Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Asian, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Asian

Asian New Member

First off I would like to say I'm new to using forums but not playing airsoft. I've been playing for around 8 years now. Anyways, I'm working on my next gun purchase and have decided that the new JG M4 S-System would do nicely after some upgrades, I want to be able to reach out and touch someone from far far away, so I've picked out a few upgrades to help bump up my FPS and want a second and possibly third opinion on if the upgrades would work with my gun and if they would do what I want them to or if i should get different ones.

The upgrades:
    -Deepfire 150 Non-Linear Spring
    -Bravo Polycarbonate Piston with 10 Metal Teeth
    -Bravo Aluminum "Mushroom" Piston Head

Will these work in a stock JG S-System gearbox?

2. Southpawlegend

Southpawlegend New Member

Salisbury
    If you want distance you'd be better off upgrading your hop up and possibly a barrel upgrade

3. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
    Yes, he struck the nail on the head.Fps doesn't really have anything to do with range,Better off upgrading barrel and hop up.Like said above.

4. Asian

Asian New Member

It actually already has a 6.03 installed, but I might just add a hop up unit in with all the other upgrades. I feel like i need high FPS so that it won't lose momentum over long distance.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  5. Southpawlegend

Salisbury
    Then hop up is your key. Upgrading the spring will slow your ROF and add stress to your gearbox consider shimming and angle of engagement correction

6. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    FPS has nothing to do with range and accuracy. The hopup and barrel do.

Look into hopup mods, and the R hop. They are more worth your time for accuracy improvement than the parts you listed, and cheaper.

7. Asian

Asian New Member

I haven't ever heard of Angle of Engagement until recently what is that exactly and haw does it help with range. And I have a G4-A2 for ROF so all I really need is a gun that's good mid range and sniping.

8. Thestig

For range enhancements, AOE (Angle of Engagement) doesn't matter as much. For the durability of the gearbox it does, and so I suggest that it is done, along with shimming.

As I stated before, search here for the Hopup mods. Those, along with an R-Hop will get you the best range.

9. Asian

Asian New Member

So does everyone agree that with the gun already shooting 400 FPS and having a tightbore barrel that I should nix the piston, piston head, and spring upgrades, and instead get a better hop up?

Which one should I look into getting?

10. Thestig

Yes.

Look into Lonex, and SHS, just stay away from the Madbull one.

And like I have said mods. Mods will do the best. If you mod the stock hopup, it should be fine.

11. Southpawlegend

Salisbury
    I'm all about longevity and durability of your gun so I would say get the piston and and piston head anyway and get the r hop if you can. But if your on a budget hop up is most important for range

12. Asian

Asian New Member

Thanks to the both of you. I though that Range was heavy BB's and FPS, but I guess I need to look into Hop up instead. Thanks.

13. Southpawlegend

Salisbury
    Heavy bbs are important for accuracy I always use .36 in my sniper. Use like a .25 or .28 in an aeg

14. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You can actually achieve 300 feet effective range with "only" 1,5J, if you know what you're doing, that's an M120. If you install an R-hop and bump your BB weight up to .30g and fine tune your gun, 300 feet effective range is achievable. IMO most peopl use too light BB's, I would only use .20g BB's in grenades or shotguns where range and accuracy isn't important. I never use anything lighter than .25g in any of my BB's, even my 1J MP5K. My MP5K has an effective range of nearly 200 feet with a stock CYMA hop-up, stock TM 140mm barrel and .25g BB's, with a Guarder clear bucking. If I flat-hop it and use heavier BB's, it would go past 200 feet effective range. When I say effective range, I mean consistently hitting an opponent or an average sized tree at that range. I don't mention this to brag, more to crush that silly barrel length myth and FPS semi-myth.

Range is all about spin and momentum of the BB, so that's hop-up and weight, accuracy is all about consistency and structural stability of the gun.