TM P90 Issue

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Hanaavim, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Hanaavim

Hanaavim New Member

Otsego
    So this is my first post but I figured if i'm getting into airsoft, might as well join a community and get some advice on things when I run into them.

I purchased new Tokyo Marui FNH Licensed P90TR w/ Suppressor AEG on September 27th this year. I received it and was so excited, this was my most sought after gun, I started this sport a couple months ago with a Valken M4 AEG, love it, still use it a lot. My favorite gun is the P90 and I heard that TM is a very trusted brand.

So I splurged and ordered the dang thing from Evike. It was working great, sighted it in, got it pretty locked onto my red dot and it was working amazingly.

I did notice I started to run into a problem with the suppressor constantly getting hit about 1 to 2 shots every time I would shoot a bunch of semi shots. This is normal with suppressors and is the second time I've run into this issue, so I'm boycotting suppressors for AEG airsoft guns at this point.

This weekend however, actually just today, I was shooting my P90, pushing a target and all of a sudden, on trigger pull, nothing, no noise no bb, nothing. And I got full autoed with no return fire which was great as I called out broken gun, but these things happen.

I have no idea what the problem is but I take it it's not normal for TM products to break after less then 2 weeks of use. I have shot maybe 500 rounds through this thing when sighting it in and just shooting it. I also take care of this thing like a baby because I love this gun.

At this point I've submitted an RMA to Evike to see about getting this either repaired or replaced but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts? I am using a Matrix 7.4 PEQ Lipo 1500mAh/20c small Tamiya in it, which shouldn't be messing with the bushings but I wasn't sure seeing as how this is only my second gun.

Any advice is helpful and I can give you more information if I haven't given enough already. Love this gun and am really sad to see that a brand as prestigious as Tokyo Marui gave me issues in less than a month. I also could take it into a local shop in my area but will be charged 60 to 70 bucks I'd imagine just for labor to fix it. I also have heard that you don't want to try and open up a gearbox for a TM because you'll lose the "fairy dust" but I could be wrong about that too. Like I said, any advice or comments would be helpful, pretty new to this sport but I got about 7 other people I play with and we are loving it so far.

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Did you check you battery after your AEG stopped firing? Did you check the fuse after the AEG stopped firing?

3. Hanaavim

Hanaavim New Member

Otsego
    Battery is fine, still about 96% charge on it, works fine. As far as I can tell the fuse looked okay, nothing out of the ordinary, didn't look like a blown fuse.

4. JHat

JHat Active Member

Elk Grove
    Maybe a motor connector got loose.

Ben3721 likes this.
  5. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    It's a caged motor, it would be difficult for the motor to shake off a connector.

[​IMG]

But you could do a visual inspection. You would need to remove the "L" plate to check.

Is that Otsego, MN?

6. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    Since this is not your only gun you could open it up and check it out, there's a lot of useful videos on YouTube and the problem is likely a disconnected wire somewhere.

However, Evike does have a pretty good warranty service, and since you've only had it for two weeks I recommend you turn it in for repair/replacement.

7. Hanaavim

Hanaavim New Member

Otsego
    So I took the plate off the back and pulled the whole unit out, I refuse to go any further though as I have heard that's bad mojo with TM, like I said haven't been into airsoft long but that's the one thing everyone keeps saying.
    Upon visual inspection I don't see anything out of the ordinary, all the wires look hooked up, The trigger comes back all the way and connects to the plates. Visually everything looks fine, so at this point I think it's something inside and like I said I don't think I will go into that. I appreciate all the advice, hopefully Evike gets back to me this week as I have to wait for the RMA before I can send it in. I made this post hoping maybe someone had seen this before with the TM P90 and might have been a common issue but it sounds like I just got unlucky this time around.

@Guges Mk3 yes it is Otsego MN! I see you're from MPLS area, that's awesome!

8. Hanaavim

Hanaavim New Member

Otsego
    I could take a photo of mine to compare to that image but I think mine looks exactly the same, would need the other side view to compare connectors.

9. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    There is a good crowd that goes to Crossfire in Clearwater, MN.

10. slackinoff

slackinoff New Member

I know you said the fuse looks fine, but try replacing it. Sometimes they go but look ok. Worth a shot

Ben3721 likes this.
  11. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

Check the motor brush springs too, make sure the brushes are installed right. It may be a TM but human error is always a possibility.

As for the TM magic dust, the reason is all aftermarket parts tend to be different and not drop in, for any given part.

Or you can find a local tech he could probably figure it out in a few minutes

12. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    A "Good Experienced" tech...not many know of the V6 Mechboxes or what a TM is in reality.

An example, I was at a swap meet last July and right next to me was a "local" tech. He was saying TM's were not very good and that they were made of low grade materials and "not" metal.

An old player that was sharing my table wandered over with his MP5A4 (not even a HG model) and was trying his mags. Subtly told the guy he was talking out of his behind and had the opportunity to show this guy at the shooting range that his old TM could hollow out a twinkie of all it's cream...at 15 yards.

I have to say...this tech is now a "more experienced" tech...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    OutlawAirsoft likes this.
  13. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    That is very true. Unfortunately this sort of "experience" is a result of long term exposure to the airsoft market or concentrated exposure to the particular model in question.

Due to the amount of misinformation and useless information online, it is nearly impossible to become an "experienced" tech without the aforementioned exposure.

14. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    That tech shouldn't believed the BS that a TM being plastic and not metal was a bad AEG.

By that reasoning "all" polymer receivered AEG's would be bad too.

15. Hanaavim

Hanaavim New Member

Otsego
    Just giving you all an update. The tech local in my area is in Elk River, he's very humble and a great guy. He knows TM and I would trust him working on it. However, this thing is still under warranty from Evike so I sent it in with an RMA form. Will see what the results are, should be arriving at Evike tomorrow so will wait and see next steps. I'm really stoked to get it back eventually but my only worry about sending it in the RMA was I took the orange tip off and did NOT save it. I looked up similar issues and everyone said Evike doesn't really care they just say that in their return forms so they don't get sued or something for not requiring orange tips. Fingers crossed ya'll!

JHat and aotsukisho like this.
  16. MicroMasjien

MicroMasjien New Member

Since you already sent it back, this might not matter, but for future reference, if you don't hear any sound at all, then there is no power getting to the motor. So, step through all the places where a power-loss can happen.

1) Is the battery good? Did you confirm in another gun or with a volt meter?
    2) Is the fuse good? Did you test it with a meter, you can't always tell by just looking at it.
    3) Are the wires all connected to the motor?
    4) With the gearbox outside the "shell", visually inspect the trigger unit contact points. Check if the metal contact points actually make contact and if some part isn't slightly bent.

If all these are correct, then you should at least hear some noise from the motor getting power and trying to turn.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021