Tsd sd97

Discussion in 'Sniper Rifles' started by J-Snipez, Oct 11, 2012.

1. J-Snipez

J-Snipez New Member

Decatur
    Does anyone have this gun or know anything about it; Issues, power, Or anything else? I've been eying this rifle for a while thinking about whether I should get it.

2. echo21bravo

echo21bravo New Member

I don't own this gun. I did little research on it and asked my local sniper tech what are the internals...he said they are l96 internals. So you have a plethora of possible upgrades you can put into it. With it having 90 degree sears you won't need to get a different trigger box.....yet.
    I would say upgrade to a metal spring guid and piston. Then upgrade the cylinder and air nozzle. Put a spring in it that will be within the regulations of your field. After all that is done put the Laylax zero trigger system into it and you should be set for a long time.

3. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    L96 internals does not mean squat, just so you know. There are two major types of internals: APS-2 and VSR compatible.

4. echo21bravo

echo21bravo New Member

You know what I mean. Any internal party you can put into an l96 you can put into the sd97

5. Sophomore

Sophomore New Member

East Bay Area
    A newb would definitely not know what you mean. By saying "l96 internals" you could be talking about a Maruzen/clone, TM, or JG/AGM. All three have "L96 internals" but are completely different.

6. echo21bravo

echo21bravo New Member

Ok. I was just trying to help the guy out.

7. Fyzix

Fyzix Fyzzy Was Here. Supporting Member

Garland
    From what I hear, it's an okish replica. I know from experience (Not with this particular replica) that the trigger boxes/sears are usually the first to go. First thing I'd do is replace those. The go on to the piston, spring, barrel, etc.

8. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    Turns out you did not. Next time, do not make claims you cannot prove right.

9. DRAGON64

DRAGON64 New Member

I have owned (past tense) the TSD SD97, and for the most part loved it. It came stock with an aluminum piston and rail guide installed, and it also came with a pot metal trigger box, and far better material than the plastic box, but still not the best. My example shot very hot with .2g ammo; generaly in the high 500 to low 600 fps range.

What I really liked about the rifle; It shot hot, it had better internals than the WELL or UTG L96 rifles, the internals were APS-2 upgradeable. The best part, was the fully adjustable butt stock: cheek rest, shoulder grip were all easily adjusted for maximum comfort. Also, the SD97 was a nice releif from all of the L96 variants running around.

I paid $169 shipped from Pyramyd Air (coupon code etc) and that was not bad at all.

I can post my pics and videos later, right now I am at work, and I am not allowed to visit youtube or photobucket... or you can just search "xx DRAGON xx" on youtube and browse my channel for them.

10. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero New Member

The TSD SD97 is a UTG L96 with a better spring i believe. I could be wrong.

Anyways the APS-2 platform in it works. Its trigger will break though. I have seen it with them. They put an upgraded spring in them and a spring guide but not better sears. So the trigger will still eventually start slam firing if not replaced or upgraded.

Other then that when fully upgraded it will perform the same as an upgraded UTG L96. Or any one of the many WELL variants.

Out of the box it shoots a bit faster then a UTG L96 because of that upgraded spring. The issue with it is that the stock hop and bucking is not that great. So it ends up still being just as inaccurate.

Any ways in the end either upgrade or dont buy a sniper. Snipers have to be upgraded or they are not worth buying. After buying your looking into atleast 200+ to make it fieldable.

11. DRAGON64

DRAGON64 New Member

Bare with me, talking about the SD97 and looking over my old photo albums of this rifle is making me want to get another one...

Here is the first chrony test I did with the SD97 I bought from Pyramyd Air:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ZMuvD6Zsw&feature=plcp[/ame]

The trigger box is metal:

[​IMG]

Here is the piston & spring quide that came with my 97:

[​IMG]

The orange tip just unscrewed pretty as you please...

[​IMG]

I modified the cheek rest by replacing the adjustment screw with a shoulder screw...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the looks of this rifle:

[​IMG]

The stock was beautiful, but a little creaky. Here is the rifle next to a WELL MB01... Incedently, WELL also has a rebrand of this rifle called the MB05... all plastic piston and trigger box.

[​IMG]

12. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero New Member

Actually its the other way around i believe as far as the rebrand goes. I think SD takes the well one and installs better parts. Its something we cant confirm though. So why argue. In any event i thought the SD97 was an L96 for some reason lol.

Which are not as good as this one that has been shown.

13. DRAGON64

DRAGON64 New Member

You are correct, WELL had the rifle first, then TSD. Not sure who WELL copied. As I remember it, WELL also offered a cheaper variant of this rifle, the MB04, which did not have the adjustable shoulder stock... thanks for catching that.

14. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero New Member

The reason i assumed WELL had made it first is generally TSD says on there description "with an upgraded blah blah blah" so i just assumed they grab a gun from anywhere and slap some upgrades in it. Then re package and say its theres.

15. DRAGON64

DRAGON64 New Member

This is probably not far from the truth... I'm glad that TSD took the initiative to install better components in the SD97 rifle... definitely sets their clones apart from the rest.

16. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero New Member

Except when a sear gets stripped in 45 shots...

17. DRAGON64

DRAGON64 New Member

Do you have specific info on this to add? Please provide references to such issues, as I have not heard of this happening ever, so please fill us in.

18. J-Snipez

J-Snipez New Member

Decatur
    Thanks for the help, I recently bought it after reviewing my responses to this thread, and with a few upgrades it works wonderfully.