Upgrade or buy a better gun?

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by SniperSoft, Apr 2, 2019.

1. SniperSoft

SniperSoft New Member

Hi, this is my first thread post, so be patient. I have a G&G CM16 (Raider), i am wondering whether to upgrade it (barrel, spring, gears, motor for 400 fps w/ .2 because its shooting 280 with .2's right now). Or buy a new gun. around $250 dollar budget for a new gun.

2. Honeybadgerz17

Honeybadgerz17 Well-Known Member

Bellevue
    If you dont know how to tech dont try to "upgrade" you only gun. Get a better one and then you can focus on learning to tech on your cm16. New techs are notorious for breaking guns and leaving them sit around and being money sinks over time... I was included in this

3. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Active Member

Seattleish
    If your combat machine is stock and shooting only 280, there's definitely an issue with its compression or you have your hopup absolutely cranked. You're a good 20% below the normal power of a stock CM.

SniperSoft and Chow like this.
  4. Chow

Chow Well-Known Member Supporting Member

DFW
    As the others said, don't try upgrading your current one until you're either ready to do so with knowledge of how to tech on it or are willing to let it become a work-in-progress/learning replica. If you get something that could be better, then you might look into what is causing the FPS loss in your Combat Machine. Instead of installing everything you listed that may not be completely necessary and will just add more costs, you may just need to fix some compression/air leak issues along with a basic tuning and cleaning of the gearbox and hop-up/barrel. With that and perhaps a ML packing/nub, you could be looking at a very functional and reliable replica for far less than installing various "upgrades" to fix this one issue.

Keep us updated,
    Chow

5. leerihai

leerihai Member

I will say there is a air seal issue at around the piston, cylinder and maybe nozzle, you can go roll on internet a bit to learn how to take your gun apart and diagnose the problem, that being said I will still recommend finding a reliable tech or maybe friend who knows what he or she is doing and let him handle it if that is a option, swap out the hop up bucking first before all those upgrades

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  6. Dickens75

Dickens75 New Member

I would recommend having a little more money and buying something that is well worth the money . If 250$ is all you have then I would go with a KWA M4 because they are revolutionary for the price . Or save up for a Marui , and cheerish it forever

aotsukisho likes this.
  7. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Nothing Revolutionary about a KWA M4. They are unchanged for over 7 years.

However, an Arcturus Poly M4 can be had for 150.00 shipped and their poly bodies are better than many low end starter "metal" bodies.

fred_ditto likes this.
  8. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oceanside
    Do they still offer metal body ARs?

9. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Nope....they went poly only.

10. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    Unfortunate... Having both as an option would've been nice.

11. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    I think you may like the durability of their Poly receivers.

12. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    I like heavier guns. I'm aware that the polymer is usually more durable.

13. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    They are not that "light" either.

I would say this is a HW poly AEG. Buy one for 120 shipped, don't like it flip it for 150.00

14. fred_ditto

fred_ditto Well-Known Member

Des Moines

I may just have to do that.

15. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Fred...your price is 110.00

VIP Repeat customer, literally at Cost...but I expect a review.

-Spitfire- and fred_ditto like this.
  16. Johan

Johan New Member

so true :) Did the same misstake but I kept teching and fixing my gun and now its super nice 1-2 fps difference! But yeah the costs on it damn could bought 2 guns lol

17. Cothonian

Cothonian Member

I'll second this.

Also, if you can take some extra time and save up some more money, guns in $350 range will serve you really well without any need of upgrades. Krytac guns have served me really well and I've heard good things about the VFC Avalons.

aotsukisho and fred_ditto like this.