Two L96's, Which would I get the better performance out of after upgrades?

Discussion in 'Sniper Rifles' started by BlueReaper46, Nov 2, 2012.

1. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

So I am torn between two different L96's:

Tokyo Marui Full Metal MK96 Bolt Action Sniper Rifle Airsoft Gun ( BLK )
    I like this one because of the placement of the magazine, I also have a parts list for it. I do not know if I would be able to get an aftermarket barrel, or any hop-up upgrades, which is why I am not sure if I want to get it, as I want maximum performance.

UTG Full Metal MK96 Bolt Action Sniper Rifle Airsoft Gun ( BLK )
    I like this one because I know I can get an upgraded hop-up and use AEG barrels, but I do not like the mag placement.

I have done research and both builds would cost me around the same. I would prefer to get the TM, but if I can get the UTG to shoot farther I would get that. Which would give me better performance? Would they give roughly the same performance? Would it come down to DIY mods, and fine tuning the hop-up?

Thank you.

2. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    TM is more realistic and better feeling. I would pick that personally. The UTG needs exstensive upgrades to compare to a factory TM.

3. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    Awe yeah, finally getting it done, huh. Good stuff.

Well as far as range and accuracy goes the TM will have the UTG beat out of the box, but I'm sure either way you would be swapping out the stock hopups with aftermarket ones. As for aftermarket parts, the TM uses L96 AWS which are based off of the VSR parts. And the UTG uses APS2 parts. Now the question is what's better? VSR based AWS or APS2?

A lot of people that have worked with both will say they like APS2 parts more then VSR (basically the L96 uses VSR parts, except some parts are different) but one of the reasons VSR type guns are so popular is because the parts are easy to work with and usually more available.

So ask yourself what suites you more.

If I was picking though, I would pick up the TM because of both the mag placement and the TM quality.

4. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

I am planning on swapping everything I can out with after market, but I can not find a barrel nor can I find an after market hop-up, and I dont know what would be compatible.

5. TYSONtheSNIPER

Edmonton
    Well I can't really help you out with that, but if you haven't already look around Airsoft Sniper Forum. I'm sure you can get a definite answer from people there.

6. shlunka

shlunka New Member

Raphine
    Honestly if you're doing a complete overhaul on the gun the UTG would be a better choice, but IMO the TM will be a blajillion times better out of the box.

7. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    Yea, if you are swapping out all of the internals anyway, you might as well just get the UTG because its cheaper.

Also, you could try buying a used sniper rifle, they sell pretty cheap and you can find a lot with extra magazines. Since you are upgrading it anyway, might as well get a used body or something, you know?

8. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    Um....no....TM AWS isn't exactly VSR....it uses its own parts......

UTG vs TM?
    UTG.

Why not TM?
    Stupid overly complicated feeding system.
    If anything in that breaks, have fun.

9. TYSONtheSNIPER

Edmonton
    I didn't say exactly. But its based off of the VSR platform.

10. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    "VSR based AWS or APS2?"

11. TYSONtheSNIPER

Edmonton
    Maybe I worded it wrong, but both are similar. I didn't however say that they are the same.

12. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    EH
    "VSR based AWS or APS2? "

It's still wrong either way.
    UTG L96 is APS not APS-2

13. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero New Member

If you were even thinking of getting a higher grade L96 why wouldnt you get the maruzen... Since that is what the UTG is based off of i believe. Could be wrong though.

14. DRAGON64

DRAGON64 New Member

Tokyo Marui has the best oem hop-up on the market. I have owned the L96 AWS, albeit stock, it was the straightest shooting rifle I have ever owned. There are theories as to why you cannot find hop-up replacement parts; one being that the rifle came out at a time when the market is flooded with L96 variants, mostly Chinese copies of the Marusen, that interest fell off, so why develope much more aftermarket support. Another theory is... it was made so well the first time, that there is nothing more to add. Did I mention that the hop-up adjustment has much easier access than the UTG...

I have owned both the UTG and the TM L96 AWS, and I still prefer the TM. The UTG is a Chinese clone with a nicer shipping box than the WELL or TSD variants... it has more aftermarket support, because it needs everyone of those parts for it be even close to as accurate as a TM oem release. However, the TM model had a real 'creaky' stock, as the main skins were thin, so the body flexed real easy on the aluminum frame.

As EDI pointed out below, the complicated loading system also led to the TM L96 AWS lack in popularity. The tab or fin that guides the bb through the track was known to break. If you decide to get the TM, then practice some control, and don't "**** your bolt"

This was a plus for me, the lines of the UTG are incomplete due to the lack of correct magazine placement... This does not make it a bad platform, just an ugly one.

Agreed, the TM loading blade is made from plastic, and will break. Many of the parts are proprietary, so you cannot get VSR-10 replacements on the after-market. However, aftermarket trigger assemblies, pistons, springs, spring guides etc are available. There are many other support products over seas as well.

Airsoft Atlanta carries nearly every aftermarket part for the TM L96 AWS:

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/Tokyo-Marui-L96-AWS-airsoft-parts-s/270.htm

Back to the original posters inquiry... go with what you like, I believe you have researched everything, and know all to well what you face if you decide on either platform. I enjoyed my Tokyo Marui L96 AWS, as it would shoot where you pointed it. Simply put, it can draw the straightest line on the field. It had a max FPS of 269 to 280 fps in stock configuration, so maximum effective range was about 120 feet... I also liked how easy the bolt cycled, which incidently drove me to getting the G&G G96, but that is another story... Good luck to you sir.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glOClsRsFYg&feature=plcp[/ame]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  15. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

Thank you all very much, I believe I will go with the UTG to avoid problems with loading. I am putting together a parts list now, and will post it here to hopefully get some feedback. Does anyone know what length barrel I will need, and do you have one you would recommend?

16. DRAGON64

DRAGON64 New Member

Still, not a bad choice, as there is plenty of support all the way around for the UTG platform... You could even fake in a magazine to complete a look if you wanted... that would be the last mod I would ever consider... too easy to screw it and really ruin the looks. Good luck, and happy building.

17. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    There are reasons why "2J30M" prefer APS and APS-2 rifles over everything else.

Also, TM AWS stock trigger is doom to break.

18. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

Alright, here is my current parts list, along with a few items which I am not entirely sure what to look for, or what would be the best(note these are just the parts, and I may purchase them from a different place then is linked to):

PDI Hop Up Chamber for Maruzen Type 96

PDI Trigger Sear for Type 96

PDI Type 96 Piston Sear

Laylax PSS2 Teflon Cylinder for APS2 / Type 96

Laylax Type 96 Smooth Spring Guide (7mm & 9mm)

Laylax Type 96 Cylinder Head

I am using this as a general guide to what to upgrade and what order to do it in:
    http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/showthread.php?t=1159

I need some more things, but I do not have time to find them right now, and between Laylax and Action Army Zero Triggers, which would be the better choice? Also, if someone could recommend a barrel and bucking that would be helpful.

19. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    Action Army.
    They are a Taiwanese company that started to clone Laylax parts.
    They are pretty much the same thing but one is cheaper.

Prometheus 6.03 TBB and Purple bucking.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  20. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

what length for the barrel? A prometheus purple bucking?

would choosing action army over laylax give me the same performance for cheaper(depending on part)?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012