TM FAMAS bucking and barrel upgrades

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Esoda, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Esoda

Esoda New Member

So I've got back into the sport recently and as my new AEG I purchased a Tokyo Marui FAMAS SV. The gun shoots pretty well stock, but I want to get a little bit more range out of it. I posted a thread a few months back and was given a couple of references on how to achieve this, but now I have a few more questions.

My first and probably easiest order of business will be changing to a TBB. I'm going to pick a G3 barrel as there is only a 3mm difference in length compared to the FAMAS. I was looking at the Matrix 6.03mm steel barrel. Has anyone had experience with these and can they let me know if they will increase the performance that well? My other question about the barrel is about what range of an FPS increase will I see going from a stock barrel to a 6.03?

Some other things I was recommended were a new hop up bucking and nub. I have a few questions about these. I was recommended a G&G green bucking with an h-nub. I did some reading around and some people were saying it isn't good to mix an h-nub with that bucking. Should I get both or just one of these?

Another question related to this is if the G&G green bucking will fit in a FAMAS hop up. Here are some pictures I found in a disassembly guide that show the hop up.
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/138/dscn1476.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/138/dscn1477.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/dscn1478k.jpg/

Here is the bucking I was suggested (http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_71_368&products_id=36022). I've watched a few installation videos, but one thing that mystifies me is where exactly that very small round piece goes even in the modern AEGs. Could anyone point out where I would place that piece in a FAMAS?

I have practically no airsmitihing experience, but I consider myself an intelligent person. Just getting to the barrel of a FAMAS is a pain, but it doesn't require opening the gearbox obviously. Do you think this is a something a novice airsmith could handle? Or should I find someone to help me out? My final question is do you think these upgrades will have a significant increase in the range/accuracy department or am I better off leaving the gun stock? Other upgrading suggestions that don't involve the gearbox are very welcome as well. Thanks in advance!

2. S0m3_0n3

S0m3_0n3 New Member

Going down your list, I've heard the matrix brand barrels are pretty bad, I just got one from someone for a whopping 1$ because it wouldn't fit in any of his outer barrels. IIRC you're much better off getting a prometheus or madbull barrel.

As for the bucking, I like the G&G green, but I would think the stock TM bucking is better, couldn't tell you about the h-nub and green combo as I've never used the h-nub. but the bucking should fit, as for that small round piece, it goes on the hop-up arm

Finally, I don't think you will see much increase in range, if any, but if you can get the barrel out of the gun, you should be able to do this. hop-up and barrels are possibly the easiest internals to upgrade.

3. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    Stock Marui hop by far is the best.
    Honestly, for the hop/barrel, I'd just get a Madbull or Prometheus 6.03 TBB.

For the GB, put in a stronger spring, piston and gears. TM shoots under 1J which is around 280fps.
    Then of course do some modifications to make the GB last.

4. Esoda

Esoda New Member

Even for their reallllly old models? I've read that the FAMAS uses an older hop up that isn't as godly as their newer ones. If I were to go for a bucking/hop-up, what would you suggest? Is a different nub a good idea as well?

5. L5132

L5132 New Member

Duluth
    The FAMAS hop unit is a rather good design, unless you do, say, an ER hop, because it can be hard to evenly apply pressure. Only issues is that the FAMAS is by far the hardest AEG to get the barrel out of. You have a ton of screws (you have to take the entire body apart to get to it) so make sure you get them back in the correct spots.

6. Esoda

Esoda New Member

Is an ER hop similar to an R Hop? If so, I feel like that's a little past my level of cleverness for teching. I suppose I could find someone around here to help me install it though.

And yeah, I've done tons of homework on dissassembling the thing, if the upgrades are worth it and I go through I should be okay with that.

7. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    E = Elongated/Extended
    It's R-hop but longer.

8. Esoda

Esoda New Member

Ah, thank you for that. Since I'm really not too confident in my skills as a tech, do you know of anyone or anywhere that would sell me a pre-installed ERhop? Or perhaps somewhere or someone I can send the parts to and have them do it?