TM FAMAS Upgrades

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by Esoda, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Esoda

Esoda New Member

Hey all

I'm a returning player, and I got a hold of an unopened TM FAMAS SV as well as a repaired TM FAMAS SV on ebay (as a possible backup/spare parts).

I was test firing my new FAMAS last weekend and I was craving a bit more in range/accuracy. I did some reading about FAMAS disassembly and upgrading and got a bit scared. From what I understand, my best options for making the gun accurate would be adding a tightbore and an r-hop. It seems most of the difficulty of dealing with the FAMAS internals lies in the v1 gearbox.

So if I have practically no airsmithing experience but consider myself a competent guy, would I have an issue with just plugging in a tightbore and r-hop? And will these two upgrades alone have a considerable increase in range/accuracy for the gun? Or should I look into putting an entirely new hop-up system for the gun?

2. tscebu

tscebu New Member

Dayton
    TM is a really high quality brand, so nice choice of gun.

Anyway, back to the point. The inner barrel is not inside the gearbox, thus rendering the fact that is a less common version meaningless. For inner barrel installation, check out this video( not mine btw):
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu7AMai0glU&list=UUbbgS2i7zDgVPz_es8Hcz7w&index=8&feature=plpp_video"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu7AMai0glU&list=UUbbgS2i7zDgVPz_es8Hcz7w&index=8&feature=plpp_video[/ame]

As to the r-hop, I would not recommend this type of upgrade to anybody but a airsoft tech. This still takes a TON of concentration and work, and I've installed r-hops more than 5 times.
    I would suggest that you buy a better hop up bucking and a better nub, too.

Here are my recommendations:

Barrel: less than $50- Madbull python version two 6.03
    more than $50- anything by Prometheus

Bucking: G&G green bucking, or a firefly, if you don't care about spending $25 on a bucking.

Nub: Echo1 makes a good H-Nub. It's really cheap at airsoftgi.com

Hope I helped!

3. Esoda

Esoda New Member

Thanks a lot that is a big help! As far as R-Hop goes, I saw on a website linked in a discussion about them that you can get a kit that comes with three different cuts to fit almost any barrel window. Isn't the cutting the toughest part, or is there something else more challenging to the installation of one?

And if I do take your advice and just install a new bucking and nub will I see just as much of an increase in accuracy as an R-hop would or would the R-hop still add the more substantial upgrade?

4. tscebu

tscebu New Member

Dayton
    In my opinion, which is a very common opinion, the hardest step to installing an r-hop would be the cutting of the barrel. This is made even harder if the the barrel is steel, such as a Prometheus. My preferred method is to use a Dremel (diamond coated edge). As to sanding down the R-hop,if you use the correct grit sandpaper, it should be easy. I use 1000 grit paper.

The R-hop adds a lot of accuracy, but where it really differs is that it adds a crazy amount of range. Currently, I use what I suggested to you, as my personal R-hop broke about a month ago, and I just got the new ones yesterday. With the G&G green and the H-nub, I get about a 3 foot spread at 300ft. With the R-hop, I got a 1.5-2 foot spread at 350ft. You can judge for yourself whether it is worth the work, and possible danger of a broken barrel, for this upgrade.

5. Esoda

Esoda New Member

So even with the set of pre-cut R-hops to most standard barrel windows I'd still have to cut the barrel?

*Jaw drop* That's insane and really awesome.
    And thanks for all your help, I hope I'm not driving you crazy with too many questions.

One more question I have is do you think with the tightbore + new bucking and nub I'll be able to get groupings similar to yours? Or should I extend the barrel length with a mock suppressor as well?

6. PistolsAndMP5s

PistolsAndMP5s New Member

Corona
    Clandestine is selling preinstalled R-Hopped Inner barrels for $100ish.
    Worth it IMO because they use Prometheus barrels which alone cost $70 and R-Hop atches are around $25 so i think its very worth it.

7. tscebu

tscebu New Member

Dayton
    The above poster's recommendation is NOT worth the money, as you can get hunterseeker5 to install the R-Hop for you for like $40, which when added to the $70 price tag of a Prometheus inner barrel is only $110. If you're about to spend $100 on a r-hop that is NOT necessary, then you might as well get it from the best for a few dollars extra. If you want a pre-installed R-Hop for cheap, go and ask "mvsrocks" on airsoftgiforum.com. He's on my team and he installs R-Hops for only $25 on any barrel that you send him. If you want, I can get in touch with him for you and work everything out.

P.S. Prommy barrels are great, but so are Madbulls, and they are aluminum (easier to cut, but still sturdy) and they are only $40 for a 6.01mm.

8. GreenListerine

GreenListerine New Member

I would love to see evidence of these 350ft shots with 12 inch groupings.

9. tscebu

tscebu New Member

Dayton
    Would you like to see a video or a picture of the target? I don't think video can be done, as I only own a DSLR and a low resolution smartphone.