True or False

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by SSGSPEEDMAN, Sep 27, 2012.

1. SSGSPEEDMAN

SSGSPEEDMAN New Member

Is it true or false,
    That the length of ur barrel effects ur hopup.

2. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    False.

My turn.

True or false, "ur" is an acceptable substitute for "your" or "you're" on this forum? Corollary: True or False, texting abbreviations in general are allowed on this forum?

3. SSGSPEEDMAN

SSGSPEEDMAN New Member

Why is it false? Well excuse me "your".

4. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    Hopup adjusts how much spin will me put on the bb that will travel down the barrel.
    A longer barrel will help you to a point in an AEG by giving it a slight accuracy upgrade but after a certain length it will do more harm than good. In a gas/polarstar type, the longer barrel will actually make a difference by changing fps as well as accuracy but again to a point and then it will do harm.

I believe I worded that correctly but please knife, fix it if I did not

5. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    the length of the barrel is not adjustable. therefore it does not affect hopup adjustments.

i'm not sure what the purpose of your question is. hopup creates backspin. if you have a bent barrel or one that is worn out, then yes, it will affect consistency, but not really backspin.

i've read somewhere about curved barrels, but that doesn't sound too affective.

6. Whiplashairsoft1

Whiplashairsoft1 New Member

42 Wallaby Way
    OP, did you mean to say, “Does the length of your barrel affect your gun’s accuracy and effective range?”

That’s what it sounds like to me…

7. SSGSPEEDMAN

SSGSPEEDMAN New Member

Well say my hpa kc02 stock length barrel is 300mm and I put 6.03 650mm the hopup wouldnt be effected?

8. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime New Member

Satellite Beach
    That is so ridiculously vauge it's not even stylish.

9. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    No.. Barrel lengh doesn't effect the hop-up. The hop up is still going to work the same no matter what barrel lenght you put in your gun.

10. SSGSPEEDMAN

SSGSPEEDMAN New Member

Ok thankyou that's the answer I wanted to know instead of people making rude comments.

11. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    let's just say, there's a reason why hopups have adjusters. changing the bucking will alter hopup. weather condition alter's hopup. bb weight alters hopup. barrel length is insignficant because hopup's are adjustable. in theory, if your barrel is 20 feet long, then it will affect your hopup. bb speed will drop, which affects backspin.

when ever you replace a barrel, you are adding another variable, the bucking. are you re-using the bucking? or putting in a new bucking? normally, you need to turn off your hopup to remove the bucking. therefore, you automatically alter your hopup settings just by removing the barrel.

12. SSGSPEEDMAN

SSGSPEEDMAN New Member

Well I'm having made from RA Tech 650mm 6.03, and cnc guy here in NC to make me outer barrel. I'm wanting it to be full length barrel not add suppressor.
    I'm already hitting 300ft with 510mm 6.01, so I'm wondering what the results will be with this new barrel.

13. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    i'm going to assume 400fps using .40g (550 with .20g)
    if you use .20 or .25g the fps will drop
    if you use .40 or heavier the fps may increase a bit (from 400fps, not 550fps), but the bore size may negate that so you may not see any significant difference.
    heavier bb's require more hopup pressure. you will see an improvement by using either a flathop or r-hop mod.

you do realize you can get the same performance from a carbine length barrel? but i'm going to assume you are going for looks.

note:
    heavier bbs take longer to accelerate inside the barrel (lighter bbs require shorter barrels).
    bore size affects leakage around the bb (tighter bore gives a little increase in fps)
    unstable barrels will cause inaccurate shots (gearbox vibration and bb bouncing inside barrel).
    hopup mods will reduce the speed bump which reduces bb energy loss, gives better/smoother backspin which results in increased range.
    barrel length and cylinder volume matching is important for efficiency.

14. SSGSPEEDMAN

SSGSPEEDMAN New Member

Unfortunately I can't do any flat or R-hop on the barrel because of the opened end of the barrel where the bucking goes on. I hate how I can't use aeg buckings. Actually fps with .25s can be adjusted on the regulator, from 480-610 fps.
    my vid shooting 300ft is on YouTube. Search hpa kc02 I'm only one on YouTube with one.

15. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    hpa kc02 <--- some how i missed that. this is important info that should have been included in the original post.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  16. SSGSPEEDMAN

SSGSPEEDMAN New Member

;) hee hee guess I should said that oops.

17. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    I* guess I should have* said that.

Seriously, clean up the grammar or you're going to find your posts disappearing on you.

18. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    SSGSPEEDMAN

I thought that you can CNC stuffs?
    I don't see why ER-hop will be any issue for you then.
    Or is it too expensive for you?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012