Trying to form a loadout could use some help

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by spect, Dec 20, 2012.

1. spect

spect Member

Cedar Rapids
    Im looking at getting into airsoft and im trying to figure out what gear i'll need for a low price. My budget for everything is around $300 excluding the price for camo which i'll have to pick up at a local military surplus store. I'm looking for suggestions and advice on the things ive listed.

Safety/tactical gear:
    I already have a full face mask so i dont need to worry about that.
    I'm planning on getting some v-tac gloves for $8.95
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=11106
    For the vest im thinking of getting a lancer tactical m4 chest rig for $38.70.
    Only problem is that it says it only has 6 mag slots so I dont know if your able to double stack them. http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=11726
    Do many people use shemaghs when playing? I might get one of those if you guys suggest it.

Battery/charger/bbs
    The games I'm planning on attending last for the majority of the day so I picked out 2 tenergy 1600mah batteries. $40
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=7734
    For a charger I thought I would get a Tenergy smart charger for $15.
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=8478
    Then for bbs I thought I would get several bags of elite force .20 gram bbs.$30 Im playing in the forest so I dont know if heavier bbs would be a better choice. http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=9707

Gun/mags
    My field says your allowed 1 hicap or unlimited mid caps. I'm assuming that 1 hicap doesnt last long so i planning on getting some midcaps.
    I saw a box of 10 king arms mid caps for $61.
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=5320

Finally for the gun which I'm still trying to decide on. I'm trying to decide whether to get an Ics sportline m4 or the jg enhanced m4. I like the ics since it has a split gearbox design and I can get some extra gearbox parts for $2. Only bad thing is i heard that ics has some proprietary parts which can make some things difficult. Also the jg m4 looks good based upon the reviews. Im trying to find out which gun has the best internals/performs the best since both guns cost about the same.

Jg m4 enhanced: $150
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=139_24_166&products_id=3432

Ics sportline m4: $145
    http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=32928
    spare gearbox parts: $2
    http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=40482

2. Havok17

Havok17 New Member

Chicago
    If you are willing to spend a but more money on quality gear check out Flyye and Pantac vests. Both are good quality for a good price. You can find them on ShooterCBgear or eHobbyasia.

3. iTunesTomato

iTunesTomato New Member

Oakland
    I could type out what I know knief is about to post.. so many things to correct :rolleyes: but why waste all the time, no one will notice me in his shadow

So..
    Inb4smash

4. fireteamdelta

fireteamdelta New Member

mo
    for bbs a .23 gram would probably work best

5. bal1

bal1 New Member

What parts did you hear were propriety,I have two ics sportsline m4 both take upgrades easily. The only proprietary part is gear box shell because it's split, and that's half the reason alot of people love ics.

6. rblevinski

rblevinski New Member Supporting Member

Philadelphia
    I would focus the most on the gun now. Until you have a decent gun that your satisfied with I would not get all of the other things except maybe a vest and BDU's.

7. McGee

McGee New Member

San Francisco
    Safety / Tac

Cheap tac vest will do fine. It holds stacked mags - not that you'll need that many, but it helps for storing other things you'll get later, like a radio or Thunder B. (put a water bottle in one of them!)

Sure you can look exactly like a 'real guy' by spending more, but are you interested in airsoft for the cosplay effect, or for the game aspect?

Your budget allows a cheap vest. (buy used, seriously). But that vest actually looks fine. It won't be super-high quality, but you'll probably use it for a long time.

Charger / BB

Get .25 BB, I recommend higher quality ammo. Airsoft GI sells G&G Bio which are great - they don't jam in mid-caps like other BB do (Bi-ovals lol) and are pretty consistent. Very happy with them.

You really shouldn't shoot so much, so don't worry about saving $5 - $10 on a bag of BB, because you'll end up shooting crap through your mags and barrel. It's better to use high quality fuel and oil in a old crappy car, right? Same with airsoft guns.

You should get a charger that automatically shuts off when it's done charging. Don't get a LIPO no matter what anyone says. Trust me. Don't get a lipo. Get two batteries.

Guns / Mags

I don't know about the guns you've listed. I know a lot of people use JG. I'm sure it's fine, especially for your budget. Just don't fall on it! I recommend JG over ICS because it will probably be easier to re-sell. If you turn out to really like airsoft, you'll buy another gun.

As long as the JG can take those magazines, GO FOR IT! You're WAY better off getting mid-caps. I'd suggest getting standards (60-70 rounds for an M4) because they'll last even longer. You don't need to shoot that many rounds. Take aim instead. Starting off with a mid-cap habit is going to make you a better player. Good for you.

These are my opinions, but I'm writing for you based on what you've written and what I assume (you want to play the game, you don't have experience, you have a limited budget).

Don't get too caught up in the gear - I think your list is totally fine. Just get it and GO TO GAMES. So easy to bicker and nit-pick about gear color, gearbox strength, blah blah - it's all BS if you don't play.

Get the gear, get to a game and find a group of guys who aren't idiots and PROVIDE COVER FIRE FOR THEM, tell them what you see, and watch their flanks and rear. You'll get SO MUCH MORE out of airsoft if you do this than you will if you worry about the right gear.

8. Havok17

Havok17 New Member

Chicago
    Alright theres a couple of problems here. The vest isn't going to last "a long time" as you said it would. Next, gear color is quite important. Black doesn't blend into anything. And gearbox strength is important too. What if it breaks then it is clearly quite important. Also, Lipos are good if you know what your doing and your gun is tuned properly.

9. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    *sigh*

I'm not doing this again today.

http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f37/good-package-66688/

iTunesTomato,

Take it away, brother.

[edit] Also

I loled.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  10. The_Black_Knight

The_Black_Knight New Member

I'm gonna throw my two cents in here.
    Buying a cheap vest (Condor/Oe Tech) Is a terrible idea. I started with one, and after about a year of ownership, and light use (I used it four or five times), the stitching started to come loose. Not to the point of falling apart, but I had to trim loose threads, I ended up selling the vest, just not worth using a vest that's falling apart on you, right?

Right now, I use a Load Bearing Vest I got for $15 at a surplus store, it works, and it's in pretty good condition, if threads came loose on it, I would understand, as it's used, but on a brand new vest, I have a major beef with that.

11. iTunesTomato

iTunesTomato New Member

Oakland
    I was at school all day but here I go:

I guess I'll start at the top of the list.
    It's funny because you remind me a little of myself about 4 years ago.

-First off, the gloves are.. Acceptable. But I'd recommend something better or nothing at all, cheap gloves will usually be fairly uncomfortable and the hands as they are just sewn to look nice on the outside and the seems on the inside will be very irritating, definitely don't something you want on the most important part of you in airsoft, your hands. For just barely more you could get a much higher quality pair of gloves

-Now the chest rig.. oh the chest rig.. Listen, there are so many things wrong with it I'm just going to cut to the chase and not bother explaining it all. Don't get it. First off you can even see that the quality is horrid, I mean the thing looks like a Halloween costume. You'd, and I say this with complete honesty, would be better off without any vest. And hell, keeping mags in your pockets are easier to draw than those slow double mag pouches. And I'm very serious, that thing will last you maybe four days of play before things start breaking. Think about it thins way: Knief's plate carrier alone (No pouches) costs almost as much as your whole budget, how could anything go for a tenth of that with pouches and not be total garbage? I realize I may sound a bit harsh but all these products are put out there as easy ways to, essentially, scam kids who are new to this sport and I'm just trying to save you and everyone else on here who reads this. You'd be much better off with something like this: http://www.ebairsoft.com/6094-style-plate-carrier-pouches-p-6316.html
    Now I realize that its quite a bit more but when that Lancer breaks and you have to then buy this, this way you'll save time and 40 bucks. Plus, besides higher quality, it is much more versatile! :D

-Let me let you in on a little something most experienced airsofters have learned: Never buy batteries from airsoft stores. You can always find equal and often times better batteries at hobby stores like Hobbyking.com,Hobby-partz.com, etc. for a ton less.The charger, though, seems fairly priced.
    The BB's are really your choice, look for a good deal, though. .25 will be more accurate than .20, however.

-King Arms Mid-caps are pretty notoriously crap, and you really don't need 10, give me a minute and I'll link an option that will work much better

-I'd go with the ICS but JG guns are quite nice too. Really can't go wrong there

Now, I realize this all will bring you over your budget, but really its pretty simple, just don't get it all at once. Save up. It will be so worth it in the end and you'll be a lot happier.
    If you'd like me to elaborate on anything or you have questions please, just ask. I know I typed out that wall of text like a robot, but I am actually human. I'm really just here to help you.

12. spect

spect Member

Cedar Rapids
    Thanks for all the responses.
    For the chest rig I'll keep an eye on my state airsoft forum and see if someone tries to sell a good quality one. Also for the batteries I was looking on hobbyking and I only saw lipos in stock that would work for an m4. I tried looking on some other sites for an 8.4v nimh but didnt have much look :(.

13. iTunesTomato

iTunesTomato New Member

Oakland
    Why an 8.4v? A 9.6 would do you much better

14. shootemsteve

shootemsteve New Member

bristol
    If your playing in woods i would go get some woodland camo. For the gun i would choose the ics m4. normally .25 gram bbs are better for woods play. If you have a facemask dont buy a shemagh. That is what i would do, and if you have a local store i would check it out.

15. shootemsteve

shootemsteve New Member

bristol
    Also the kwa mid-caps are awesome for the price

16. spect

spect Member

Cedar Rapids
    I found a gens ace 1600 mah 8.4v batteries for $12. They didnt have any 9.6v batteries though. Only problem is that they have a banana plug so I would have to change it to a small connector. Do you normally change the connectors when you find cheaper batteries, or do you find some already with small connectors?

17. iTunesTomato

iTunesTomato New Member

Oakland
    Completely ignore what that guy said about KWA Midcaps. He has no idea what he's talking about. KWA Midcaps are made to work in KWA's almost proprietary (They're just that damn picky) magwell.
    MAG brand midcaps are great and can be found for just under $60 for 8, which is all you need