Trusted the local tech, ended up with cracked gearbox

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by JaphetPH, Sep 3, 2021.

1. JaphetPH

JaphetPH New Member

Tagum City
    New to airsoft just a background to why I ended up here - I play in South East asia - there are no set fields per se, as a result, no set rules, no fps limits. for some reason, everybody is shooting hot - 500+ fps at least. The E&C m4 I got stock was already at 430 fps somehow I got talked into doing more. shs 18:1 gears, guarder bore up kit, sp150 spring, shs hi torque 11.1 lipo.

tech didnt believe in radiusing, red flag was a smashed piston head. replaced it with aluminum piston head with no sorbo padding - v2 gearbox cracked after around 20k ish rounds.

got my hand on a lonex gearbox and I dont want it to happen again. realistically what do I need to do to have this thing last? lower springs? Lonex gearboxes are supposedly ok-ish - what can these handle and still remain intact? as of right now, I'm not stuck on the idea of ridiculous FPS, I just wanna play and not have to worry about it.

2. ma_airsoft

ma_airsoft Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Radius the shell Definitely
    Maybe add sorbothane if still concerned
    Maybe add a shock transfer system since they arent that expensive. Really no downside to being on the safer side.

I dont think i would go any higher than a 150 on a full stroke, not saying you cant but thats gonna be shooting very hot to the point where other components are heavily stress (like that piston head) and id personally rather have faster cycles than higher fps

I accidentally put a cut sp170 in a gun once and was shooting like 2 and a half joules and have not seen a broken lonex shell in my own tech experience.

hawkchief likes this.

3. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    If your tech believes SHS are upgrade parts. He is not a good tech.

SHS parts come off the same like as stock A&K parts. SHS items are not upgrades in most cases and you should have left your E&C stock.

M150 is high for a lonex box on full stroke in the cold, but in the heat of the Philippines it should be okay....thing is NO Stock AEG part is made to last a long time on a M140+ in Asia. So...if you would like to run your gun for say, 80K rounds...go M130. 140K, go M120.

Leave it at the M130 level for around ~440fps. You AEG will lst 6 times longer over one with a M150 in it.

Not all AEG's can use a shock transfer system, receivers are made differently over the days when STS was invented. Can you even get a STS system in the Philippines?

4. JaphetPH

JaphetPH New Member

Tagum City
    Had it on order - not that expensive - Using a lonex hop up so it should fit.. worth a try. was supposedly a dmr build - me not knowing any better didnt really help so lesson learned. Didnt really know how hop ups worked then - I thought FPS = RANGE. harder spring = MOAR FPS.... dumb thing is, the places we play (dense jungle, urban settings) never really needed all that range and most of the time groupings were like feet apart.

5. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Another issue you may encounter is variances in parts and their fitment.

Unlike 17 years ago when the defacto standard was "TM Compatible", today there is absolutely no standard.

Thus each region will have a slight "dialect":

Japan/Hong Kong
    Taiwan
    EU
    China

Each with a potential nuance that may cause operational issues.

6. JaphetPH

JaphetPH New Member

Tagum City
    yeah found that out when I tested a different barrel and hopup- feeding issues, nozzle just wouldnt seal. unfortunately I think there's just one tech I know here so I'm trying to learn to work on it myself.

7. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

Honestly a PROPER radius where there aren't any thin spots left and a Sorbo will basically prevent any cracking assuming the shell is half decent metal. Some shells like the older g&g, echo 1 and aps are literally like glass. I've worked on dozens of aegs over the years with various springs in them, all have been radiused and none of them have been reported back to me cracked.

TLDR Radius and Sorbo and never worry about it happening again.

JaphetPH likes this.