery with Deans connectors isn't too difficult to find or too badly inflated in regards to price.

-mobile device-

7. Revysion

Revysion New Member

Sarasota
    That makes sense, so when comparing the two I will count the deans connector as a definite plus towards the G&P. I am still not sure between the two, but I think with some more research I may be able to get a good idea of how the two compare. The biggest issue is that I can find so little information on the CA, but i will keep looking. Thank you all with the help so far, I appreciate it a lot.

8. theonlyBuster

S. Florida
    The CA in question is from the UAC-X series ( http://www.classicarmy.com/product/ar010m_1_x ) , but for the life of me I can't remember how it stacks up against the Proline and Sportline.

If it's a Sportline counterpart, get the G&P; if it's inline with the Proline, flip a coin. Personally I prefer G&P, but that's me being biased, as the Proline CA's are in the same tier at G&P.

-mobile device-

9. ibob4tacoz

ibob4tacoz what am I doing Supporting Member

Buckeye
    Externally, G&P should be a touch better in terms of externals, just so you know.

10. Revysion

Revysion New Member

Sarasota
    I may try contacting CA if I can and ask about it, although I would expect some bias, I can at least find out if it is meant to be in line with either their sportlines or their prolines. I may just go G&P in the end, since I have noticed a lot of preference towards them quite often.