Toy Soldier Gear Review

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by Grin, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Grin

Grin New Member Lifetime Supporter

Irvine
    Okay, so I was asked to write up a review of the products from Toy Soldier that I was able to get my hands on over the weekend at the Jericho Airsoft Expo. I’m going to do a run-down on each product I was able to inspect with numbered rankings, one being NCStar and the like quality and ten being RS gear such as Eagle Industries and London Bridge Trading, just to name two of the great companies that make the original stuff. Just for a point of reference, I would rank Flyye and Pantac at about a 7-8.5 depending on which product you are asking about. At the end of the run-down I’ll do a more detailed summary of my opinion on the company overall.

1. Replica Multicam LBT 6094A Gen 2 Slick Plate Carrier-
    a. Overall Quality- 8.5. Their quality control produced a consistent, quality product with sewing on-par with Flyye and Pantac and perhaps even a bit higher-quality in some parts
    b. Fit- 10. I’m 6’0” and about 165lb (I know, I’m skinny…) and when I tried on their slick it fit me like a glove. The slick I tried on was a medium (there is no small) but I was still able to VERY easily adjust it to my size. Note that the slick I tried on was the AOR1, but they are nigh-identical bar the pattern.
    c. Colour/Pattern-Matching- 10. As any good gear wh*** knows, Crye Precision puts out to just about anyone who is willing to spend the money for real Multicam nylon. The match the real slick was uncanny and at one point I had to look at the tag to ensure that I was still inspecting the Toy Soldier and not an LBT 6094A Slick.

2. Replica AOR2 LBT 6094A Gen 2 Slick Plate Carrier-
    a. Overall Quality- 8.5. See above
    b. Fit- 10. See above.
    c. Colour/Pattern-Matching- 10. The AOR2 featured on the Toy Soldier 6094A Slick IS 500D AOR2. I had the chance to compare it to an on-hand LBT 6094A Slick in AOR2 and there was no difference besides slightly better stitching on the LBT and the label on the inside.

3. Replica AOR1 LBT 6094A Gen 2 Slick Plate Carrier-
    a. Overall Quality- 8.5. See above.
    b. Fit- 10. See above.
    c. Colour/Pattern-Matching- 10. See above, just this time with AOR1 instead of AOR2.

4. AOR1 6094K Assult Front Panel-
    a. Overall Quality- 8. It seems to be of slightly lower quality than their full slicks, but that may just be a weird perception-based phenomenon on my end.
    b. Fit- N/A. It’s a front-plate holder for a 6094, so it doesn’t really have its own fit; it just replaces the front of any 6094.
    c. Colour/Pattern-Matching- 10. Like the AOR1 6094A Slick, it is AOR1, not a generic digital desert pattern made to somewhat replicate it.

5. Replica AOR1 2586B-MP7 Vest (Non Pouch-Set Version)-
    a. Overall Quality- 8.5. The rig is very nice if you plan on running an MP7, with built-in pouches for it. I’m not much of a fan of the lack of ability to set up the back straps in an x-pattern, but it’s not too big of a con, especially if you are wearing it with a slick.
    b. Fit- 9. I’m not giving it a 10 because it only comes in one size and the straps configuration is not customizable.
    c. Colour/Pattern-Matching- 10. Like all of their AOR or MC products, it is real.

6. Replica AOR1 6094A Vest-
    a. Overall Quality- 9.25. This may seem a bit ridiculous ranking it so close to the real LBT6094A in AOR1, but I was IMPRESSED by this thing. Honestly, it’s making me contemplate whether or not I would rather do a DG/SEAL impression rather than the Green Beret impression I’m currently working on. The plate carrier is an amazing reproduction of the LBT product, and I would recommend this product to anyone who does not want to pay 1000$ dollars for a real AOR1 LBT6094A, but wants the highest quality possible.
    b. Fit- 10. The thing fit me like it was custom-tailored for me, and I wish I had been able to just run off with it.
    c. Colour/Pattern-Matching- 10.

7. Misc. Pouches-
    a. Overall Quality- 8. They were of slightly lower build-quality compared to the plate carriers and chest rigs, but were still incredibly well-built.
    b. Fit- 10. The MOLLE/PALS straps on the pouches wove perfectly into whatever I tried, and the Velcro pouches took effort to pull off, which is always a good sign. I would still recommend dummy-cording any Velcro’d gear, just for peace of mind.
    c. Colour/Pattern-Matching- 10.

I’m sad to say that I’m not able to get an updated view on their comms systems as no one there had them to let me try them out, so for now we will keep with Knief’s perspective on that.

-edit--
    Completely forgot the summary at the end...

So, Toy Soldier is a great overall company, but with two foreseeable problems. One, their high price will drive away most of the people on this forum and, in general, in the Airsoft community. Most people don't want to pay for more than what a condor MOPC runs for, and they can live their airsoft life that way if they won't listen to us. The second major problem is that they make almost exclusively SEAL/DG-styled gear. That means that if you're trying to look like anything else, this is NOT for you most likely. Their products are high-quality and very accurate, and I personally would be more than willing to pay the price for it. I currently own their SMG mag insert and their Garmin Foretrex wrist pouch that I have mounted to my crane stock.

All in all, I give the company a 9/10 because of their high asking price and limited offering of styles.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Well I'll be darned. You weigh the same as me AND you are the same height:). Where can I find these? I need to get some AOR2 gear:p and this stuff looks promising from what you said.

EDIT: Just realized you linked them. -facepalm-

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

3. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    The bolded text is hyperlinked to http://www.toysoldier.com.hk/ .

EDIT: Just realized you realized he linked them.

4. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Double facepalm? XD Yupp.

5. Grin

Irvine
    The major downside to Toy Soldier gear is the price and that they make almost exclusively Navy SEAL-styled gear. But if you're okay with both of those stipulations, it is an excellent brand. I know that if I switch over from a Green Beret impression to a DG/SEAL impression I'll be picking up some AOR1, AOR2, and MAYBE some Multicam. But probably not. You can get into contact with the owner on Facebook at Kevin Toysoldier if you have any stocking inquiries or just want to speak to someone who makes the stuff.

--edit--
    Y'all both fail xD

6. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    Excellent write up. Did you get a chance to handle any of their cammies and compare them to their Crye counterparts? Or was it nylon only.

7. Grin

Irvine
    Unfortunately, I didn't get a hold of anything besides Natural Gear patterned cammies... The pattern was horrid (I just dislike the pattern, it was accurate), but the quality of the shirt was great.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  8. nraw

nraw New Member

Gothenburg
    Would you like to compare your TS stuff to some actual real LBT AOR1. I have several pouches in AOR1, some being TS, some being USTS and one being LBT and they all look a bit off from eachoter, on the other note, so does some of the real gear makers. What I'm asking is; are there new generations of AOR1 out, what are the differences if so? I found a number of ACE (Anchor, Constituion, Eagle) on my 500D TS AOR1. That seems odd since this is genrally just found in the NWUII garments. Is it so brand spanking new that the generation has yet to hit the "surplus market" or is it a material cloned off of the NWUII-pattern?

I'd really like to see some LBT AOR1 DOM June-Aug 2012 so it can be compared.

I realize nobody may have naswers to any of these questions, but I'd like to share my concern.

9. Grin

Irvine
    If you wouldn't mind waiting a few hours, I can address your questions then.

--edit--
    Okay, here we go.
    Would you like to compare your TS stuff to some actual real LBT AOR1.- Unfortunately, I don't own any real LBT AOR1 equipment myself, nor do I own any TS AOR1. I was simply able to evaluate equipment on-hand.

I have several pouches in AOR1, some being TS, some being USTS and one being LBT and they all look a bit off from eachoter, on the other note, so does some of the real gear makers. What I'm asking is; are there new generations of AOR1 out, what are the differences if so?- Pretty much any production batch of any pattern or colour is going to look different, and this seems to have happened even more than usual with AOR1/2. Practically every piece of nylon I get my hands onto looks a bit different unless it's of the same batch.

I found a number of ACE (Anchor, Constituion, Eagle) on my 500D TS AOR1. That seems odd since this is genrally just found in the NWUII garments. Is it so brand spanking new that the generation has yet to hit the "surplus market" or is it a material cloned off of the NWUII-pattern?- Oddly enough, this is not the first time that I have heard of this phenomenon. Either you got a TS pouch before he Kevin started using real AOR1 and was using NWU Type II, or you got one of those freak-of-nature AOR1 pouches with the ACE integrated.

I'd really like to see some LBT AOR1 DOM June-Aug 2012 so it can be compared.
    - See my first answer, unfortunately.

On another note, I found a source for brand-spanking new 6094UW-M's in MASS Grey.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  10. Grin

Irvine
    I love the smell of necroposts in the morning. You know, one time we had a thread bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dead thread. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like *sniff* victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

On an actually related note, I have a teaser for things to come in the near future.

image-2537273517.jpg

11. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    Great side by side. That TMC is just so orange.

12. Grin

Irvine
    It took longer than expected, but here we go... Blame family members hijacking my house.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENi5vKwqu34[/ame]