Umarex HK MP5

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by chip.mcbride, Aug 27, 2021.

1. chip.mcbride

chip.mcbride New Member

...and now it shoots through the flannel sheet I had lining the box...guess its a tad more ooomph as well...I will chrono it and see...BBs flying through the box, hitting the wall and bouncing across the wood floors...cats love it....wife, not so much.

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Motor is not responsible for that...most likely the repeated hits to the sheet weakened the spot and now bbs are getting through.

Just reinforce the impact point with duct tape...

3. chip.mcbride

chip.mcbride New Member

Never fired that many, that fast into the same spot....it is fun. The advice was much appreciated. Big grins when I'm playing around with it.

4. modularvideo

modularvideo Active Member

Los Angeles
    I have a circa-2006 Umarex H&K MP5A5 also. Probably needs some new stuff inside. Spring, motor? What's easy to do for a noob and most bang-for-the-buck, pardon the pun?

5. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    Probably not spring, but a new motor would help and be super easy. Guges can hook you up with a snappy Tienly.

modularvideo likes this.
  6. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Thanks, man! I've never opened up a gun before. I guess I can find a YouTube video or something. Does the MP5 need a long or short motor? Also, once the motor is installed, would you advise I stay at 8.4V max?

7. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Umarex didn't have the H&K License back then. It would be a UTG Model for that era.

8. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    I always rewire my guns for 11.1v lipos, but that is just me. You can probably run 9.6v without any problems.

It's not the voltage itself that is going to hurt your gun (except in the rare case of contact arcing), it's the increased rate of fire that puts extra stress on the internal components.

modularvideo likes this.
  9. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    And you can use an old trick for us guys that had arcing issues in the mid 2000's. Dielectric grease. No more burnt contacts...

modularvideo likes this.
  10. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Nice! I have some dielectric grease!

11. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    I must have the dates wrong. It's definitely an Umarex H&K. I had the box up until just a few weeks ago. What year did Umarex obtain the license?

12. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    About 2012...

modularvideo likes this.
  13. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Ha! 2012! Boy does my memory fade. I picked up that Umarex MP5 at Evike's old location. I remember having to file the pot-metal cantilevered scope-mount to fit the rails. Need to replace it with a better red-dot anyway.

Anywho, while we're on topic, who's currently regarded as making the best goddamned MP5A5 AEG on the planet (besides Tokyo Marui)?

wetpee likes this.
  14. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    No one makes the MP5A5 currently due to Umarex enforcing their license for Airsoft.

Thus only the "cheap" ones are being made in off areas of Asia for sale.

modularvideo likes this.
  15. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    How would you rate the circa-2012 Umarex MP5 I have? Do you recall any details of the internals of that vintage? It's a full-metal MP5 and I think I paid about $350.

Also, what do you think of the current $499 Umarex Elite Force HK416, available from their US site? Overpriced? Who is the OEM? I'm guessing the Umarex/KWA HK417 sold at WGCshop is the better gun (and a better price)?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  16. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    On scale of 1-5, about 3.3

They didn't look for quality in manufacturing in that thing (unlike ASG). They went purely for the lowest cost maker at the time.

modularvideo likes this.
  17. TsukiKanade

TsukiKanade New Member

Not Guges but I can answer this one. The Elite Force HK416 being sold is made by VFC. For what you're getting, you're definitely paying for the HK branding and externals. Beautiful externals imo, but mediocre internals. Most people who buy it gut it anyway, so you're paying a bunch for a pretty shell.

wetpee and modularvideo like this.
  18. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Thanks, Tsuki! I think I'll hold off on getting anything from Umarex US and just save up to buy a KWA HK417 from an overseas seller; i.e., I plan to combine all of my Hong Kong purchases into a single transaction to minimize shipping costs. Will probably get the KWA HK417 and a Tokyo Marui NGRS rifle and some pistols in a few months (I'm actually no longer interested in getting another MP5).

wetpee likes this.
  19. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Just so that you know (american consumerism does not apply, again) that these things are made in batches...here today gone tomorrow. It is rare that everything will be "in stock" at one time, especially at a future date.

20. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Yeah, I'm actually waiting for WGC to get the Tokyo Marui M4A1 SOCOM NGRS back in stock (should I decide to go that way). The pistol I want, the Tokyo Marui HK45 Tactical pistol is in stock, but I don't want to pay $70 shipping for just one gun.