Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Staging Area' started by Fyzix, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Fyzix

Fyzix Fyzzy Was Here. Supporting Member

Garland
    Just installed Ubuntu on my laptop and I'm absolutely loving it. 9001 times better than Windows in every way. The only pick I have is that it doesn't work with a few programs, but Linux has programs to make up for those... So it's not really a big deal.

I just figured since there wasn't an Ubuntu thread, I might as well make one. Cuz I know I'm not the only Ubuntu user here...

So. Questions, complaints, comments, and etc about Ubuntu go HERE.

2. Retrospection

Retrospection Member

Kimballton
    I have an ubuntu laptop...

3. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    I tried to run ubuntu on an old computer from 1998, not enough ram haha. I had to resort to using puppy lunux :(

4. Retrospection

Retrospection Member

Kimballton
    Nice. Just for giggles I plan on making my crappy hp mini a multi boot. I own a copy of windows 7, ubuntu, and mac osx lion. I also plan on throwing in windows 95, xp, and vista. So every time it starts up I got a huge list of operating systems I get to choose from, and if my adding math is right ill have one fory every day of the week.

5. echo1 vmg-74

echo1 vmg-74 Active Member

Richmond
    I like OpenSUSE, too bad I cant play my games with Linux though, WINE doesnt work to well (like all emulators, most of the time)

6. Munishin

Munishin Well-Known Member

Goodyear
    I used ubuntu for about 2 weeks before giving up and resorting to purchasing Windows 7. I just couldn't stand having to read up on how to get certain games to work. But, I here they're getting steam now so that's cool and just my luck.

7. Fyzix

Garland
    Lol, nice, Note. I'm thoroughly in love. I went over to Windows to transfer my music to Ubuntu... Took 5 minutes. Switched back to Ubuntu, had everything downloaded in about a minute.

8. Fyzix

Garland
    Ok. Double post! Has anyone tried playing browser based games such as BFP4F, AVA, and/or Combat Arms on Ubuntu?

9. team16airsoft

team16airsoft New Member

im going to get to the point, no sadly you cannot, these games are programmed for windows and mac. Many online companies do not like the open source world and don't program for those operating system(s). As for linux i run the BackTrack 5 R2 and upgrading to R3 soon on my laptop. Its great for what i prefer to do on my computer.

10. Nelson

Nelson Review Guru Supporting Member

Spokane
    Thread revival! I run Backtrack 5 R2 in VMware for when I do penetration and exploit tests (all 100% legal tests administered with permission for helping people who build websites etc.). I love Backtrack. If I didn't already have windows 7 I would be running Backtrack regularly. It's a white hats friend ;)