Types of BB Material

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by jrichter, Aug 23, 2012.

1. jrichter

jrichter New Member

1) I'm wondering if Glass and Aluminum bbs can be used in a spring airsoft sniper (ex 500-600 FPS[.2g] A&K Dragunov w/DIY upgrades and tightbore barrel) for target practice. There are Madbull .28g Glass bbs (which I've never heard of until today) that claim to have superior polish, smooth surfaces and dead on accuracy, as well as .29g Aluminum bbs sold by various manufacturers (that are indeed 6mm). Would these bbs bring significant improvements in terms of accuracy if fired for target practice when compared to normal plastic bbs?

2) Also, as sort of a side question, my friend claims that soap-washing bbs before firing improves performance, although does this not remove the slick polish on the surface of the bbs?

2. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    DO NOT USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN PLASTIC! Everything else is too dangerous.

3. jrichter

jrichter New Member

Oh yeah I don't mean to shoot anybody with these bbs. I was just wondering what kind of performance they would have if I used them for target practice.

4. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    Why practice with BB's that you arn't going to be using in a game ? Practice with the Weight and brand BB you will be using in game this way you know how the BB performs.

As far as washing the BB's some people claim it helps others don't. It's a mixed opinion topic and the only way you will find out if it works is to try it yourself. Just use a small batch of BB's incase you arn't happy with the results.

Lastly im going to agree with shifty. Never use anything but plastic BB's. This goes along with my above post.

5. Kmkraft12

Kmkraft12 New Member

Gainesville
    The same reason you shoot bullets that you will never kill anyone with. It's for fun.

6. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    Theres a difference... But anyways Airsoft guns arn't designed to shoot metal or glass so don't be surprised if something breaks. But hey, It's your gun not mine so do whatever you want.

7. Kmkraft12

Kmkraft12 New Member

Gainesville
    Not really. I hate when people say there is a difference without explaining.

8. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

There is a difference. A .40 bullet at the range is the same as a .40 at a home invader, just a different situation. You don't swap the bullet material on a real gun for target practice, why do it with airsoft?

9. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    There is a difference. You actually get your airsoft guns to shoot people at. So why train with one type of ammo and actually shoot during events with a different one?

10. richman992

richman992 New Member

Rochester
    I hate to ask a stupid question, but why can't you use aluminum bbs if they are the right size and weight? I can understand glass bbs being more dangerous because they could shatter, but I'd think aluminum would be safe. And I don't understand how the material of the bb would matter as far as using them in a gun. Could someone explain this to me a little further?

11. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    Because they get deformed and cause more damage. Just like hollow points. Of course the crap about the bbs shattering in your gun is complete horse feathers.

12. Kmkraft12

Kmkraft12 New Member

Gainesville
    Because a airsoft gun won't shoot very far with light BB's, and you can't target shoot in your backyard. It's like having a BB gun with the upgrade ability of a airsoft gun.

13. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    I am not sure you understand what you meant by that, KM.

14. RyantheChimp

RyantheChimp New Member

Twin Cities
    How about you just use plastic....

15. richman992

richman992 New Member

Rochester
    Ok, thanks shifty, that's pretty much exactly what I wanted to know. It sounds like its easier and more efficient to just use plastic.

16. Kmkraft12

Kmkraft12 New Member

Gainesville
    I meant with a RS rifle.

17. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

You can target shoot with real steel in your backyard. All depends on where you live.

18. jrichter

jrichter New Member

I understand that you use plastic to shoot people with and this post has nothing to do with me trying to shoot another person with glass or metal...that's probably illegal. There are still two questions that I have:
    1) I still don't quite understand how the BBs would damage the gun or inner barrel if polished and crafted in the same way. And of course please don't take me as ignorant because I really don't quite understand.
    2) Is there a performance difference that is noticeable? It would be nice if someone could explain in theory or perhaps through personal experience. I know for sure that glass is variable (depends on the build strength of Madbull .28's) and that aluminum bbs are surely more destructive, but am not quite certain on the noticeable increase with the accuracy aspect. The only reason why I'm asking is because I'm interested in how they purposely make these 6mm to fit in airsoft guns for the primary purpose of target practice, and not however, made for BB or pellet guns.

19. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    Performance wise, the ammo would make little to no difference if you use correct weight.

20. kmarksman

kmarksman New Member

I understand that you use plastic to shoot people with and this post has nothing to do with me trying to shoot another person with glass or metal...that's probably illegal. There are still two questions that I have:
    1) I still don't quite understand how the BBs would damage the gun or inner barrel if polished and crafted in the same way. And of course please don't take me as ignorant because I really don't quite understand.
    2) Is there a performance difference that is noticeable? It would be nice if someone could explain in theory or perhaps through personal experience. I know for sure that glass is variable (depends on the build strength of Madbull .28's) and that aluminum bbs are surely more destructive, but am not quite certain on the noticeable increase with the accuracy aspect. The only reason why I'm asking is because I'm interested in how they purposely make these 6mm to fit in airsoft guns for the primary purpose of target practice, and not however, made for BB or pellet guns.