TriadAirsoft's First "Semi" Build! Need some "Pro" Help!

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by TriadAirsoft, Nov 16, 2012.

1. TriadAirsoft

TriadAirsoft New Member

Winston-Salem
    Hey whats up guys! I was curious about some upgrading with a gun I plan on purchasing! Now what I was wondering: what are some simple upgrades that I can do to a brand new gun that doesn't involve doing any wire cutting or anything in that category! Things that I'm talking about are things such as a simple barrel change or Spring change. Now if you guys would be so nice, that you could list some companies and parts I could look for to make the gun last longer, or run better!

Thanks a ton!
    TriadAirsoft
    Edit: Oh and my gun will be a SOCOM GEAR M4, which has VFC internals :). Also, I play CQB so keep that in mind!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  2. GreenListerine

GreenListerine New Member

If you are getting the SOCOM gear, just a simple spring change, sorbo and AoE, and basic DIY will be fine if you don't want to really mess with anything...

3. TriadAirsoft

TriadAirsoft New Member

Winston-Salem
    Thanks for the info! I'm not getting a lot of the sentence though. What is Sorbo, AoE, and DIY? Sorry I'm pretty new to gun building, and is their any company I should get this stuff from?

4. Col1500

Col1500 New Member

Kent
    Sorbo and AoE go together, AoE = Angle of Engagement, you want the pickup tooth on the sector gear to engage the pickup tooth on the piston at 12 o'clock. You generally need to grind the 2nd tooth and part of the 3rd tooth off your piston. You use Sorbo glued to the piston head to get your piston in the right position.

Here's a sticky on it:
    http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f10/adjusting-aoe-23129/

You can buy sorbo here:
    http://clandestineairsoft.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_18&products_id=41

DIY would probably be regreasing and maybe reshimming if you want to get rid of the auto-shims.

5. TriadAirsoft

TriadAirsoft New Member

Winston-Salem
    Okay so I have a few questions... Where would I put the sorbo, and how would I take the Auto Shimming off of the gears? Would I have to buy a new gear set of can I just take the Auto Shimming off? Thanks again for all the feedback!

6. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    Basically, you can purchase kind of 'airsoft ready' sorbo pads, which then you glue to the cylinder head after removing the stock damper. That'll push your pistons resting position a little back to allow the sector gears first tooth to engage at a much better angle with the pistons first tooth. Giving you more durability as it absorbs shock, while increasing the life of the piston. I don't own a VFC yet (plan to soon) so I wouldn't really know for sure, but can you not just take the little springs off the shafts?

7. TriadAirsoft

TriadAirsoft New Member

Winston-Salem
    Thanks for the clarification! Any other upgrades from anybody that would be easy to replace and would maybe increase accuracy, and possibly RoF??