Tips For Joining the Military

Discussion in 'Staging Area' started by Grin, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Grin

Grin New Member Lifetime Supporter

Irvine
    So, I noticed that many of us on this forum are either:
    A) Currently in the military
    B) Are retired military personnel
    C) Are in the process of joining
    D) Are looking to join within the next few years
    E) Simply dream of being in years down the road when they're old enough
    so I decided that this could be a good resource! Especially since it seems that there's no thread like this already.

People in categories A & B could help out people in category C figure out what they want and how to get it. Through my process with my recruiter, I've noticed that if you don't go in knowing what you want they can sometimes run circles around you and try to tap ya for a different job than what you want.

Additionally, people in categories A, B, & C could give some insight and experiences about their process(es) to get into the military and quite possibly help out the guys who can't quite join yet.

ME:
    I personally originally planned on joining the Army. I was talking to my recruiter about an 11X MOS with an Option 40 contract. This went on for awhile until I did some major re-evaluating about what I wanted and have since begun talking to the local Navy recruiter about an SO rating. I got an 86 on the practice AFQT, and am still studying to get a higher score than that on the ASVAB when I take it. As soon as summer break hits I'll start on the PSTs as well once I enter the DEP program. Recently, this has all picked up pace extremely and I find it amazing how efficient the recruiters become once they realize that you know what you want and just want help along the way.

HOPE:
    Hopefully some people see this thread, as without contribution it cannot be helpful. It's clear that many of the 14-18 year old airsofters on this forum would love to serve when they get old enough/get the chance, but just don't know where to go and how to get started. Giving out some advice and knowledge/experience would help, as I know it has helped me through my time trying to join.

Oh, and for those who don't know all the terms I used:
    11X- Infantryman, once out of AIT they'll be set out into either an 11B or 11C

MOS- Military Occupational Specialty

Option 40 contract- The contract that assures you a slot in RASP and puts you through OSUT (one station one unit) training instead of the normal system.

RASP- Ranger Assessment and Selection Program

SO Rating- Ratings are the Naval equivalent of an MOS, and SO stands for Special Warfare Operative (SEALs, essentially)

AFQT- Armed Forces Qualification Test

ASVAB- Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery

PST- Physical Standards Test

DEP- Delayed Entry Program

Any servicemen or people in general that see a mistake in my post, feel free to correct me in a post or in a pm. I'll correct it, as this is supposed to be informational and any incorrect information needs to be fixed.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  2. Coxinabox

Coxinabox New Member

I am active duty navy and just finished up a 3 year gig as a recruiter in orange county ca. I'll keep an eye on this thread and address any navy related issues that I see.

Grin, most recruiters in your area do not have a difficult time hitting goal each month. (yeah we all have quotas) what we had trouble with is filling high priority spots, ie spec war, nukes, females and reserves. And that's across all services. and it's even harder to get people in that aren't in high school.

In my experience (mine only, ymmv) the army are lazier recruiters. They can accept lower asvab scores and have more lenient policies towards criminal background, education, and tattoos. Not to say they are bad people or anything, it's just the nature of the beast. The navy and marines are next, with marines being able to accept lower test categories for a percentage of goal every month. The navy has a 50 and up rule. Air force is harder still, with fewer billets and higher level competition. And the coast guard rounds it out at the top, with mid 80s score requirements and very spots to fill.

So like I said before, if anyone has any specific concerns, please ask. I will try to be active in this thread. And if any high school grads in the orange county area are looking for a navy/mc/af recruiter,let me know,I have some good friends that are still grinding it out that will take good care of you.

3. Grin

Irvine
    I would ask you for a recruiter, but I'm quite happy with the one assigned to me once I finally went to the Navy.

Thanks for your response! The more who contribute, the more helpful this guide can become. It's also nice to see a serviceman willing to help out us "wannabes".

4. CajunAirsoft

CajunAirsoft New Member

Grin you could PM the active marine who has his experience thread going.

5. Coxinabox

Coxinabox New Member

The way the psts work now, you go do your thing, and get elevated scores. After a couple of elevated score psts, you'll be entered into a monthly draft. Socs willoughby (I think that is who it is now) and mr fuller will fight for you to get your contract. If they get you that month, you go sign your contract. If not, you go again next Monday. You'll be competing against everyone that wants a SO spot in the country.

With the 86 you got, depending on your line scores, you should qualify for every job in the navy. What your recruiter is doing is stacking the cards in his favor. That way, if you don't qualify for SO, he can be like "well that didn't work out, but we know you already qualify for all these other jobs."

I'm happy I can be helpful.

6. richman992

richman992 New Member

Rochester
    @Coxinabox: I'm going into the navy the 18th of December, any tips for boot camp? Don't do this, don't say that, etc? I'm still working on memorizing the general orders of a sentry as well as the sailors creed. Is there anything else I should know besides rank & recognition within the navy?

I'm going in as a nuke btw, not sure if that matters, or if there's any advice you could share specific to that?

Thanks!

7. Grin

Irvine
    Done.

Yeah.... Although I doubt that I'll take "no" for an answer! They'll have to either let me in or drag me out broken. ;)

8. glenlovesm4

glenlovesm4 New Member

Knoxville
    What I've done:

1) Was part of Duke study for high standardized test scores
    2) been very physically active in sports
    3) done all the reading possible on NSW

What I will be doing:

1) joining the local crossfit club
    2) studying hard so I can do well on the SO test
    3) being more active in the local red cross activities

I am a really strong swimmer, I've stalked a deer within 15 yards with a home made ghuille suit, and joining the Navy and being a SEAL has been a dream of mine since I was almost 6 years old when I first heard of them.

9. blue2014

blue2014 New Member

What sort of stuff is on the ASVAB?

10. Grin

Irvine
    Mathematics, paragraph comprehension, word knowledge, that type of stuff. Just a warning, I didn't get a calculator.

Haha my progression as "ooohhh playing army men as a kid" to "training for joining the Navy SEALs" has actually been kinda similar.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  11. glenlovesm4

glenlovesm4 New Member

Knoxville
    I know right? I was always the kid who was the soldier for Halloween. I have also shot competitively for a couple years. It was trap and skeet, but I'm looking to get into 3 gun. In an ideal situation I would like to be a medic or point man.

12. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

The military is something I can only dream of. Does anyone know where there standpoint is with food allergies? It seems most of mine should go away, although we aren't sure on peanuts. My parents although would be devastated if I enlisted in the military. My mom constantly tells me I can't enlist ( I'm guessing the fact I only watch the military channel and play with replica firearms is probably the reason for that ). Ideally I'd like to join the marines, but I don't know what I want to do in there. I'm only 13 so I guess I got some time to think about this. Thank you grin for making this thread.

Here is some back round of my family in the military.

My great grandfather ( recently died ) served in the coast gaurd during WWII on the USS HUNTER. I don't know if he saw action or not, but in ky photo album there is a picture of some soldiers with Japanese prisoners.

He was the only one who actually made it into the military. My one cousin tried to get in the marines but my aunt talked him out of it. As of now I'm sure she is regretting that decision. My other cousin ( from the same faimly ) tried to enlist in the airforce 2 years later, but the same thing happened to him. Now he is in college.

13. Grin

Irvine
    My mom had to toss one of my soldier costumes!

Kudos to you. An SF medic splinted my leg once. Dang, he was efficient.

Props to your grandpa! I can't say that I've done research on that, but I'm guessing it's a waiverable ordeal. Oh, and if you really want to, pay your mum no heed!

14. Coxinabox

Coxinabox New Member

11 general orders, sailors creed and the rest of your start guide will be the best thing for you to know. Not only does it keep rdcs off of you, but in the first 2 weeks (right after you get medically cleared) you will do a prt (passing is 1 1/2 mile in 12 minutes, 60 pushups, 60 situps each in 2 minutes) and a start guide test. Pass those and you get e2. Doesn't effect you but someone else might see this.
    And, you'll have to face the facts sooner or later, you're a nuke and people will ride you for it. On my boat, the phrase was "earn that propay, b****"

And another thing for boot camp, officer garrison caps, while khaki like a chiefs, have emblems on both sides. Chiefs only wear the anchor on one side. That will help keep you from calling a chief sir. (that's bad)

And its going to be cold. Like cold as a witchs t**. You will get sick. It's called the "crud" get your cold PAC and deal with it. When your lips nose and ears get chapped from the wind and cold, use your Chapstick on them. Don't lie about anything that you can't keep straight for the entirety of your first 3 years in the navy. Don't argue with rdcs, but stand your ground if you are right.

Most importantly, volunteer for everything. I know it goes against everything you'll hear from people at meps and maybe your recruiters. If your rdcs see that you are always the one raising your hand, always there to help, always willing to take a crap job, they will notice and they will keep it in mind.
    And make sure you have you ID and ssn card when you leave for boot camp. Your recruiter will throttle you if you don't have it.

15. glenlovesm4

glenlovesm4 New Member

Knoxville
    Heres some family background.

My grandad was in the national guard unit in Mississippi that was going to be a first responder to the Cuban missile crisis. My great grandpa fought in WW1. Multiple great aunts and uncles who served. Lastly my uncle was going to go NSW until he got a full ride in football.

16. CajunAirsoft

CajunAirsoft New Member

Background Great Great uncle in WWII, Great uncle in Korea, great Uncle in Vietnam, Great Uncle in Vietnam (POW for 3 years ) , Grandpa in Air Force.

17. jarhead88

jarhead88 New Member

new york
    good luck, enjoy the experience, it will be with you for the rest of your like. you will make friends like no other you ever had...
    Semper Fi

18. Grin

Irvine
    I'm guessing that at least some of this advice also goes to SO candidates and beyond, right? Not to say that the bare minimum for BUD/S and everything before and after is to be up for any duties that need to be done.

19. glenlovesm4

glenlovesm4 New Member

Knoxville
    What team and school is the most mountain warfare oriented? That and fresh water bodies would be far inside my specialties.

20. Grin

Irvine
    I believe that all of the Teams are trained to be able to perform any mission just as well as the others, Glen. Because it'd be bad if the Mountain Warfare Team was already deployed when they needed a mountain warfare mission done.