To trace or not to trace that is the question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Weaponry' started by Black Eagle, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Black Eagle

Black Eagle Active Member Supporting Member

Nottingham
    Hey,

So I've been thinking about some modification I want to do to my weapon.

At first I thought about extending my inner barrel about 6" and adding a suppressor to cover it up.

Now I'm thinking about just getting a tracer unit as I would like to play both indoors and outdoors. Tracer would be nice in low light setting at either place.

Here is where I really need the help. If I go tracer which one should I buy? Who has the best in the $100 range? I say $100 as that is about what a suppressor and barrel extension would cost. Would be nice if you could also add links for the trace unit you recommend.

As always, Thanks for your advice!

2. Black Eagle

Nottingham

3. Topshotz357

Topshotz357 Well-Known Member

Drexelhill
    Black Eagle likes this.
  4. Black Eagle

Nottingham
    I have my eye one this one for sure. Makes sense to get it so people can see what you are shooting at.

5. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Hand down the best is Tokyo Marui Units. I have some Gen 2's that are over 5 years old....still flashing away.

The AceTech one is the latest in the batches that came out 1.5 years ago. They are decent, but a few have sneaked through with bad QC in the beginning...not sure about now days though. Since you get it from Amazon...you won't have an issue with returning an immediately defective one.

link0, Black Eagle and Topshotz357 like this.
  6. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    The AceTech tracer is really popular and a lot of people recommend them.

Black Eagle likes this.
  7. Black Eagle

Nottingham
    Pulled the trigger last night and ordered the AT1000. Should be here tomorrow. Might still do the barrel upgrade with the mock suppressor too, not sure yet.

8. adas1223

adas1223 Well-Known Member

stratford
    i run this for my gbb/r's. $68. rechargable via usb with auto on. lasts (per specs, 10,000 shots)

[​IMG]

Xcortech XT301 Compact Airsoft Tracer Unit

on my Aeg's i drill 2 holes in the hopup unit for UV leds wired to a usb rechargable 9v battery. it lasts 8 hours constant on.

The laser show is pretty sweet. no optics needed lol

AK
    [​IMG]

M4

[​IMG]

less than $10 doll hairs to whip up. including the 9v rechargable

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Black Eagle likes this.
  9. Black Eagle

Nottingham
    Topshotz357 and BOA_SP3CT3R like this.
  10. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
  11. Black Eagle

Nottingham
    Thnx. With this setup I can still upgrade to a smaller inner barrel and extend out to about the end of the tracer unit to gain FPS (currently clocking 343FPS without the tracer) to hopefully get up closer to the 400PFS range.

Topshotz357 likes this.
  12. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Uh...don't do that. Tracer units cannot have a barrel inside it.

Topshotz357 and adas1223 like this.
  13. adas1223

adas1223 Well-Known Member

stratford
    you CAN, but it wont be a tracer anymore lol

14. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    I would suggest keeping it under 360 with .20g to be able to use it anywhere.
    Your current build let's you use it anywhere milsim,indoors,outdoors and still be effective.
    You could make this your milsim/outdoor gun and buy a sidearm that shoots under 360fps.
    What is your reason for wanting 400fps?
    I chose 400fps instead of 450fps for mine cuz it allowed me to use it at alot of fields and milsims.

15. Black Eagle

Nottingham
    You are both right. As long as the barrel is inside the unit will not work as a tracer. However I can replace the barrel with the original one when tracer are wanted.

I'm thinking of moving up to .25g BB's as the .2g seem to be a little on the light side. I'm looking for reach. I knew that this weapon would have limitations and I chose it so that I could use it about anywhere but I'm getting killed on the reach. So Outside I'd like to have the higher FPS so that I can reach out and touch someone. ;)

Topshotz357 likes this.
  16. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    When I mentioned the .20g I'm talking during chrono I would suggest you use .25g or .28g for your gun I use .32g in my ocaw....as for out doors I'm gonna be honest if you can I'd say buy a outdoor specific gun that's what I have and if we play outdoors I'm going to let you play a game with my ocaw....so I have my ocaw carbine for outdoors with a backup g18 and a classic army EC1 for indoors "I'll be replacing it with a new UA gun next year" the reason I suggest this is so you can be the most combat effective possible at specific fields.

17. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    I don't see the point in having two barrels, unless you optimize for the longer one and have a shorter one for indoor/short range needs.

link0, BOA_SP3CT3R, cetane and 2 others like this.
  18. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    You could always just overvolume it with short inner barrel, optimize it for heavy bbs outdoors (0.32g) at ~315’ish (fps/0.32g), and with 0.2 have it somewhere at ~350’ish (fps/0.20g)

BOA_SP3CT3R and Topshotz357 like this.
  19. Black Eagle

Nottingham
    That is the original idea. Long barrel outside, short barrel inside.

OK, I might be looking at this all wrong, I'm sure someone will enlighten me, Outside I'm looking for distance. I am thinking a heavier BB with more FPS should get me further on the field. Distance is my biggest issue on the open field.

Topshotz357 likes this.
  20. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    @link0 @Guges Mk3 @BOA_SP3CT3R
    Help this man so he can do both indoor and outdoor effectively without having to open the gun every time he switches fields.

Black Eagle likes this.