Ump's

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by airsoftpeople504, Aug 26, 2012.

1. airsoftpeople504

airsoftpeople504 New Member

Hey guys, I was looking for a good quality electric UMP $100-$200. Any suggestions?

2. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    The Umerex UMP is like $165 or something. It's not that great but the only other option is the DE M85. The G&G UMG is around $300.

3. airsoftpeople504

airsoftpeople504 New Member

Alright I'll check those other ones out. I saw the umarex one and yeah, it looked kinda cheap

4. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    It is. The DE is probably worse... Although I've heard some people say its great.

Edit: now that I thing about it, you might be able to find a used G&G UMG for under $200.

5. Jrod

Jrod New Member

Sunnyvale
    There's always the echo1 sob.

6. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County
    Which is neither a UMP nor under $200...

In the UMP field, there are:

Ares/Star UMP: Discontinued (IIRC), proprietary magazines. Had the coolest low caps with fake bullets showing. Trademarks unknown.

G&G UMG: 1st generation had feeding issues with low caps. 2nd gen fixed them. Solid gun, huge upgrade potential, beautiful polymer body (best of them all, IMHO). No trademarks

CA UMC: Possibly discontinued, as I haven't seen any in stock anywhere. Lack luster performance, poor quality hop up unit, requires a lot of internal work to be field worthy and consistent. No trademarks.

DE M89: 95% clone of the G&G UMG (can't mount a DE upper to a G&G lower or a G&G upper to a DE lower). Good upgrade platform, but the body is ABS and has a cheap, plasticy feel. No trademarks.

Umarex UMP: Licensed trademarks, has quick change spring system for in the field FPS changes. Supposed to be compatible with G&G/DE/CA mags, but I have no proof. I have not seen any quality or trustworthy independant reviews on it yet, so performance is still in question.

7. Sharp

Sharp Member

Waukesha
    As a previous owner of the DE, I'd say don't buy it. Sure it's cheap and the V.3 gearbox leaves a lot of upgrade potential...but overall it just felt like a poorly made, cheap gun.

8. weaps

weaps Active Member

Brunswick
    I've owned several De UMPs and they weren't that bad at all. Clean-up the gearbox, add metal bushings, re-shim, seal, and add a higher output spring and there you go. Globe Product Supply in Mich. has them brand new for $105.00. weaps.

9. Sparky_D

Pierce County
    I've owned at least 3 DE M89's (including one of the first to hit the US back in 2005 or so).
    While the body is indeed very cheap feeling, the performance potential should not be ignored.

A simple cleaning, regreasing, and reshimming of the gearbox in addition to AOE adjustment are all DIY mods that will make the M89 a serious contender in the field. Drop a few bucks on some quality upgrade parts like an SHS piston, ported piston head, o-ring nozzle, Deans connectors, Neo magnet torque motor, and you'll have a durable piece capable of running any spring from an M85 to an M120 without batting an eye...

10. weaps

weaps Active Member

Brunswick
    Hi Sparky, I remember the review you did on yours at ASR. weaps.

11. Sharp

Sharp Member

Waukesha

That could really be said for almost any V.3 gearbox, or any style gearbox really. V.3 gearboxes are amazing pieces, the UMP's is no exception, but the body I found seriously lacking. Not only did it feel cheap I found quite a few large seam lines and imperfections around the gun, it took some sanding to get the two receivers to sit perfectly flush (though it could have just been a lemon for me).

I really think it would be in OP's best interest to either save up for the G&G or check out the new Umarex one which looks like it has a lot of potential. With the quick change gearbox I have a slight itch it might be a clone (or the actual) Star/Ares UMP (it also has the magazine with proprietary-ness and the bullet window, though I don't think any fake bullets).

If you were to follow Sparky's lead no doubt on the inside you'd have a well performing gun, but I'd overall be worried about the longevity of the externals. I would also definitely recommend for any UMP looking into using a battery bag for your battery housing. IIRC getting the stick type in wasn't the easiest thing and I personally would rather have the versatility of being able to use almost any battery with a bag on your stock or mounted on the side.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  12. Sparky_D

Pierce County
    Meh, I ran 7.4V and 11.1V 1200-1600 mAh 20C stick lipo's in mine with great results (also installed a MOSFET to protect the trigger contacts).
    Batteries lasted all day long.
    I feel battery bags ruin the aesthetics of the design, not to mention eliminates the ability to close the stock for right handed shooters, unless you want the battery bag next to your cheek...

If the OP can find a G&G within his budget, then by all means that should be his first choice. I found my G&G for $130 LNIB on my local Craigslist.

13. weaps

weaps Active Member

Brunswick
    Sniperfifer, if you take out the battery tray/holder you should have no trouble using lipos which I did. weaps.