Ump-45 upgrades

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by Hartman96, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Hartman96

Hartman96 Active Member

Woodville
    Im back, after 2 years I'm opening up the gearbox, and i have no idea what i'm doing haha!

I got a ump-45 in a trade, i have no idea what the brand is, its not g&g or tm i know that much. A lot of new after market parts are on the scene that weren't before.

I am going to have to rewire it to put a peq on it and and going to have to repair the stock, but i want to turn it into a 350 fps 11.1v lipo bb spitting monster. I have a medium budget.

I want a to put a madbull tbb in it.
    Madbull buckings and I'm thinking ics gears but i am not certain.

What are y'alls thought?

2. ma_airsoft

ma_airsoft Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My guess is that it is the elite force version (Umarex?)
    Check YouTube for disassembly

3. Hartman96

Hartman96 Active Member

Woodville
    Ah, my good man, i do believe you misunderstand me. Gearbox and replica disassembly are not the problems i am faced with.

I do not know what parts i need (e.g. Nozzle, spring, cylinder, spring guide, motor, ect...) brand wise, as i have been out of the game so long. What brands are quility, have the old quality brands reduced in quality such as ics, madbull, promethius?

4. slappomatt

slappomatt Member

Lakeside
    necro post. tried seaching and I found lots of empty threads like this one. Also going to open up my UMP 45 comp. umarex version. I have replaced the spring guide with a good BB one, I have a ASG boost 16tpa motor to put in it, going to shim the gears and flat hop it. probably add a metal threaded outer barrel so I can run a tracer unit on it. What mosfet would be recommended for one of these? I'm not against spending for a nice gate but I dont think they will fit as the GB has a factory micro sw? would like to increase ROF but nothing crazy. 25-30 would be plenty. stock is kinda wimpy.

5. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    BB spring guide is not always "good" nor is it needed.

Due to the microswitch your FET options are limited. I know some Gate units that plug inline do not work with micro-switches.

ROF can be increased via motor speed, battery voltage or both.

Example this AEG hits 25rps only with motor swap on a 2S LIPO. Start at 2:00 mark.

6. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member

Bull Shoals
    But it's very unlikely to be a downgrade, and he already has it. A good setup will be able to pull a spaced spring.
    Or gear ratio, electrical resistance, fine tuning.

With the ASG 16tpa, a good 3s LiPo, good electrical resistance, standard 18:1 gears and perfect fine tuning you can get 30 RPS. But I'd expect more like 25-26. Gate has some microswitch compatible mosfets that eliminate contact bouncing(where a microswitch isn't always making full contact because of the gearbox vibration)

7. slappomatt

slappomatt Member

Lakeside
    Thanks for the info. My amoeba with a torque motor and 3s gets right around 25. I'm not looking for crazy roof but would like decent rate since it's obviously not a long range build

8. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    25 is decent. o_O
    Torque motors are good for trigger response but you might have to change gears or something if you want more than that. I had a stock jg black motor (horrible) that was pulling an m120 at about 23 rps with a 3s. That was after mosfet and rewire and reshim but still..

9. slappomatt

slappomatt Member

Lakeside
    I'll see how my attempt at shimming goes, don't really see the point of mega rof other than bragging rights. 25 is already pretty fast for game play I would think

10. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Yeah, i agree. i prefer to conserve ammo and make shots that count. Honestly if you are having trouble hitting something with 15 rps, then you will at 40 rps unless youre just trying to send a wall of innacurate bbs down range which in my opinion isnt very rewarding when you actually hit the person.

link0 likes this.
  11. antizombie

antizombie Well-Known Member

Schofield
    I never use full auto, but having a gun that can sound like a very fast power tool is oh so satisfying in its own right.

fred_ditto, link0 and BOA_SP3CT3R like this.
  12. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Oh...can I reemphasize on the point that my test AEG is hitting 25 on a "2S" LIPO.

antizombie likes this.
  13. slappomatt

slappomatt Member

Lakeside
    Yeah that's pretty good on 2s. Mine went from 21ish to 25 going from 9.6 to 12.6

14. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    That magic variable that people leave out is the Motors Native RPM.

I don't really find any use on buying a motor based on "TPA" when you don't know what the RPM is. For a guideline, sure...for a be all to end all variable...I find it rather "not" helpful.

That is like buying a car with a certain motor but you don't know the top speed.

Case in Point 1991 GM 4.1L Small Block V8 - Top Speed, 64mph. Sold in Cadillac Eldorados
    Same motor at the time. Honda 1.8L I4 - Top Speed 118mph.

In the AEG Motor World that would be like a Lonex A1, under no load it's a 39K motor. Under an AEG load of say a M120. It is a 30K motor...big drop, and that is at 12V!

While another motor maker under load is the how they mark their RPM at and it's at 8V...

So much left out that would change the performance field...

15. slappomatt

slappomatt Member

Lakeside
    Wonder if and when brushless will be more mainstream

16. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    I dont buy for rpm though. Airsoft is meant to be somewhat realistic and pretty much every motor out there can hit realistic RPS.
    Even making a "torque" build, its hard to keep your rps low. In my experience, ive had more trouble keeping rps low enough to be feasible.
    In most cases people shouldnt try to build towards rps, because you can build in any other direction and will still likely hit your target rps unless youre making what i call a raspberry gun.
    i.e. - :eek: *:pPBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBT:p

Lefse likes this.
  17. antizombie

antizombie Well-Known Member

Schofield
    When he was saying RPM he meant the motors revolutions per minute not the guns rpm with said motor. Most manaufactures don't give the motors rpm statistics just the TPA of thr armature normally.

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  18. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Doesnt that translate into rps though? Its like horsepower in a truck. Trucks dont need speed, they need torque/power to pull. idk

19. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member

Bull Shoals
    It's a Rocket/SHS, correct? Then it's not really a torque motor but a Balanced one.
    [Approximately]
    <10TPA=ridiculous speed
    10-14TPA=high speed
    15-18=balanced
    19~24=high torque
    >25=frankentorque
    That's because it has a 13-14tpa motor. You could get 50 RPS on a 2s, just depends on gear ratio, motor TPA, etc.
    TPA is a much more consistent way of knowing approximately how a motor will perform, along with magnet strength. While this isn't the best example, Hunterseeker5's RPS calculator uses motor TPA and is very accurate. Zardichar's uses motor RPM and is often inaccurate.
    They will. The airsoft ones currently available aren't much better than a good brushed motor, but more will come out eventually. Gate Electronics has hinted that they're working on one.
    Not really, I had a setup with 13:1 gears and a 32tpa frankentorque that had excellent trigger response @~18 RPS.
    Depends on gear ratio, battery voltage etc.

20. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Sounds like a dream :)
    but again, thats an extreme trigger response build and even then you were still getting 18rps which isnt horribly low and is fine for realism. What im saying is that rps is practically never a problem and people need to stop worrying about it because it practically solves itself. Unless youre building a raspberry.

link0 likes this.