thoughts on ics split gearbox

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by ezy001, Sep 24, 2012.

1. ezy001

ezy001 New Member

i never really knew that ics did the split gearbox,just looking for any info on it,,is good,bad,easy to work on, im not to savy on the thec side but love to try

2. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County
    My opinion is heavily biased towards the ICS split gearbox design.

Upgrading the ICS split gearbox is one of the easiest things to do. While assembling the lower, you don't have to worry about keeping everything together while trying to force the spring in the gearbox since the spring is in the upper half. When installing the spring in the upper half, you don't have to worry about the gears, ARL, or trigger popping out since those are all in the lower.

Field swaps for different power levels take under a minute when you have a spare upper gearbox, and inspecting things like gears, piston, tappet plate, and trigger contacts for wear does not require disassembly of the gearbox. Even having a spare upper with the same power spring can help get you back on the field if some common breakages like a broken tappet Plate or stripped piston sideline your AEG.

It's a little more difficult to set the AOE of the piston due to the seperate halves, but not too hard.

The versatlilty of the ICS split gearbox is one of the most innovative features ICS has and with some planning, a versitile combat AEG system can be easily put together to meet any need, from CQB to general field play and even up to Sniper Platform/DMR.

3. Psych0_S0ldier

Psych0_S0ldier New Member

Bloomington
    I agree with Sparky. The ICS split gearbox is an awesome design and IMO should be more common than it is at the moment.

4. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    The only issue I don't have one is because the ICS gearbox only fits in the ICS body :-(