Upgrade suggestions for the KWA CQR mod 2

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by hunter-sellers, Dec 27, 2012.

1. hunter-sellers

hunter-sellers New Member

Stockton
    Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and just recently for Christmas I got the KWA CQR. I want to bump the FPS up to around 400, what upgrades do you suggest? I have about 200 dollars.

2. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    Just change the cylinder to a Type 1 to get the proper cylinder/barrel volume ratio. Leave the rest stock and save your money for when it finally dies. Then you can afford a real overhaul (KWA is gonna need it).

3. hunter-sellers

Stockton
    Okay, thanks. And what do you mean KWA is going to need it? I thought KWA had some of the Best internals around?

4. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

No, KWA does not have some of the best internals. KWA just makes themselves look like they make the best stock guns around so they can get people to buy their guns. Their GBB's are pretty good, but their AEG's are lacking in the upgrade compatibility department and don't perform as well as they should for the price.

It seems like you're new to upgrading. I would suggest learning more information about gearboxes before opening up your gun. There are some great guides on this forum as well as around the internet that could help you out.

5. M4Ever

M4Ever New Member

San Antonio
    Well said. If you are looking for upgrading, KWA does not make it easy. The guns perform well, but not for the price. Which is unfortunate given their popularity. But, depending on the amount of use they get, they'll do very well.

6. hunter-sellers

Stockton
    Okay, thanks for clearing things up. I'm going to get my upgrades done by the professionals until I know my way around a gearbox or two. Thanks for your help and I'll see you around the forum!

7. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

You're welcome. ;) Getting your upgrades done by a decent tech until you have gearbox know-how is a good idea.

8. M4Ever

M4Ever New Member

San Antonio
    Baptism by fire!! DIY! No better feeling than using a gun you built yourself! Learn by doing!

Nah. Just get a tech to do it for you. Hahaha!

9. hunter-sellers

Stockton
    Haha, I'm not willing to take the chances of screwing up a 200 dollar gun XD

10. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    +1. Changing the cylinder out should get you closer to 400 fps. While you are in the gearbox, I would also change out the piston for an SHS blue full metal teeth piston and either a SHS or Guarder ported piston head. KWA piston O-Rings do tend to dry out rather quickly. If you want more fps after switching out the cylinder, switch out the stock spring for a Guarder SP110. Leave the stock gears alone. That should be all you need to play for quite awhile.

11. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

They aren't really bad, they just aren't quite as good as KWA themselves claim them to be.

12. hunter-sellers

Stockton
    If the gun already has a M110 spring... Then shouldn't I just throw an M120 in there?

13. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    Guarder SP110 is 'rated' about 360 FPS with .25g. So it's about equal to a standard M120.