Tips on how to make an airsoft gun quieter

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by averageairsofter, Dec 10, 2012.

1. averageairsofter

averageairsofter New Member

Menifee
    Hey guys I'm just making this as a general thread to talk about different ways to reduce the noise on an airsoft gun. So post some tips and tricks here I'm very interested to learn people's methods of noise reduction. Alright, I will start out by posting a simple and well known one as an example, the pvc filled with foam suppresor. What you do for this one is take a pvc pipe and cut it to the desired length, and then spray paint it your color of choice(usually black). Then proceed to get any kind of foam and put it around on the edges of the mock suppresor, but make sure that you leave enough room for the bb to get through. Then wrap duct tape(or any other tape) around the flash hider of your gun until the pvc is tight around it, and then you are good. I made one of these tonight and I will do a little testing tommorow and give you guys the results. One question I do have is does anybody know a way to be able to fit some foam around an m4 gearbox? Because it seems like that would reduce a lot of noise but there doesn't seem to be enough space to be able to do that.

2. Maxuhmize

Maxuhmize New Member

OKC
    I haven't read it yet but before I do, I suggest separating it apart by steps so it's easier to read and understand.

3. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    Dynamat. Key. It can be cut thin enough, and it takes some shaving of the insides, but eventually it will work.

4. svd_sniper

svd_sniper New Member

Ho Chi Minh
    add more rubber pad ( Sorbo pad is great ) at cylinder head, shimming , AOE will minimal noise from gearbox, any room in gun filled with foam :D

5. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    From personal experience....
    Shimming and lubing your gearbox. The more anal you are about it the better the results.

Ensure your motor is properly adjusted in terms of height

Add a sorbo pad to your cylinder head. It changes the TACK TACK TACK to a THUD THUD THUD.

Build for torque (unless you're specifically going for speed). Torque gears, torque motor, but you can still use a standard M100 spring. Strain creates noise.

Add a foamed mock suppressor with at least 2 1/2" of space between the inner barrel and end of the suppressor. It will help damped the noise traveling through the barrel. Not a huge difference, but every little bit helps.

That's virtually it in a nutshell.

6. averageairsofter

averageairsofter New Member

Menifee
    Okay thanks for the tips and tricks. I have a 6 inch foamed suppresor on my gun right now, and I will do the shimming, aoe, etc. when I upgrade my gun after I get some Christmas money. I can't do the torque gears plus torque motor because I'm trying to get it to 30 rps.

7. Da-ninjabreadman

Da-ninjabreadman Member

Hutchinson
    also i might suggest foam in and around the mag well and any other openings.

8. sparta

sparta New Member

What not to do: take one of those pool "floaty" tube thingies (about 4 or 5 feet long with a hole going through the middle). Cut and stick it on the end of your gun. It makes a really loud thumping noise you can hear from a distance. My buddy did this and I could tell exactly where he was before I even seen him. And being the team sniper it helped >:)

9. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

Niceville
    Silence kit. New concave cylinder head and special piston head. Nice thud thud. And i agree with the grease and shims comment. My Kwa g36 was almost completely silent.

10. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

1. Good grease amount in GB
    2. Sorbo pad
    3. Secured everything (Screws kept in place [Don't screw the screws too tight], barrel with no wobble)
    4. Midcaps (To ensure no BB rattling in a High Cap)
    5. Correct angle of engagement
    6. Some mock silencers have been said to help with noise, but it's not guaranteed.
    7. Shimming
    8. Motor height IIRC

That's all I can think of at the moment. Other users have probably mentioned the same and more.

11. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    From experience and testing, they simply don't work as well as simply adding a sorbo pad.
    The Concave aka silent piston and piston head sets create a higher pitch noise which does sound quieter, but as science tells us, higher pitches travel further than low pitches.
    The sorbo pad create a much lower pitch, which doesn't travel as far.

This was just my personal experience with 5 different guns and 4 different silent piston and piston head sets. From what I can see, they're simply a gimmick that many people have bought into.

Forgot to add this to my original post. A high output Lipo. The quicker your gun cycles, the shorter the length of the sound the motor makes. It's essentially the difference between a errrrrrrrrrrrr-POP and er-POP
    "err" being the motor's winding sound.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  12. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

Niceville
    I would agree, but in combination, guys at my field have had great results. The leading problem we have found to create noise was improper shimming and motor height adjustment. You should see our senior techs rifle. Standing beside it you can barely hear it fire and he is at about 725fps with the 0.2g. I think he has a 170 spring. Could be a 160. The only catch is having to glue the cylinder head to itself so it will handle the vacuum of extreme torque gearboxes

13. S0m3_0n3

S0m3_0n3 New Member

I think I'm gonna call bs on this, an m170 shoots at 550 with a .2g, if it's an sp170 then 550 with a .25 which is ~600 with a .2g, second what are you talking about having to glue the cylinder head? a gearbox shouldn't create a vaccum. IIRC that's the point of porting on a PH

14. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

Niceville
    Really? And i will call bs on your statement. I would post a challenge to you and ask you to come down here and see, chrono, and be hit by this rifle. Then you can come back to the forum and make an official apology. We play at stone field in NW Florida FYI.
    And glue on the silence kits we use is to bond the piston head to itself so head that fits in the concave cylinder head isnt removed by the vacuum in between the two points. I glued one and it still failed after about 20 rounds. M6000 is what we have been using. Not sure what cylinder he has in it. All i know is it started as a CA G36c and doesn't look like one now.

15. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

Niceville
    And i was mistaken on the spring. He told me today after reading the post its a m190 spring. My bad. Said he won't sell it to me tho cause he thinks i would drop it in and use it on a few of the guys who can't call hit rotfl.

16. dylan484

dylan484 New Member

Tifton
    Just gonna throw it out there that 725fps is way to fast for any field gun. You would not be playing at any respectable field at that FPS.

17. shlunka

shlunka New Member

Raphine
    A cylinder won't create a vacuum, no matter how good the seal, because of the handy invention of cylinder port...and ported cylinder head, and because of how difficult it is to make part with loose tolerances operate at %100 air efficiency.....

18. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

Niceville
    This rifle wasn't built for a field. More like rodent control. It was used once when someone else had a weapon that was way to hot on a 500fps field. Never to be used again purring a game.

19. dylan484

dylan484 New Member

Tifton
    Okay good just making sure.

20. S0m3_0n3

S0m3_0n3 New Member

LOL, wish I could come over there, but I live 2/3 of the way across the US, still have no idea what you mean by gluing the cylinder head to prevent it from being removed by a vacuum, I still don't think a gearbox creates a vacuum when the piston moves back, maybe I'm doing something wrong

725 on an m190 is still technically impossible but spring labeling can be pretty bad. I'll put it this way, to get a .2g bb up to 725 fps requires ~4.8J, roughly an m220 I believe