Tokyo maru guns low fos

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by wolf00, Aug 24, 2012.

1. wolf00

wolf00 New Member

*fps* (sorry typing too fast) why do they have really low fps? Would really expensive guns be a little faster, or do the springs pack alot of punch?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  2. LegacyAirsoft

LegacyAirsoft You can say I tech a little...

Massachusetts
    TM guns are made in japan, laws force them to be all plastic exterior and at ~300fps or lower. However they have some of the best and longest lasting stock guns out there.

3. wolf00

wolf00 New Member

Ah i see thanks, im glad that rule isnt enforced here that would really suck

4. Dillon831

Dillon831 New Member

Santa Cruz
    The way I see it, it's only a matter of time unfortunately.

5. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    There is no law in Japan that airsoft guns cannot be metal. I don't know where this myth started but it's completely false. TM makes a number of guns with metal receivers, including the Thompson and the SOPMOD M4. WA and KSC, both Japanese companies, also produce guns with metal slides, frames, or both. All airsoft guns in Japan must have a muzzle energy of less than 1 Joule (328 FPS with .20g bbs), but they are not required to have plastic receivers or frames.

6. pancakemix56

pancakemix56 New Member

Boston
    I purchased a TM mp5 (used) and I played one game with it.

I only had .28s but the gun shot awful with .28s

7. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

Niceville
    Hmmm, i was told that at 300fps they were considered weapons in Japan. My Marui mp5 is full metal and features the HK trademarks. I got that thing in 1998 and its still seeing action these days. Only one new pinion! stock gears are still in flawless shape. Marui mwah ha ha

8. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Whether a replica is considered a "toy" or gun depends on its output in Joules. In Japan it's 1 joule. They use joules because it's a measure of energy used, where as FPS is simply speed.

It's like they're saying you can build a a car to go ANY speed you want, BUT the motor can only produce X-amount of hose power. But at for example 50 horse power, you're only gonna get to about 30mph

Yeah, you went too heavy.

9. Kmkraft12

Kmkraft12 New Member

Gainesville
    If my calculations are correct that's 225 fps. That's to low. Even for a TM.

10. pancakemix56

pancakemix56 New Member

Boston
    Ya it was the only bbs I had at the moment.

11. gunerforWP

gunerforWP New Member

Frederick
    The laws of Japan, which is where Tm are made, don't allow for powerful airsoft guns.

12. Jrod

Jrod New Member

Sunnyvale
    Tokyo Marui are way ahead of the competition. American companies need to realize: less powerful spring, faster rof, faster trigger response, less wear and tear on the gear box.+ their precision airseal, hopups, and barrels. - this is the secret to TMs success all these years.

13. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    It is not as much companies as people who have to realize what Tokyo Marui does.

14. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    TM AEGs seem to be one of the better stock options out there, but are a bit overpriced here in the US for importation costs IIRC. They cost like $100 less in Japan. They last long because of the lack of stress. It pulls a M80 spring or something stock I heard, that plus only using a recommended 8.4v with some of the best QC in the industry make them so reliable. However, because of the cost, they're impractical in the US, since for the price of a TM AEG, one can upgrade a JG to superiority. Their GBBs however, are the best for under $250 I've seen. Mixed slate, though there's no arguing they have built the basis for the modern airsoft world with the AEG and their GBB design. TM-compatible is what makes it stand out.

15. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    Please, share with us these American companies that produce airsoft replicas.

16. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Polastar. The only one that I know of but there is one.

17. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    I enjoy bringing out this quote.

18. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    And yet people still buy them.

Why would you buy a Mercedes F-700 class if you can get a Ford Taurus for tenth of the price? Because you can. And because you probably like it. It is over-priced, but is beautiful to look at, performs great (although still a bit worse than the new Taurus), but the car is incredibly comfortable and you enjoy every moment you spend in it (and yes, it is like flying on a magic carpet). There are places where it comes in handy, just like a TM gun.

To each of their own, I'd say.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  19. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    Just to be clear, that's The War Store, the retailer, who's trying to sell you guns with a higher profit margin for them. We call that a conflict of interests, and in this case, a big one. That's great that you don't like TM, but at least make your argument without citing somebody who's business depends on people buying his inventory over the product he's slamming.

Also, very few TMs cost $400 or more to your door. I can think of the M14, which is easily the best shooter on the market, and the M4 SOPMOD, which is full metal, but ultimately a bit gimicky. In most cases, you're paying about $300 for a stock TM new.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  20. sp7549

sp7549 New Member

San Diego
    Not to threadjack, what do you think of tm's recoil shock guns?