turning pellet gun into a airsoft gun?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by plasticnoob, Jul 24, 2015.

1. plasticnoob

plasticnoob Active Member

hidden city
    Hey guys so I have this old crossman 357 revolver that shoots bb's/pellets on co2.

[​IMG]

I hate to throw it away because it cost $45 still.. The barrel moves around so it can come out, my idea was to drill the barrel hole bigger to accept a 6mm bb madbull barrel for 1911 size barrels. Then the revolver clips? drill those out to accept a bb to fit in perfectly.
    I am in the process of buying a new barrel anyways for my 1911 so I could use my OLD barrel from my handgun and go from there.
    Could this be done? There would be NO hop up. is this a major problem?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/86...l-177-caliber-black-polymer-grips-blue-barrel
    it shoots 435 fps, but I wonder if there is a way to lower this? other wise im going throw a scope on top and long range it with .40's lol

2. mikejosephman

mikejosephman Moderator Alligator Staff Member Moderator

Medieval England
    it shoots a metal pellet at 435, so you're probably looking at over 500 with plastic.

I tried something similar with a daisy powerline. didn't work, because you have to bore out
    everything to fit .25 cal which is quite a bit more than .177.

but hey, worth a shot man. good luck to ya.

3. ThePinballWiz

ThePinballWiz Member

Buffalo
    I'd say no. Maybe with a lot of notifications you could get a bb to come out the end but for really no point because with no hop up there will be no range and accuracy. That is also a pretty crappy gun and you could just buy an actual airsoft revolver for about $100

4. plasticnoob

hidden city

Yeah revolvers are cool I kinda want to get one, but not interested in it right now, other things I rather have. I thought about this project because it would be very cheap. Okay thanks guys anyways, maybe I can sell it for a few bucks to someone.

5. osawaab

osawaab Active Member Supporting Member

Charlotte and or A galaxy far, far away
    No, dont do that, just dont. Its not safe, and discussion of this is not allowed on this forum for that reason.

6. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

I don't remember the "no conversion rule"... While this is a bad idea I'm pretty sure it obeys forum rules?

7. osawaab

osawaab Active Member Supporting Member

Charlotte and or A galaxy far, far away
    Well i can never find the rules on this forum..... however I remember past instances of these threads getting shut down due to talking about airguns which are prohibited by the rules. Ill ask a mod about it tho

8. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

I think that thread was talking about shooting someone with an airgun, or just airguns in general. This one's more along the lines of "nerf to airsoft".

9. Topper

Topper Resident Donkey Supporting Member

New Orleans
    Umm. No? Nerf to Airsoft would mean you're taking a toy and making it a toy. This is taking a (potentially) lethal or maiming device and turning it into a toy. It's not quite the same.

10. BlackNightBravo

BlackNightBravo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Airsoft is potentially lethal. As is a pellet gun. Hell, a "real steel" firearm is only "potentially lethal".

11. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

"Maiming device"

Yeah, no. My friends and I used to shoot these at eachother when we were younger. They hurt like hell but take about 45 shots to even begin to kill a pigeon.

I guess if you're talking about it's pigeon-maiming capabilities it might be dangerous.

12. Topper

Topper Resident Donkey Supporting Member

New Orleans
    If you want to get technical, anything is potentially lethal. There's still a huge difference between a .28 gram plastic projectile at 350 FPS than a .117 caliber metal projectile at 500 FPS. But that's not what I'm talking about. If it has the power to shoot a heavier metal projectile ate speeds that some Airsoft sniper rifles shoot at, what is it going to hit with .25's as a sidearm? It's not safe.

13. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

If you drill out the chamber and barrel, it'll probably be shooting at 350 or so.

14. BlackNightBravo

BlackNightBravo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You guys aren't accounting for the larger volume of the wider chamber. As monocle said, your FPS will lower significantly. That said, I recommend you do not attempt this simply because you'll probably end up ruining it, haha.

15. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

Most definitely. It'll have 10ft. Of range but it definitely wont hurt anyone.

16. Patriot76

Patriot76 Active Member

I've never seen it attempted, and unless you have a lot of teching experience I wouldn't risk it. Anyways ASG is releasing their Dan Wesson 715 pretty soon, it's supposed to be field legal so you could look into it...

17. plasticnoob

hidden city
    Nice! All the guns I saw where 400 Fps on co2 and can't figure why no one made a field gun.

Asg any good? Never heard of them, going buy one if its in 4< inch or less

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  18. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Pierce County

I have seen it attempted, and the performance was not worth the effort required.

No hop up, too powerful (even after restricting the valve further), inaccurate, and no usable range.

It wasn't even worthy of plinking as the shots would fly wildly just 5' from the muzzle.

There are ways to bring the Wingun/Dan Wesson revolvers to field acceptable limits in this thread:

http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f8/wingun-revolver-mod-72080/

And, for the record, the rules to the forum are in the Forum Support and Announcement sub-forum:

http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f4/announcement-rules-regulations.html

While there is no specific rule against discussing these conversions, most are closed because there are specific instructions or suggestions provided to the OP to do the wildly unsafe and potentially dangerous modification or the OP is unwilling to look at the other options presented to them.

There are suitable options presented to the OP in this thread so I'll leave this one alone.

For now.

19. Patriot76

Patriot76 Active Member

Also I apologize for not throwing this out there earlier [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LY8ZZKzRPWI[/ame] the tip hurts my soul but other than that it looks pretty solid. Check it out!

20. Dannyboyextreme

Dannyboyextreme Active Member

Burbank
    I am also potentially lethal! No not really... Any, Topic related, its only $45 and who says you need thr throw it away? hang it up and keep it for collection reasons.