Tokyo Marui MP5K-PDW, how do i get it apart?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Bharvs, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Bharvs

Bharvs New Member

Hanover Park
    I'm going to assume i shouldnt need to post any photos of it, So about a few years ago i acquired a Tokyo Marui MP5KPDW, it was sitting in a pawnshop and the pawnshop owner wanted 30 dollars for it, i said hell yeah, even if it doesnt work its still a cool prop for cosplay and whatnot. Anyways to my surprise the gun actually does work, the gun functions and shoots just fine however there is one big issue, it shoots multiple BBs at a time (like a tri-shot), Im inclined to believe that it's what someone told me is called the Anti reversal latch has worn out, because once the gun is dry-fried you can hear the piston/gears/whatever retracting back a bit, instead of a standard "POOF" im getting a "POOFvrrmmm" haha. So ive put the gun away for a few years and now im thinking of getting back to tinkering with it. The 2nd main issue im having with it is i cant really get the gun apart, i take the pins out and go to pull it apart but it just doesnt want to budge, im afriad if i force it that will break it, ive tried loosing some screws but that doesnt quite do the trick, im at a loss, did they make this thing with such confidence that it will never break that you cant get it apart?? no one seems to have this same gun on youtube so im afraid im at a loss. Oh and side question, are there specific Anti reversal latches for different types of gear boxes? or are they universal?

link0 likes this.
  2. Bharvs

Bharvs New Member

Hanover Park
    oh and i forgot to mention another reason i believe that latch is the issue is because if you have the gun upside down with the mag out and dry fire you can see the piston or whatever it is that loads the BBs retracting slowly.

3. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    You can find mp5k disassembly videos on youtube. The Galaxy mp5k is a TM clone and should have the same takedown procedure as the TM (I remember finding a guide for the Galaxy on youtube).

For the gearbox, you'll need to open it up (carefully, so it doesn't explode under the spring tension) and take a photo and post it here. We'll be able to help diagnose the problem from there.

4. Bharvs

Bharvs New Member

Hanover Park
    Yeah-huh, i figured the Galaxy wouldnt have the same exact build but ill see about that, Now as for the gear box im aware of the spring tenstion. theres a small latch somewhere on it that will release that tentions before i go to take it apart correct? could you refresh my memory as to where thats at? i remember seeing it was somewhere near the pistol grip.

5. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    Galaxy is a 100% clone of the TM so the exact same disassembly procedure can be followed. And now, unfortunately you cannot release the spring tension on your gun. You just need to put in a screw driver and push in/hold the spring guide tight (it will be under tension) while you slowly crack open the gearbox.

6. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    It's a V3 TM. There is no hole in back to put a screw driver. It's a stock TM spring...the explosion will be minimal.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  7. Bharvs

Bharvs New Member

Hanover Park
    so as for the gear box its just a matter of being gentle, when i have time to finally get to it I'll have to find a clear workspace and one my damn cat cant mess with me at.

8. Bharvs

Bharvs New Member

Hanover Park
    I'm actually planning on using it probably next year when ive got it working for my locations more tight courses. do you also happen to have any suggestions as to what magazines i should order for it?

9. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oceanside
    He's talking about flipping the ARL. @Bharvs , you should be able to see it from the bottom of the gearbox [where the motor goes in]... it's a little bar sticking out from the rear of the gearbox. [labeled anti-reversal latch in this pic][​IMG]

However, if you fired the gun on semi last, the spring should already be mostly decompressed.

10. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    I have a cat that used to do that...come sniffing through and steal a screw.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  11. Bharvs

Bharvs New Member

Hanover Park
    Well i wasnt actually talking about flipping the ARL (but the plan still stands to replace it as it seemed loose when i was actually able to fiddle with it without getting the gun apart through the Motor bay), i just thought there was some sort of latch you pushed on before cracking it open but yeah it should be pretty decompressed but i can charge it up and give it another test fire on semi to double check, it hasnt been fired in years now. that diagram is quite helpful, thats a TM type 3 gear box you've got there?

12. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    You are thinking about a decompression button/latch. Only a very few select models has the feature engineered in.