Tokyo Marui Thompson High Speed Build

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by DawgGamer1, Sep 5, 2012.

1. DawgGamer1

DawgGamer1 New Member

Homer
    This will be my first gun build. I am familiar with how the gearbox works and the parts inside of it. I am looking to do a high speed build, somewhere over 30 RPS and close to 350 FPS. I am looking for suggestions on parts as well as any tips on building the gun. I will probably be placing the order on Clandestine, so that is where the majority of these parts will be coming from.

My parts list is as follows:

Tokyo Mauri Thompson
    Deans connectors
    SHS High Speed Motor-Short
    SHS 13:1 Gears
    Shims
    40D Sorbo
    M100 Spring

Is a new piston, cylinder, and cylinder head necessary, or will the stock Tokyo Mauri parts be fine? And are there any parts missing?

Thanks in advance.

2. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    You will most likely need a piston. You will also need bushings. The rest is hit or miss. Most likely not with a TM. What battery are you going to be using. A mosfet soul be a good idea as well...

Some answers in quote.

3. Blades

Blades New Member

Just so you know in advance, I've got that same motor and gear set in my M4 high speed build, and with a 7.4v lipo its in the high 20s, so using a 11.1v would almost definitely put you well into the low to mid 30s. +1 for the mosfet, that's the only thing I regret not putting in my M4.

4. DawgGamer1

DawgGamer1 New Member

Homer

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  5. RCV

RCV New Member

Get a cooler motor. If you use that setup it will run really hot and not very efficient. Swap it for a JG or Lonex Red. You will need solid metal bushings because TM uses plastics. The stock piston is great. The rest will suffice for this build. Use a heavier spring and short stroke a few on the releasing end of your sector.

6. DawgGamer1

DawgGamer1 New Member

Homer
    Will I get a higher RPS using a speed motor with 16:1 gears or the balanced motor with 13:1 gears? Also should short stroking a M120 work?

7. RCV

RCV New Member

Go with the balanced and 13:1s. The m120 ss'ing is a good idea. You will need to short stroke 3 teeth depending on compression and the spring brand.

8. DawgGamer1

DawgGamer1 New Member

Homer
    Doesn't the Version 6 gearbox use special bushings, or will they take regular bushings?

9. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    Depends on the brand. IIRC TM does. However, I would check to make sure prior o purchase.

10. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

TM V6 GB's have that one stupid oval bushing, you will have to get a bushings set with the oval bushings that are required. Why did TM design it like that anyway, KS designed their V6 with regular bushings, and it works very well. Maybe they did it to enable to use either regular gears or V7 gears, depending on the orientation of the oval bushing?

11. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    the oval bushing is to prevent it from spinning. i wish the other bushings were that way to eliminate the need for gluing it down. i recommend using 14awg (with the mosfet) wiring and any neodymium torque motor.

since this is a 350fps build, do some research on DSG builds. i get low to mid 30 rps on a 7.4v 35c 2200mAH with stock JG spur + Bevel + DSG + element torque.

i prefer bearings for speed. don't forget to round off the gearbox cylinder window corners.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  12. Lefse

I actually didn't have to glue the Element 7mm bushings that I put in my KS V6 GB, seems like Element bushings fits a bit tighter than other brands, they fit so tight that they are mechanically locked in place. Oval or square bushings would be optimal for all GB versions really, but I guess it's easier and cheaper to make round bushings and round holes in the shells.

13. DawgGamer1

DawgGamer1 New Member

Homer
    Where can you find V6 bearings, I can only find bushings? And can regular bearings be used other than the oval shaped slot?

14. Lefse

Using 6mm ball bearings is asking for trouble, and won't really affect the performance much anyway, just go with good old steel bushings.

15. DawgGamer1

DawgGamer1 New Member

Homer
    I have researched DSG builds before, and I understand the concept behind it. However, I have also read that it is a challenging build, and this is my first build.

16. Lefse

I don't see the point in using DSG gears for a build doing mid 30's. You can do 40rps reliably with a regular single sector if you know what you're doing, but you really must know what you're doing. The shimming have to be spot on, perfect AOE, everything should line up perfectly and run smoothly to make it reliable. When you're going into the 40+ rps realm the build is going to be a challenge anyway.

17. DawgGamer1

DawgGamer1 New Member

Homer
    The gun came in yesterday. I chronoed it at 250 fps and 14.6 rps, but my chrono reads the fps lower than it actually is. So it probably shoots about 270 fps.

This is my updated parts list:

Short Lonex Red
    SHS 13:1 Gears
    M120
    70D Sorbo
    Mosfet
    6mm Steel Bushings

18. Lefse

What piston have you decided to use? The stock Tm piston is pretty strong, but I wouldn't trust it in a 400fps 30+rps build. I recommend an SHS 15 teeth or a Lonex Blue. With a good 11.1v li-po you should get close to 40 rps, a good li-po means one capable of delivering 30A or more continously.

19. RCV

RCV New Member

Come to think of it, you will need a piston because of short stroking. My bad. Didn't think of that. I'd go with an SHS piston with 7 or more metal teeth.

20. DawgGamer1

DawgGamer1 New Member

Homer
    Put the Deans on today. 265 fps at 15 rps.